• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in India

Who is a better option for India at No. 6 for the WI series?

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Via cricinfo:

"The reason for attendance is simple. Me and my wife started from home at 8.00 on a winter morning (that too on a Sunday). Spend 100 bucks on Auto. Reach here a 8.30 to find out that there is no ticket counter at the stadium (because it is Sunday). Went to a near by bank branch after roaming for an hour. After jostling for an hour got the tkts and enter the stadium at 10.30. On internet only season tickets are available. There were a lot of people who went back including kids. We persisted but nearly gave up."

"In continuation, only 100 Rs tickets were available. Higher category stands, even though vacant are not being sold. But the effort reminded me of my college days when we used to find our ways to movie tickets." Three cheers to the marketing geniuses who choose not to sell tickets worth over Rs. 100 to people who want to buy them. I understand every other VIP in Delhi, and his doormat, gets a free complimentary pass. I don't understand why they get them if they aren't interested in watching Test cricket.

LOL BCCI.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Via cricinfo:

LOL BCCI.
Haha!! Delhi and it's VIP culture.

In any case, Cricinfo tends to overplay these things. Tickets and passes if not officially(though they are usually) are pretty easily available unofficially at the ground or you can go to the banks and get tickets earlier.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha!! Delhi and it's VIP culture.

In any case, Cricinfo tends to overplay these things. Tickets and passes if not officially(though they are usually) are pretty easily available unofficially at the ground or you can go to the banks and get tickets earlier.
It's not overplaying it though. It is an utterly ******** system.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
It's not overplaying it though. It is an utterly ******** system.
Yes it is, when you get the one person who has probably had the worst experience and tell him to dictate his account and then make assertions based on that only.

The system is far from perfect, but generally Cricinfo overplays it. Guess overplaying could help sort it out quicker though.

The ticketing for IPL is much much better.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes it is, when you get the one person who has probably had the worst experience and tell him to dictate his account and then make assertions based on that only.

The system is far from perfect, but generally Cricinfo overplays it. Guess overplaying could help sort it out quicker though.

The fact that the ticket counter is closed because it's Sunday while the stands are empty and there is a game going on is so beyond stupid that it's really not possible to overplay it. Also, a bank....really?

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Possibly the understatement of the year.

There's a game going on at a stadium. I quite fancy attending. The most logical thing for me to do would be to head to the stadium and purchase a ticket, assuming that the event isn't sold out. To have to find a branch of a bank to buy a ticket because the ticket counter is closed despite a game being in progress is so beyond stupid that I don't know where to start. To be told that only certain tickets are available and that I can't buy a ticket for certain seats, despite those seats being empty and the fact that I am willing to pay extra for a better seat is pretty stupid as well.

Woodster

International Captain
A top knock from Chanderpaul today to emphasise his importance in this inexperienced batting line-up. Brathwaite was very disciplined, played in his areas, was very patient, not great to watch but did an effective support role for Chanders and held his end up admirably in conditions not particularly conducive to free-flowing strokeplay.

The fact that is wasn't easy to score quickly shows how good an innings it was from Shiv. Not only for the obvious reason of reaching three figures undefeated, but the tempo of his innings was spot on. Knowing that the inexperienced Brathwaite was scoring slowly, he recognised it was important for him to keep the scorer ticking so the pressure on the young opener didn't grow with the board going nowhere.

The way he kept the scoreboard ticking was a lesson for any batsman in how to play on these decks. He worked the ball into the gaps extremely well, his wrists working perfectly to angle the ball into the spaces and his judgement of the runs good. He used his feet effectively, and also hit two lovely sixes down the ground with sweet timing. He swept well on the odd occasion, but it was a true masterclass overall.

I don't always look forward to watching Chanderpaul bat, but today he lit up the opening day and put WI in a decent position, big morning session on day two.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Good to see the strongest possible batting lineup selected. Bowling lineup pretty poor as usual.
Hope no one gets injured during the series. This could have been a good chance to select Jadeja.
None of the bowlers can hold a bat except Ashwin. Nevertheless, the way the Bangers have played the WI bowlers, I dont think it ll come to that.

Are there any WI posters around in CW?
Yep there are.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Chanderpaul. What a legend. Another hundred runs would be ideal. Then knock off dads army for under 200

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The fact that the ticket counter is closed because it's Sunday while the stands are empty and there is a game going on is so beyond stupid that it's really not possible to overplay it. Also, a bank....really?
Tickets have been sold at Banks and online for a long while in India.

Possibly the understatement of the year.

There's a game going on at a stadium. I quite fancy attending. The most logical thing for me to do would be to head to the stadium and purchase a ticket, assuming that the event isn't sold out. To have to find a branch of a bank to buy a ticket because the ticket counter is closed despite a game being in progress is so beyond stupid that I don't know where to start. To be told that only certain tickets are available and that I can't buy a ticket for certain seats, despite those seats being empty and the fact that I am willing to pay extra for a better seat is pretty stupid as well.
Just to get the facts right -
The ticket counter is usually closed for ODI'S as most of the tickets are sold in any case/passes distributed and it can cause, chaos there, but is open for tests. Don't know why it wasn't this time around though. Maybe a big crowd was expected with it being a Sunday.
Also all the tickets should be available at the bank, don't why it wasn't this time.

Secondly usually for any international match the tickets are priced at Rs.300 a day atleast for the cheapest. And this time 5 day passes for the cheapest section are selling for Rs. 400 online, and that is probably the reason they didn't offer one day tickets online.

Thirdly, hardly anyone sits in the cheapest section for test matches if the stadium is not close to capacity and they allow everyone to sit in the lower stands in any case rather than keep them empty and send them upstairs, which i imagine would have been the case yesterday too.

The biggest problem is not what that guy seems to be outlining but the VIP pass system which means that the members of DDCA all distribute passes etc.. to their contacts and then the attendance can be dependent on that. Though that is usually the case with the most expensive sections of the ground. Don't know why this time they aren't allegedly selling the mid raged tickets if he wanted to buy it. Perhaps made it flat at Rs.100 to get more attendance i don't know.

It's a stupid system alright and far from perfect, but that quote is revealing half the truth and you should know how it works probably to deal with it.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
looks like a true to form collapse by the Windies..

Chanders, WAG though.. Keeps churing out the runs, especially against us.. :(

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Ohja WAG

if they can knock off these last 2 in the next 15 minutes I might actually stay up for a bit, Viru on his home ground 8)

miscer

U19 Cricketer
Delhi gets a pretty decent crowd for test matches, tbf.

Mohali is the worst crowd in India, IMO.
no, no, there are no bad crowds. (unless they do something ridiculous like set fire to the ground lol). mean just look at some other sports such as basketball. you go to the stadium and when the opposition is going for a freethrow they are actively distracted by the crowd using those long shaky things.
Point being, competitive spirit is good! So what if the crowd boos the opposition? Idk maybe it's just me who enjoys fierce, cut-throat competition.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
A Career best 6-72 for Ohja and Ashwin getting 3 on debut, good stuff.

Now for some Viru fireworks before lunch plz

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This WI team is a very low benchmark on the lead-up to the Aussie tour. Ideally, Ishant and Umesh should have shared more than five wickets, as Ishant was tight and Umesh was rushing it in very fast. Their success is a lot more relevant than that of Ojha and Ashwin, who have bowled well today but were unspectacular. They've grabbed their opportunity, but in the long run, will be found out. Expect them to be carted around in Australia, against a far superior batting side on flatter (and harder) pitches, like Murali Kartik in 2004. A bowling performance shooting (or nudging) them out under 300 on Day One would be better than this.

That comment on the poor Indian lower-order is a bit of an exaggeration, as Ishant can hang around a long time, though he's not a run-scoring option like a Swann or Broad or Bresnan. However, since Ojha and Umesh can't bat at all, five bowlers is a difficult proposition, but you have options in Ashwin, Praveen, Vinay and a few who have been discarded but still have it in them.

Why, Yuvraj Singh can play as a left-arm spinner, but didn't bowl more than an over or two. That was disappointing.

Fielding was average, but better than what we saw in England. But once batting sides apply pressure on them, they fall apart.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
no, no, there are no bad crowds. (unless they do something ridiculous like set fire to the ground lol). mean just look at some other sports such as basketball. you go to the stadium and when the opposition is going for a freethrow they are actively distracted by the crowd using those long shaky things.
Point being, competitive spirit is good! So what if the crowd boos the opposition? Idk maybe it's just me who enjoys fierce, cut-throat competition.
The Mohali crowd is a little too boorish during IPL matches. I can understand fierce bias, but please, leave the cheerleaders alone!

The bad crowds are in lesser places, who pelt bottles on the ground during a match. Not just in the Western towns, but in most small towns that don't get too many games. I can understand that 'fire to the stands' bit, as that particular crowd is a very emotional gathering, but when players are threatened, it's not acceptable.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
The Mohali crowd is a little too boorish during IPL matches. I can understand fierce bias, but please, leave the cheerleaders alone!

The bad crowds are in lesser places, who pelt bottles on the ground during a match. Not just in the Western towns, but in most small towns that don't get too many games. I can understand that 'fire to the stands' bit, as that particular crowd is a very emotional gathering, but when players are threatened, it's not acceptable.
oh yea ofcourse. don't mean to say players should ever feel threatened at all. no throwing stuff or anything either lol. I just meant stuff like booing the opposition and being passionate in general and whatnot.