• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia's Test-only players will fly out on October 27, although Harris and Michael Beer will remain in Australia a little longer, to allow them extra Sheffield Shield game-time. After a warm-up match in Potchefstroom, the first Test will be played at Newlands from November 9, before the teams head to Johannesburg for the second and final Test.
Guess that means Cummins might play in the tour match?

howardj

International Coach
Cummins certainly will not play in the 1st Test unless we go with four quicks

Harris - first guy picked these days
Johnson - great record in South Africa
Copeland - Clarke loves him, and the discipline he brings to the attack

Spark

Global Moderator
dunno what Patto did wrong, but if they cycle some youngun's through the squad so they know what's doing I suppose it's not a bad thing.

Also poor doug ftr.

ps could do with some more NSW

pps wtf is beer there for.
apparently cummins would've toured sl, but he was injured so patto got the call

iamdavid

International Debutant
Reading all these quotes from Mickey Arthur saying we have to pick Cummins and Johnson in the same attack while disregarding Copeland makes me wonder if he's still on the Cricket South Africa payroll.

Howe_zat

Audio File
As a general rule I don't think you should pick players in the squad if you have no intention of playing them. Good luck to Cummins though.

I'd have picked Bollinger over Beer. If Lyon gets injured then they could revert to the four quicks strategy that worked well in SA last time, with Copeland in the typical spinners' holding role.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Wonder whether Arthur feels that Copeland is one of the bowlers that benefited from the below par Shield pitches that he's talked about quite a few times.

Spikey

iirc all non-west australian bowlers have benefited from the below par Shield pitches that he's talked about quite a few times.

uvelocity

International Coach
I'd have wade over beer to give haddin a rocket.

Probs good not picking dougie actually, so he can 'prove his fitness' in shield

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Knowing he's a lame duck has really brought out the gambler in Hilditch, eh?

Don't have a problem with it myself; the boy's clearly a talent and, based on the admittedly small sample size I've seen of the two, looks to have slightly more about him than Pattinson jr, whose place he's taking.

Only issue is, as others have suggested, him being denied Shield games if he's unlikely to play but I suppose there's a body of opinion he'll learn more being around the test squad anyway. Not one I share, ftr.

Spikey

important thing to remember is that Cummins isn't really keeping anyone out. If they don't pick Cummins it's either Pattinson or no-one. So it's not really a gamble in that sense...but I'd rather they just pick no-one

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wonder whether Arthur feels that Copeland is one of the bowlers that benefited from the below par Shield pitches that he's talked about quite a few times.
I think it'd be hard to make a case against the idea Copeland has benefited quite a bit from the state of the pitches since his debut, and that's coming from a big fan.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
important thing to remember is that Cummins isn't really keeping anyone out. If they don't pick Cummins it's either Pattinson or no-one. So it's not really a gamble in that sense...but I'd rather they just pick no-one
Reckon they might've picked Bollinger ahead of Pattinson this time.

Spikey

Ah yes forgot about that match, that goes someway to making up for him missing two Shield matches.
Tbf, Pattinson didn't get picked for the SL tour match so it's far to assume Cummins wouldn't've, given Siddle, Copeland and Harris aren't playing ODers. But if Harris is gonna play a game at home Cummins might get the game

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Reading all these quotes from Mickey Arthur saying we have to pick Cummins and Johnson in the same attack while disregarding Copeland makes me wonder if he's still on the Cricket South Africa payroll.
Nah, he's just a terrible, terrible coach.

Spikey

ssrly for every good thing Arthur says he usually follows it up with something terrible

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Copeland is fairly ordinary and will continue to be in Test Cricket as far as I'm concerned.

He's only a semi-suitable option when we continue to select potentially wayward bowlers like Johnson in our attack. I can't see him doing well in South Africa, in fact by the time we get to the first home Test of the summer on December 1 vs. New Zealand, Copeland will be back in the shield ranks.