• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in India

Who is a better option for India at No. 6 for the WI series?

• Total voters

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Have no idea what you mean tbh, wrt to International Cricket and you singled out more specifically Tests.Can see it turning into another IPL debate though.:p

Btw, I agree on the planning for tests aspect and it has lacked in many respects for a while now(Especially compared to England's planning), but the team planned very well for the World Cup and put a lot of effort into it, which may be part of the reason for bit of a dip after it.
Agreed. they all seemed to be somehwat uninterested.

sort of like 'couldn't care less' attitude.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Agreed. they all seemed to be somehwat uninterested.

sort of like 'couldn't care less' attitude.
Probably burnt out mentally. The players needed a break after the World Cup, instead they got 6 weeks of IPL, which, although 'just' a T20 tournament is fairly intense due to the amount of travelling involved. Same way that England's poor World Cup performances can be put down to a few of the team being mentally shot after a long Australian tour.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Have no idea what you mean tbh, wrt to International Cricket and you singled out more specifically Tests.Can see it turning into another IPL debate though.:p

Btw, I agree on the planning for tests aspect and it has lacked in many respects for a while now(Especially compared to England's planning), but the team planned very well for the World Cup and put a lot of effort into it, which may be part of the reason for bit of a dip after it.
dude, just talking about how professional ECB are and how much help they give their team and players.. They have an actual A team programme, they ensure they get enough days between games and have workload plans for each player, track and maintain each players' fitness, ensure they get enough tour games on any tour etc.. These are where ECB score over BCCI and the reason, I feel, is that they want their team to be the best. Sometimes, I feel the BCCI simply want to make the most money from our team and plan the whole calendar with that thought alone in mind.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
dude, just talking about how professional ECB are and how much help they give their team and players.. They have an actual A team programme, they ensure they get enough days between games and have workload plans for each player, track and maintain each players' fitness, ensure they get enough tour games on any tour etc.. These are where ECB score over BCCI and the reason, I feel, is that they want their team to be the best. Sometimes, I feel the BCCI simply want to make the most money from our team and plan the whole calendar with that thought alone in mind.
This. Compare England's Ashes preparation with the Indian players' workload after the World Cup.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
This. Compare England's Ashes preparation with the Indian players' workload after the World Cup.
But on the other hand, India's planning (which started earlier) and preparation for the World Cup(this one at least) was much better than England.

Flem274*

123/5
England didn't care about the world cup though.

That's neglect obviously, but if India plan for the world cup then neglect to plan ahead for a clash with their rivals for the number one test spot, then that's worse.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I agree on that aspect with you mostly. Wasn't just clear as to what point you were exactly trying to make, and also the degree of Priorities are different for both countries probably too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But on the other hand, India's planning (which started earlier) and preparation for the World Cup(this one at least) was much better than England.
Yes, they planned well, but I get the funny feeling that it was only because BCCI understood how important it would be to win a WC. They could sell the players on the back of that for the next 4 years and don't have to plan this much again anytime.. The typical take the short/lazy route there from BCCI. They can't plan this way for tests coz there is no WC and you have to plan and give every series equal importance. They just CBF doing that coz they are busy selling some other piece of Indian cricket for a price. Damn, I m tired of the BCCI and what they are doing to the players and fans alike..

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
England didn't care about the world cup though.

That's neglect obviously, but if India plan for the world cup then neglect to plan ahead for a clash with their rivals for the number one test spot, then that's worse.
But as i said 95% of Indian fans(at least) would rather win the World Cup, than the India vs England or West Indies series though. I would too, and I am among the Indian CW fans , who give tests more rather than the average fan.

So when the planning was upto the World Cup for a while, then there was bound to be fatigue and bit of staleness in the mindset afterwards. The Workload afterwords and the planning didn't help.

I disagree that England didn't care about the World Cup either. They certainly did care, probably as much as India cared about any Test series after that.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, they planned well, but I get the funny feeling that it was only because BCCI understood how important it would be to win a WC. They could sell the players on the back of that for the next 4 years and don't have to plan this much again anytime.. The typical take the short/lazy route there from BCCI. They can't plan this way for tests coz there is no WC and you have to plan and give every series equal importance. They just CBF doing that coz they are busy selling some other piece of Indian cricket for a price. Damn, I m tired of the BCCI and what they are doing to the players and fans alike..
Ideally, they should plan properly for both and can suck at that from time to time.

But they planned for the right thing which could save their asses. The reaction to the dismal performance in England has been nothing compared to the massive reaction/outrage and effigy burning:p that was there after the 2007 World Cup.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ideally, they should plan properly for both and can suck at that from time to time.

But they planned for the right thing which could save their asses. The reaction to the dismal performance in England has been nothing compared to the massive reaction/outrage and effigy burning:p that was there after the 2007 World Cup.
Well, that may be the reality, but I am just frustrated coz I love tests more than the other formats and I think there is real potential with this Indian side and the current crop of players. We are just not doing our best to harness all that and simply trying to live off the easy way... Anyways, I have given enough vent to my frustration on this issue. :)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Because the World Cup comes on the back of an Ashes tour, which is a far tougher tour than any other in world cricket. That's why both boards have moved the Ashes, because an Ashes series before the World Cup benefits neither side.

Athlai

Not Terrible
England is also **** at ODIs. Plan all you like, players aren't miraculously going to become better.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
England is also **** at ODIs. Plan all you like, players aren't miraculously going to become better.
I think the players being mentally shot (in particular, Anderson) after a long tour of Australia certainly didn't help. If we'd had better preparation for the World Cup, we'd have performed better than we did. Whether that would have been good enough to get any further than the quarter finals is another question entirely.