• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Zimbabwe

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The long tail really is starting to piss me off. There's no way Ncube is a better bowler than Meth or Lamb by enough distance to justify picking three #11s and a #10.
Didn't see you arguing for Ncullum's inclusion in the test team ahead of patel when we had patel coming in at 8.

Nigel Benjamin

U19 12th Man
The long tail really is starting to piss me off. There's no way Ncube is a better bowler than Meth or Lamb by enough distance to justify picking three #11s and a #10.
Lamb underwent hip surgery recently so was unavailable. Meth though should be playing. I don't know why these selectors still have their jobs when they've clearly shown everyone they don't know what they are doing. Ncube has nothing special tbh while Meth can swing the ball both way(though he lacks pace) and his lower order batting is something Zim could use.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All the spinners (except Patel) have been economical so far, so I don't really see Zimbabwe chasing it yet. I think they'd have to basically bat this whole session without losing a wicket. Vettori plugging one end even if he's not taking wickets will eventually build up some sort of pressure, so long as the other guy doesn't bowl complete tripe. Zimbabwe's tail is so horrible it creates its own pressure on the proper batsmen - there could be 30 needed with 7 wickets and still reasonably get bowled out.

Flem274*

123/5
I reckon Zimbabwe are a good shout. We have only three bowlers (not a typo, run at me Athers:p), and one of them is a debutant, one sucks in the second innings, and the other is getting smashed.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
how so

NCullum is probably equally as ineffective as patel wicketwise. and would probably go for the same run rate.
1. Patel is a better batsman than Price.
2. Southee is a much, much better batsman than Jarvis.
3. The difference between Patel and McCullum on bowling alone is much greater than the difference between Ncube and Meth on bowling alone (in fact I actually think Meth is the better bowler; that he'd add something to the lower order just makes it even more annoying). Nathan McCullum isn't remotely close to being a Test standard bowler.
4. When Patel was batting 8 in the Test team for that whole one Test match, I did not support the decision in the slightest. The fact that it wasn't "Random Over-rated Player You Thought Of Because He Plays ODIs #28342873472374234" I suggested play ahead of him isn't relevant at all to the general theory.

Flem274*

123/5
Getting progressively grumpier at the inclusion of Patel and Watling in the side. We could have had a look at Boult (who should be playing anyway), Broom or even Aldridge's medium pacers in this series but we went back to them...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lots of talk about how crap Patel is in general and it's not too far off the mark but Martin has been genuinely poor all Test as well. They've taken to Patel because he's bluffing but Martin has bowled far worse despite having more to him, IMO.

Flem274*

123/5
Martin leaking runs all over the place. WAC
He's got his 200 wickets at 35. Lets drop him.:ph34r:

I don'tt understand Martin. He goes from dismantling India on a motorway with hooping inswingers to getting tap from Zimbabwe bowling wide of offstump.