• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Zimbabwe

Flem274*

123/5
Watling's had a horror match really. Could have redeemed himself somewhat in the selectors eyes if he got that in his favour.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Crazy talk. Srs. If I was Taylor in a tense Test, no way would I take the word of some **** claiming a catch.
I certainly wouldn't if I was the batsman either; I'm talking about from an umpiring perspective. The replays should have to disprove the claimed catch rather than prove it.

I wasn't suggesting that we abandon replays and go by the fielder's word for everything; just when the replays are inconclusive.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Set up for an epic apres tea session, anyway.

I think WRT the Taylor/Watling (non) catch it's one of those situations where common sense should be applied. Anyone who's watched cricket on the telly is well aware of the foreshortening effect of the cameras, so if it goes upstairs it's usually a fair bet one angle will be inconclusive.

The trouble is with taking the fielder's word for it is that the likes of Clarke and de Villiers have now made it foolhardy to do so.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
14 overs from Vettori presumably to come, so that’s less than 30 runs for Zim. Need Patel on at the other hand to make it.

Catch aside, NZ deserve nothing here. What a hopeless performance, Vettori was bowling flat nonsense over the wicket after the first 40 minutes today. Taylor has played an unbelievable knock; those onside bunts off Patel for 6 were awesome.

Should be the last test for a few Kiwis here. Can't see how Martin and Patel can carry on after this.

Flem274*

123/5
Malcolm Waller will be crucial. It's unlikely these two will get all the way there by themselves, so he and the keeper are petty damn important to protect that tail. Waller is in good nick though, so he will be backing himself.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I certainly wouldn't if I was the batsman either; I'm talking about from an umpiring perspective. The replays should have to disprove the claimed catch rather than prove it.

I wasn't suggesting that we abandon replays and go by the fielder's word for everything; just when the replays are inconclusive.
If you take that stance and make it public though, players might start celebrating even when they know they haven't caught it in the hope that replays are inconclusive.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If you take that stance and make it public though, players might start celebrating even when they know they haven't caught it in the hope that replays are inconclusive.
There's still a massive stigma involved with falsely claiming a catch though so if they were proven wrong it's a big black mark against them. Don't think it'd happen that often.