• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree with greican that Flower and Strauss wouldn't have said anything if Dhoni hadn't recalled Bell. This English team and management has been absolutely professional in everything they have done (on the field and off) and are being lead by a very level headed captain and coach.
Oh gawd I hate to contradict one of the few people in my life that has agreed with me, but I'm not saying they wouldn't have said anything, it's a Schroedinger's box thing, I don't think there's any definite they would have said anything or not. So no point theorizing.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oh gawd I hate to contradict one of the few people in my life that has agreed with me, but I'm not saying they wouldn't have said anything, it's a Schroedinger's box thing, I don't think there's any definite they would have said anything or not. So no point theorizing.
I don't think they would have, neither man strikes me as someone who says anything more than they absolutely have to and quite why you'd want to potentially provoke the Indian players and management into adopting a siege mentality around Dhoni is beyond me.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh course they would of said something! Does nobody remember Strauss's expression on the balcony? Could quite clearly see what he thought of it.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh course they would of said something! Does nobody remember Strauss's expression on the balcony? Could quite clearly see what he thought of it.
The most you'd have got is a "I don't personally agree with the decision" and I don't think we'd have even had that. I think it would have been "It's their decision, we respect that and we'll leave it up to other people to judge"

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Isn't that something to do with him being England coach and the English media but, apart from that Flower rarely says much except his customary after the series interview. The only reason he's been in the news recently was because of Swann's book which he got asked about.
At the end of the day this about Dhoni's comments and all he should be concerning himself about is his own team, instead of trying to take some sort of upperhand in a non event.
If the English players were warned and the Indian players complained to him, then yes, I would think it is an event. I don't think going public about this is the way to go but I don't have any real problem with his actual words, I think he just should not have spoken about it apart from maybe saying they were going too far with it. What happens between England players is not really his business, even if what he says may be right..

Jacknife

International Captain
If the English players were warned and the Indian players complained to him, then yes, I would think it is an event. I don't think going public about this is the way to go but I don't have any real problem with his actual words, I think he just should not have spoken about it apart from maybe saying they were going too far with it. What happens between England players is not really his business, even if what he says may be right..
Both team Captains had to see the match officials after the 2nd game, so it would appear that both teams have been giving as good as they've got. As far as warnings issued they weren't any apart from Bresnan's joke fine for snatching his cap back.
It just appears to me that now he's won a few games back at home he's being a bit of a prick, especially speaking about things that are nothing to do with him. I didn't see any of the England set up stooping to such levels back in England, so I don't expect it of Dhoni, or maybe I do.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Both team Captains had to see the match officials after the 2nd game, so it would appear that both teams have been giving as good as they've got. As far as warnings issued they weren't any apart from Bresnan's joke fine for snatching his cap back.
It just appears to me that now he's won a few games back at home he's being a bit of a prick, especially speaking about things that are nothing to do with him. I didn't see any of the England set up stooping to such levels back in England, so I don't expect it of Dhoni, or maybe I do.
I don't think both captains were called after the 3rd game but looks like English players were spoken to after this game or at least the Indian players have complained about them.. So his comments about English sledging are fine, AFAIC.. His comments about how English players behaved with each other was unnecessary, even if it may well be true.. That is my opinion..

hang on

State Vice-Captain
time to jog your memory, jacknife.

are we talking about the same flower (of "the england setup") who went, cap in hand, into the the indian dressing room to ask for bell to be reinstated during the second test this summer past? and then had the gall to mutter darkly about 'international' incidents and the like had it all happened in india after dhoni and co. had obliged.

certainly seems like commenting on stuff - international incidents - that "had nothing to do with him"...

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is the thing though, it isn't just England, some Indian players can't keep the gobs shut either and as long as it doesn't get too personal then it's fair game.
This, what you don't want is incidents like that lovable guy Harbhajan and Symonds. From what we have heard no England player has overstepped the mark in the way Harby was supposed to have done. If it stays like that then it is fine, should ANY player from ANY side overstep the mark then they need to be punished properly and severely.

Bit of a nothing story if you ask me.

Daemon

Hey you were reiterating, I was reiterating, I thought it was a flirting thing, damn.

Always a few screws short, myself, still don't see any proof in the assertion, other then increasingly hysterical reiterations, which you were criticizing me for.

See, it's the whole opinion stating as fact that you started in this argument, and carry on, with your screws loose comment. You even find entire scenarios about how it would have gone. See Daemon was quite reasonable about it whilst stating pretty much the same thing, no LOLs or screw loose comments.
LOL. Your arse needs to be screwed shut because you're clearly talking out of it.

:ph34r: (jk)

Jacknife

International Captain
time to jog your memory, jacknife.

are we talking about the same flower (of "the england setup") who went, cap in hand, into the the indian dressing room to ask for bell to be reinstated during the second test this summer past? and then had the gall to mutter darkly about 'international' incidents and the like had it all happened in india after dhoni and co. had obliged.

certainly seems like commenting on stuff - international incidents - that "had nothing to do with him"...
You don't need to jog my memory mate and how is the Bell incident nothing to do with him.

Jacknife

International Captain
This, what you don't want is incidents like that lovable guy Harbhajan and Symonds. From what we have heard no England player has overstepped the mark in the way Harby was supposed to have done. If it stays like that then it is fine, should ANY player from ANY side overstep the mark then they need to be punished properly and severely.

Bit of a nothing story if you ask me.
Exactly, it's just Dhoni stirring the pot while he's got the chance.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Way too many posts have been made about this IMO; storm in a teacup. Shows how dull tours without Tests can get, I suppose.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
surmising about the likelihood of hypothetical international incidents in india arising from incidents similar to the bell one are as much - actually a lot more since they are purely in the realm of conjecture until they actually take place - out of flower's remit for comment as are esprit d'corps in the england camp out of dhoni's. especially after dhoni and the indian team had done the supposedly noble thing and allowed dozy bell to bat on. after all, dhoni could easily argue that the putative lack of togetherness in the england camp has a spillover effect on the ongoing match - english aggression/gamesmanship towards the indian team does directly affect dhoni.

either both shut up or neither one does.

Last edited:

Daemon

Way too many posts have been made about this IMO; storm in a teacup. Shows how dull tours without Tests can get, I suppose.
It was a lot worse a while back during the India - Windies/Eng tests tbf :p

Remember that Dhoni comment (refer to your sig) taking up a good 20 pages?

Kohli_fan

Banned
Not too sure what the fuss is about to be honest, MS just said that the English players seem to be having a go at each other which was a passing statement but also that he thinks they need to change their attitude in terms of how they behave towards our team!