• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I already said that its conjecture and I based my statement on my opinion on what would have happened if Dhoni hadnt recalled Bell.

The amount of importance Flower placed on the run out can be seen from the fact that Flower immediately chose to go to an opposing team's dressing room to persuade them to change their decision. Next the praise given for upholding the spirit of cricket also points to the direction of the nature of response if the recall hadn't happened. IIRC there was also a comment by Flower that had the same thing happened to Sachin, it would be an international incident.

From all these factors I concluded that had the recall not happened, there would have been a considerable backlash among the media, coach and English cricketers on how the sportsmanship and the spirit of cricket is important.
So you haven't found a quote that contradicted it, so your argument has no validation, thanks nice to have clarification, you do it in a long-winded way though ole chap.

Jacknife

International Captain
Only watched part of the matches, but what's the overly aggressive behaviour Dhoni's referring to? I remember the commentators discussing it as well, and apparently a few of the England players were warned about it.
Chit chat between the two sides.

ganeshran

International Debutant
So you haven't found a quote that contradicted it, so your argument has no validation, thanks nice to have clarification, you do it in a long-winded way though ole chap.
LOL what a joke. you are reiterating something that I already said 3 posts back i.e it is my opinion on what would have happened.

If someone thinks three would be absolutely no reaction from Flower about sportsmanship and morality had Dhoni not recalled Bell, then he is a few screws short of a hardware store.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Only watched part of the matches, but what's the overly aggressive behaviour Dhoni's referring to? I remember the commentators discussing it as well, and apparently a few of the England players were warned about it.
Swann said something to Samit Patel about a misfied. And Dernbach was swearing at the English players too

Jacknife

International Captain
Swann said something to Samit Patel about a misfied. And Dernbach was swearing at the English players too
Bloody hell, I haven't seen a game where that doesn't happen, they always have a go at each other for mistakes whether they're winning or losing. But it wasn't that what Dhoni was just referring to he said,
"You don't always want a friendly series, as long as things don't get too personal but I think they should change the plan for the next two games." so I gather from that he thinks that England have been sledging a bit too much.

Last edited:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
If they are squabbling within themselves, why does Dhoni bother? :p

From his perspective it was good that Dernbach lost his head (probably as a result of that fielding lapse made by Bres) and served up rubbish on both sides of the wicket. Why would the opposition skipper complain? :mellow:

grecian

LOL what a joke. you are reiterating something that I already said 3 posts back i.e it is my opinion on what would have happened.

If someone thinks three would be absolutely no reaction from Flower about sportsmanship and morality had Dhoni not recalled Bell, then he is a few screws short of a hardware store.
Hey you were reiterating, I was reiterating, I thought it was a flirting thing, damn.

Always a few screws short, myself, still don't see any proof in the assertion, other then increasingly hysterical reiterations, which you were criticizing me for.

See, it's the whole opinion stating as fact that you started in this argument, and carry on, with your screws loose comment. You even find entire scenarios about how it would have gone. See Daemon was quite reasonable about it whilst stating pretty much the same thing, no LOLs or screw loose comments.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bloody hell, I haven't seen a game where that doesn't happen, they always have a go at each other for mistakes whether they're winning or losing. But it wasn't that what Dhoni was just referring to he said,
"You don't always want a friendly series, as long as things don't get too personal but I think they should change the plan for the next two games." so I gather from that he thinks that England have been sledging a bit too much.
So in other words Dhoni has decided to do his sledging in the media?

ganeshran

International Debutant
Dhoni was making 2 or 3 points. One was the sledging. Other was the swearing and sarcastic applause between the english players

""It's very important to be nice to your fellow team-mates," Dhoni said. "There were lots of gestures flowing around in the field when it comes to the England side."

If they are squabbling within themselves, why does Dhoni bother? :p

From his perspective it was good that Dernbach lost his head (probably as a result of that fielding lapse made by Bres) and served up rubbish on both sides of the wicket. Why would the opposition skipper complain? :mellow:
I dont think Dhoni cares about what the opposition does. He has been getting a lot of stick all through the english series and wanted to give some of it back.

Had he said that while losing, it would have been criticized, so he waited till India had won the series.

Last edited:

grecian

This is actually the whole point of the argument, Dhoni was criticising our players over slagging each other off, amongst other things, that's why flower responded. England have been doing this under Flower since he's been in charge, he clearly believes it's a good tactic, and ya know, helped us thrash india in blighty, so MS should probably look at his own side.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Dhoni was making 2 or 3 points. One was the sledging. Other was the swearing and sarcastic applause between the english players

""It's very important to be nice to your fellow team-mates," Dhoni said. "There were lots of gestures flowing around in the field when it comes to the England side."

I dont think Dhoni cares about what the opposition does. He has been getting a lot of stick all over the english series and wanted to give some of it back.

Had he said that while losing, it would have been criticized, so he waited till India had won the series.
Someone asked what was the overly behaviour Dhoni's referring to, that must be referring to only one think, not how the England players were acting towards each other.
If Cook had come out with a similar lines I'd have thought he was being a a bit of a plonker and so is Dhoni.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I think this whole verbal intimidation is one of our strategies to win is stupid and ugly. It was ugly when Steve Waugh did it and it is ugly now.

grecian

I think this whole verbal intimidation is one of our strategies to win is stupid and ugly. It was ugly when Steve Waugh did it and it is ugly now.
Umm, but we're mainly talking about Egland players doing it to themselves:)

Jacknife

International Captain
This is the thing though, it isn't just England, some Indian players can't keep the gobs shut either and as long as it doesn't get too personal then it's fair game.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
This is the thing though, it isn't just England, some Indian players can't keep the gobs shut either and as long as it doesn't get too personal then it's fair game.
True. Obviously the Indian team is not happy about something these guys said. Commenting about in-fighting though is over the top.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm pretty sure Dhoni is hinting more towards the fact that sledging hasn't work for England than trying to sledge back when he says "they should change the plan for the next 2 games" or w/e. Don't know what the fuss is all about.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I agree with greican that Flower and Strauss wouldn't have said anything if Dhoni hadn't recalled Bell. This English team and management has been absolutely professional in everything they have done (on the field and off) and are being lead by a very level headed captain and coach.