• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India

Fusion

Global Moderator
I’ve deleted some rubbish posts from this thread.

Just so everyone’s aware – Kohli_fan received an infraction for a portion of his post that was deemed inappropriate. He’s been made aware that if he continues to post like that, he’ll find himself banned. Everyone else needs to stop responding to that, or any, post that’s considered trolling. Report it to us please and let us handle it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I reckon they have been building up to one for the last 40 years.......

I am sure there must be some plan.
There is, but we have a habit of panicing and tearing up that plan 3 months before the World Cup, then spending the knockout phases watching the other teams jealously and wondering where things went wrong.

Kohli_fan

Banned
I’ve deleted some rubbish posts from this thread.

Just so everyone’s aware – Kohli_fan received an infraction for a portion of his post that was deemed inappropriate. He’s been made aware that if he continues to post like that, he’ll find himself banned. Everyone else needs to stop responding to that, or any, post that’s considered trolling. Report it to us please and let us handle it.
I do apologise i thought banter was ok and if it over stepped the mark then sorry but I did feel provoked!

Kohli_fan

Banned
There is, but we have a habit of panicing and tearing up that plan 3 months before the World Cup, then spending the knockout phases watching the other teams jealously and wondering where things went wrong.
Now it seems given your performance in this series that you are doing the opposite? Sitting back and hoping it comes good in 2015?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now it seems given your performance in this series that you are doing the opposite? Sitting back and hoping it comes good in 2015?
Not really, if we had picked exactly the same squad that failed in the world cup that would be sitting back. Instead we have blooded a few new players and rested some senior ones who have been on the go a long time with English summer, ashes, world cup and then English summer meaning they have had a lot of cricket with little break.

Ok the new guys have failed but until they play you don't know about them.

Kohli_fan

Banned
Not really, if we had picked exactly the same squad that failed in the world cup that would be sitting back. Instead we have blooded a few new players and rested some senior ones who have been on the go a long time with English summer, ashes, world cup and then English summer meaning they have had a lot of cricket with little break.

Ok the new guys have failed but until they play you don't know about them.

True. although I do not think the guys in the current squad are or will be capable of winning a World Cup you need a bigger blend of youth and experience for me!

That being said Morgan was a big miss for you, I think he is an outstanding middle order player and finisher and he is the kind of foil you need to make imposing ODI totals.

Woodster

International Captain
Plenty of Indian fans enjoying this series, and why shouldn't you. You were embarrassed in our conditions in Tests and surprisingly in ODI's, so this will feel like some small form of revenge, although I don't think too much of this has come as a surprise. England still have many things to sort out in the ODI's, at home we're as good as anyone, away from there and especially on the sub-continent, we struggle.

In Test matches it's a whole different ball game. That's why this series is not of great interest to me personally. Had we been 4-0 down in a Test series, I'd be hugely disappointed, but I cannot imagine that being the case. We are a different team, execute our plans much better, everyone is fully aware of their roles, and they all fortunately, happen to be blinking good at them.

Would fancy us in any series right now, with SA on their turf probably being the toughest assignment.

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
England-India Test series

Last time England beat India in a Test Series (before this summer) was in 1996.Since then India won a series in India in 2001-02 and won another series in England 2007.In between one series was drawn in England during 2002 and another was drawn in India during 2006-07.Last time England won a series in India,was in 1984-85

In short, during the last fifteen years England had not won a series against India either at home or away,whereas India had registered series victories at home and away over England,during this period. England's last series win in India was 26 years ago,

The bottom line is, don't read too much in England's recent performances against a depleted Australian team and a jaded injury- hit Indian team.The present Number one position is a hollow one as was India's Top ranking a few months ago.Neither of these teams deserve to be the No.1 team in their present state

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Last time England beat India in a Test Series (before this summer) was in 1996.Since then India won a series in India in 2001-02 and won another series in England 2007.In between one series was drawn in England during 2002 and another was drawn in India during 2006-07.Last time England won a series in India,was in 1984-85

In short, during the last fifteen years England had not won a series against India either at home or away,whereas India had registered series victories at home and away over England,during this period. England's last series win in India was 26 years ago,

The bottom line is, don't read too much in England's recent performances against a depleted Australian team and a jaded injury- hit Indian team.The present Number one position is a hollow one as was India's Top ranking a few months ago.Neither of these teams deserve to be the No.1 team in their present state
So who does?

ganeshran

International Debutant
LOL we cannot downplay England's performance just because we lost. They were better in all three departments and hence the scoreline.

Woodster

International Captain

Interesting how you say don't read too much into England's recent form, yet read plenty into a series 2001-02, when the current players were nowhere near the Test side. Interesting theory.

Think you can read plenty into the recent performances of both sides, and you're certainly correct when you say one of these sides don't deserve to be No.1.

ganeshran

International Debutant
I have never understood one bit of the deserving/non deserving ranking business. The ranking formula is pre determined by the ICC and equally applicable to all teams. If you are at the top, that means you deserve it on the basis of performances in the past. If you are unable to sustain the performance, you will eventually be knocked over the top by some other team. If all round domination is the only criteria to "deserve" a ranking then no one else except Windies and Aussies have ever deserved it.

Fans who cannot digest some other team being at the top or winning usually manufacture some excuse to make themselves feel better.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Worst post.

2 questions:

1. In what way were Australia depleted?
2. In what way were India "injury hit" during the Test series?

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
Any thoughts on the consequences of this series for England? Have Cook's captaincy credentials been damaged? Is Bopara heading for the exit?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Would fancy us in any series right now, with SA on their turf probably being the toughest assignment.
AFAIC India at home should be clearly tougher than South Africa at home for England right now. South Africa don't really have a flash home record either.

Yes, India played really poorly in England and were outclassed but have a feeling that people are underestimating the Indian in team in all conditions too much as a result.

India have lost less series than Australia at home since 1990 IIRC and it has been a period in which Australia dominated for a large while and India were mid tablish in the rankings.

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
AFAIC India at home should be clearly tougher than South Africa at hoe for England right now. South Africa don't really have a flash home record too.

Yes, India played really poorly in England and were outclassed but have a feeling that people are underestimating the Indian in team in all conditions too much as a result.

India have lost less series than Australia at home since 1990 IIRC and it has been a period in which Australia dominated for a large while and India were mid tablish in the rankings.
AWTA. The tour of England was a nightmare and I do think the bottom has been reached and the only way forward is up.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LOL we cannot downplay England's performance just because we lost. They were better in all three departments and hence the scoreline.
As are India in this one day series. Some of the England fielding has been abysmal. I have noticed the Indians have raised their fielding standards a lot from the shambles that was on show in England too.

Woodster

International Captain
AFAIC India at home should be clearly tougher than South Africa at home for England right now. South Africa don't really have a flash home record either.

AWTA. The tour of England was a nightmare and I do think the bottom has been reached and the only way forward is up.
India is a tough proposition, don't get me wrong, but they are ageing side, that are struggling finding the right bowling attack to penetrate, especially when Zaheer is missing.

India have an excellent record at home, but that's not to say it will carry on forever.

SA seem a stronger team that are on the up with players at the right age.