• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Things that will happen before Sachin's 100th 100

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
By the way, Ganguly has never been the one who goes over-the-top in praise of Tendulkar. During his captaincy years, he always maintained that Dravid was the best test batsman in his team.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Almost every post in this thread is making fun of some other thing in order to make fun of Tendulkar. I made fun of the overreactions of his fans to make fun of him. I didn't think it was that difficult to follow.
How does alluding to the over reaction of fans make fun of the cricketer? Now you're just trying to wrangle your way out of this. :laugh:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
And yet he called him better than Bradman, didn't he? :laugh:

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
And yet he called him better than Bradman. :laugh:
Did he? Any links please... (I think Dhoni said that, not Ganguly)

Well, I've heard Zaheer Abbas and one great fast bowler from yesteryears (Richard Hadlee?) say so - not Ganguly. If someone calls Tendulkar better than Bradman - that would be more of an ignorance about history, and being dismissive about quality of cricket during Bradman-era. That would not be an over-the-top praise for Tendulkar, unless the person also thinks that Tendulkar is twice as good as any of his contemporaries.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
How does alluding to the over reaction of fans make fun of the cricketer? Now you're just trying to wrangle your way out of this. :laugh:
LOL, are you kidding? Maybe you don't get it, because you're Indian yourself, but the deification of him and the extent his fans go to is pretty funny. Making fun of that could be construed as saying "it's not that big of a deal/achievement" and could be seen to downplay his achievements. You know, that's kinda why, I'm betting, my post has gotten this reaction.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Did he? Any links please...

Well, I've heard Zaheer Abbas and one great fast bowler from yesteryears (Richard Hadlee?) say so - not Ganguly. If someone calls Tendulkar better than Bradman - that would be more of an ignorance about history, and being dismissive about quality of cricket during Bradman-era. That would not be an over-the-top praise for Tendulkar, unless the person also thinks that Tendulkar is twice as good as any of his contemporaries.
I'll try to find it, it was an interview/panel discussion I saw a while ago.

It could be seen as both: ignorance of history and over-the-top praise of Tendulkar. Neither are encouraging signs.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'll try to find it, it was an interview/panel discussion I saw a while ago.

It could be seen as both: ignorance of history and over-the-top praise of Tendulkar. Neither are encouraging signs.
Ignorance of history is actually a quite common trait among International cricketers worldwide - so nothing to get surprised here.

Ask someone like Ponting who Vijay Merchant or Kumar Ranjitsinhji was, and I don't think his views will be illuminating.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
LOL, are you kidding? Maybe you don't get it, because you're Indian yourself, but the deification of him and the extent his fans go to is pretty funny. Making fun of that could be construed as saying "it's not that big of a deal/achievement" and could be seen to downplay his achievements. You know, that's kinda why, I'm betting, my post has gotten this reaction.
Utter bollocks. You're just playing out a self-fulfilling prophecy. :laugh:

Ikki: Tendulkar's fans are super sensitive and deify him!

Fans: No, we're not that sort.

Ikki: ^See what I mean?!?!111 Their denial is ironically proof of the validity of my assertion!!11 And also, I meant that as a mechanism to poke fun at the player, not the fans! Honest!

Fans: :unsure:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Utter bollocks. You're just playing out a self-fulfilling prophecy. :laugh:

Ikki: Tendulkar's fans are super sensitive and deify him!

Fans: No, we're not that sort.

Ikki: ^See what I mean?!?!111 Their denial is ironically proof of the validity of my assertion!!11 And also, I meant that as a mechanism to poke fun at the player, not the fans! Honest!

Fans: :unsure:
Christ, I've not seen someone try so hard to ignore the obvious. So my making fun of the over-reaction to Sachin's achievements doesn't demean Sachin in any way? It definitively does so because it sends the message that his achievements aren't that big in relation to the praise he gets. And that wouldn't offend someone? To say your achievements are exaggerated?

Haha, whatever mate.

Ignorance of history is actually a quite common trait among International cricketers worldwide - so nothing to get surprised here.

Ask someone like Ponting who Vijay Merchant or Kumar Ranjitsinhji was, and I don't think his views will be illuminating.
Not really, for neither of those two compare to the example of Bradman. Because, you only have to know ONE thing to be right about Bradman: 99.94.

It's either huge ignorance, or incredible bias. Not much middle ground there.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Ikki is a black hole for humour around here. Sucks it right out of threads that have any.:p

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Need a shovel, ikki?
Haha, if it wasn't so obvious you might have made sense.

Wanre is the worst leg spinner ever to hold a cricket ball in his hand.

Srs, kid lives next door and can't bowl for ****.
Doesn't seem one of those things has been delayed.:p

Launching into Ganguly, again - Hindustan Times
Which reaction? Pointing out that Warne is a worshipper of Tendulkar, and Tendulkar's achievements are bitter pills to Chappell?
The reactions themselves give it away. They are trying to poke fun at cricketers I rate in order to get a rise out of me - because I got it out of them, evidently. If you were right, they would have just made fun of reactions of fans for those cricketers.

But they didn't, and we both know why.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ikki is a black hole for humour around here. Sucks it right out of threads that have any.:p
Haha, not my fault this time. Just read the thread again. After my comment they are almost without fail butthurt posts. Calm down gents.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Haha, if it wasn't so obvious you might have made sense.

The reactions themselves give it away. They are trying to poke fun at cricketers I rate in order to get a rise out of me - because I got it out of them, evidently. If you were right, they would have just made fun of reactions of fans for those cricketers.

But they didn't, and we both know why.
You haven't even met or even know this 'Wanre" I am referring to you filthy liar.:p

G.I.Joe

International Coach
They did it because you got a raise out of them with a self fulfilling prophecy. Try and get that through, ikki. :laugh:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
They did it because you got a raise out of them with a self fulfilling prophecy. Try and get that through, ikki. :laugh:
And if they tried to reverse my comment on me, based on the meaning you suggest it conveys, then they'd make fun of fans reactions to the cricketers named, not the actual cricketers themselves. But they didn't, oops.

You're too biased to see this :ph34r:

You haven't even met or even know this 'Wanre" I am referring to you filthy liar.:p
:laugh: funny ****.

Last edited: