• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As far as Dernbach is concerned I think the most generous/damning thing you can say is he's a slightly better version of Saj Mahmood.

Now get rid of these ludicrous Slurrey selections and pick someone who deserves to be in the squad.

grecian

As far as Dernbach is concerned I think the most generous/damning thing you can say is he's a slightly better version of Saj Mahmood.

Now get rid of these ludicrous Slurrey selections and pick someone who deserves to be in the squad.
Well, I actually think he's worse than Saj, and I don't say that lightly.

ganeshran

International Debutant
I love Flower's response when asked about what Dhoni said,
I bet you'd have seen plenty of moral judgements from flower and co, had Dhoni not recalled Bell after the run out in the English test series. There would certainly have been talk about character, sportsmanship and the spirit of cricket.

I think England are trying to copy the Aussies who were experts at getting under their opponents skin. It didnt even work for them that well after their greats retired

Last edited:

grecian

I bet you'd have seen plenty of moral judgements from flower and co, had Dhoni not recalled Bell after the run out in the English test series. There would certainly have been talk about character, sportsmanship and the spirit of cricket.
I think England are trying to copy the Aussies who were experts at getting under their opponents skin. It didnt even work for them that well after their greats retired
Well I'd bet against it, so that's an argument invalidated, not hard on a point of pure conjecture though.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only watched part of the matches, but what's the overly aggressive behaviour Dhoni's referring to? I remember the commentators discussing it as well, and apparently a few of the England players were warned about it.

Daemon

Well I'd bet against it, so that's an argument invalidated, not hard on a point of pure conjecture though.
They did praise Dhoni for the decision openly afterwards so technically they did make a moral judgement :p

ganeshran

International Debutant
Yes its conjecture and you are free to disagree, but I am pretty sure that if had Dhoni not recalled Bell that day, you would have seen several holier-than-thou pronouncements from English commies and Flower himself.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yes its conjecture and you are free to disagree, but I am pretty sure that if had Dhoni not recalled Bell that day, you would have seen several holier-than-thou pronouncements from English commies and Flower himself.
Dhoni recalled Bell so your point isn't really relevant.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Expect a slow turner at Wankhede : Curator

Slow turner at Wankhede for Ind-Eng ODI: Cricketnext

Mumbai: Expect a slow turner at the Wankhede Stadium here in the fourth and penultimate one-dayer between India and England on Sunday, said ground curator and former India opener Sudhir Naik on Wednesday.
"It will be a slow turner, slower than what was prepared for the World Cup final (between India and Sri Lanka on April 2). It is going to be a dry wicket," he said.

According to Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) sources, the Indian team management had sent in a request for a "slow turner" and that's exactly what would be served to them.
This will be India's second ODI here after the venue underwent a massive renovation before the World Cup.
Wankhede hosted two non-India league matches of the World Cup before the grand finale, which Mahendra Singh Dhoni's team won beating Sri Lanka.
The MCA started selling tickets of the fourth ODI from Wednesday.
The highest denomination of ticket is for Rs. 20,000 in designated corporate boxes and the cheapest is for Rs. 1,000 for the popular Sunil Gavaskar stand on the east side of the stadium.
Wankhede is also scheduled to host the third and final Test match between India and the West Indies from November 22-26.

grecian

Hey Tony Benn is my hero, wach what you say. As for your argument, it's utterly silly, I could say if you'd posted here before you'd have been an irritating git, but you haven't, so it's pointless.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Hey Tony Benn is my hero, wach what you say. As for your argument, it's utterly silly, I could say if you'd posted here before you'd have been an irritating git, but you haven't, so it's pointless.
How is my argument different than "If player XYZ plays in the series, he will get hit around the park". Surely theres no way to prove that either but such opinions are often expressed on online forums and are derived from your own opinion about the ability of the player and how it will pan out in a certain scenario even if it hasnt actually happened.

Regarding moral judgements, Vaughan openly questioned the integrity of Laxman whether he used Vaseline on the bat to avoid hotspot.

grecian

How is my argument different than "If player XYZ plays in the series, he will get hit around the park". Surely theres no way to prove that either but such opinions are often expressed on online forums and are derived from your own opinion about the ability of the player and how it will pan out in a certain scenario even if it hasnt actually happened.

Regarding moral judgements, Vaughan openly questioned the integrity of Laxman whether he used Vaseline on the bat to avoid hotspot.
No, you used a supposition to justify a moral judgement from msdhoni, a comment that Flower just said wasn't apposite, unless you can find a quote from Flower that contradicts, you have no argument.

Vaughn is a **** btw.

Daemon

I think it's pretty obvious that Flower would've said something if Dhoni didn't recall Bell. But the fact that Dhoni did recall Bell means that there's no valid argument to be made here.

grecian

I think it's pretty obvious that Flower would've said something if Dhoni didn't recall Bell. But the fact that Dhoni did recall Bell means that there's no valid argument to be made here.
Agree with the second sentence, but not the first, Flower isn't actually the most vocal of coaches.

ganeshran

International Debutant
No, you used a supposition to justify a moral judgement from msdhoni, a comment that Flower just said wasn't apposite, unless you can find a quote from Flower that contradicts, you have no argument.

Vaughn is a **** btw.
I already said that its conjecture and I based my statement on my opinion on what would have happened if Dhoni hadnt recalled Bell.

The amount of importance Flower placed on the run out can be seen from the fact that Flower immediately chose to go to an opposing team's dressing room to persuade them to change their decision. Next the praise given for upholding the spirit of cricket also points to the direction of the nature of response if the recall hadn't happened. IIRC there was also a comment by Flower that had the same thing happened to Sachin, it would be an international incident.

From all these factors I concluded that had the recall not happened, there would have been a considerable backlash among the media, coach and English cricketers on how the sportsmanship and the spirit of cricket is important.

Daemon

Agree with the second sentence, but not the first, Flower isn't actually the most vocal of coaches.
You probably know better than me, but I've seen Flower's name in the news more often then any other coach barring Pakistan's. Doesn't necessarily translate to him being more vocal of course, but just putting it out there.

Jacknife

International Captain
You probably know better than me, but I've seen Flower's name in the news more often then any other coach barring Pakistan's. Doesn't necessarily translate to him being more vocal of course, but just putting it out there.
Isn't that something to do with him being England coach and the English media but, apart from that Flower rarely says much except his customary after the series interview. The only reason he's been in the news recently was because of Swann's book which he got asked about.
At the end of the day this about Dhoni's comments and all he should be concerning himself about is his own team, instead of trying to take some sort of upperhand in a non event.

Last edited: