• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Zimbabwe

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
1. Patel is a better batsman than Price.
2. Southee is a much, much better batsman than Jarvis.
3. The difference between Patel and McCullum on bowling alone is much greater than the difference between Ncube and Meth on bowling alone (in fact I actually think Meth is the better bowler; that he'd add something to the lower order just makes it even more annoying). Nathan McCullum isn't remotely close to being a Test standard bowler.
4. When Patel was batting 8 in the Test team for that whole one Test match, I did not support the decision in the slightest. The fact that it wasn't "Random Over-rated Player You Thought Of Because He Plays ODIs #28342873472374234" I suggested play ahead of him isn't relevant at all to the general theory.
How many test match playing countries in the world would Patel make the team for? I am asking if you think he is test match standard.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How many test match playing countries in the world would Patel make the team for? I am asking if you think he is test match standard.
I. Wouldn't. Have. Picked. Patel. For. That. Match. Either.

I can't begin to express just how little your line of posting has to be with what was I saying. The fact that Patel shouldn't have been playing doesn't mean Nathan McCullum of all people should have.

Meridio

International Regular
I seem to remember Patel only got in the NZ side because, of all things, supposed death bowling ability. Remember a few televised domestic games where Fleming was captaining Wellington and he had Patel bowl at the death in those games, which Wellington won. Can't say I have any knowledge of how well he'd done in domestic cricket prior to that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I seem to remember Patel only got in the NZ side because, of all things, supposed death bowling ability. Remember a few televised domestic games where Fleming was captaining Wellington and he had Patel bowl at the death in those games, which Wellington won. Can't say I have any knowledge of how well he'd done in domestic cricket prior to that.
He'd been dire in domestic cricket prior to that; averaged above 40 in both forms. He got into the ODI side as a death bowler, and while that didn't work out for him, he took a few really aesthetically pleasing wickets on turning pitches in what I think was the Champions Trophy, and the rest is history.

Flem274*

123/5
He'd been dire in domestic cricket prior to that; averaged above 40 in both forms. He got into the ODI side as a death bowler, and while that didn't work out for him, he took a few really aesthetically pleasing wickets on turning pitches in what I think was the Champions Trophy, and the rest is history.
Yep, 3/11 against India.

Tbf to him, he's been played on flat pitches in almost all his tests, half of the time in the subcontinent. But it doesn't excuse just how innocuous he has been.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
He's got his 200 wickets at 35. Lets drop him.:ph34r:

I don'tt understand Martin. He goes from dismantling India on a motorway with hooping inswingers to getting tap from Zimbabwe bowling wide of offstump.
lacking motivation ? not taking zimbs seriously? perhaps he's just getting himself back into touch since he hasn't played a test for so long..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think if the batsmen dig in we can avoid innings defeats, it's the getting them out bit that worries me.

Vettori -> number six, and include another bowler imo. Bracewell can bat at eight, Southee nine.
Bracewell might remind them just enough of Bresnan to make them start inexplicably fishing every ball.

Flem274*

123/5
Bracewell might remind them just enough of Bresnan to make them start inexplicably fishing every ball.
I was thinking earlier today that he's a very similar player to Bresnan in some ways and he's going to get underestimated and patronised as a result, especially since he is a kiwi.