• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Champions League Twenty20 2011

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember going down this path before... James had deleted all the posts on that thread too iirc :laugh:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah this has nothing to do with franchises for me. I just don't like how the IPL teams get 4 overseas players in the champions league.
I'm not too concerned with the number of overseas players, it's that the player always goes to the IPL team rather than the local team. In some cases it's appropriate (like where internationals haven't played in their own domestic competition), but the frequency of it is a bit of a joke.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not too concerned with the number of overseas players, it's that the player always goes to the IPL team rather than the local team. In some cases it's appropriate (like where internationals haven't played in their own domestic competition), but the frequency of it is a bit of a joke.
yes, this is the crux of the matter.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Of course this would be excellent, but where would the money to run this come from?
No idea. I'm not proposing a real solution, hence why I put it in inverted commas, I'm just outlining what I think would be a better tournament.

What about just limiting all teams - IPL or otherwise - to two overseas players?

IPL teams involved in the competition would need to make sure they had strong local depth, like all the other sides playing.
It's inherently unfair for franchises that only play one format of cricket to play that format against sides who pick more or less the same team in FC games. That's before you even get to all the rest of the ridiculous favouritism they've got.

Howe_zat

Audio File
lol Kieswetter is South African lolz
I remember when I was watching the World T20 final and a girl (who doesn't watch cricket) recognised him from his year 12 hockey playing days.

But ya know he was born in Johannesburg, that makes him exactly the same as KP or someone, hey.

It's a good job we've got such a handy, easy system for deciding where they should consider themselves a part of.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't get the hate for the IPL franchises when overseas players 'are forced' to give preference to their IPL teams when its a matter of conflict. It was understandable for the previous editions of the CLT20, given that the players had already signed their IPL contracts without knowledge that a tournament such as the CLT20 was to come up and present this problem.

But surely if, with this prior knowledge, they've still gone ahead and signed their new IPL contracts last year, then those players are the ones to blame? They had the choice of staying loyal to their original clubs, and yet chose to go ahead and agree with the preferential terms set in their IPL contracts?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
True but over half their side wasn't born in England and the majority of the 7 don't carry British passports, nor indeed are English.
That's beside the point, Kieswetter, Compton and Suppiah are all English wherever they were born.

In any case Somerset could easily name an XI with only two foreign players that would look just like, or be pretty much as useful as, their first team - you cannot say the same for any IPL side. As Jake said, these guys are part of a proper club who play First Class and List A cricket together; branching them with IPL sides in terms of creating parity and local talent is wrong and unfair.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
That's beside the point, Kieswetter, Compton and Suppiah are all English wherever they were born.

In any case Somerset could easily name an XI with only two foreign players that would look just like, or be pretty much as useful as, their first team - you cannot say the same for any IPL side. As Jake said, these guys are part of a proper club who play First Class and List A cricket together; branching them with IPL sides in terms of creating parity and local talent is wrong and unfair.
Kes is British (Scottish Mother?) I guess that despite going to Bishops and playing for RSA U19. Compton is English but you do know Suppiah up until recently had visa trouble and struggled to even get back into the UK (permanent residency in the UK was turned down in 2009), which of course wouldn't happen if he was English...

SeamUp

International Coach
Kes is British (Scottish Mother?) I guess that despite going to Bishops and playing for RSA U19. Compton is English but you do know Suppiah up until recently had visa trouble and struggled to even get back into the UK (permanent residency in the UK was turned down in 2009), which of course wouldn't happen if he was English...
I consider Prior and Strauss British eventhough one of their parents is South African and the other British but they grew up and came through English schools system. Meaker and Dernbach fall in here as well but are both Glenwood boys in Durban before they left which was when they were 16 and 14 years of age respectively.

On the flip side, Kieswetter and Pietersen (Maritzburg College) are the total reverse of the above situation. If Kieswetter wasn't told to play club cricket after school and given a Cobras/WP contract he would have stayed. Kieswetter played SA u19 and his father is the head of cricket at Bishops. Moore & Lumb (SA U19) are both St Stithians boys from Joburg and Dawid Malan went to Paarl Boys.

Trott (SA U19) (Rondebosch Boys) on the other hand, could only have been a grandparent who was British. I'm also a Rondebosch old boy and Trotts father was head of cricket at Rondebosch and I worked with him about 8 years or so ago and it was funny to see him when Trott scored the hundred at Oval and Trott senior was wearing his Rondebosch cap that he always wore.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
5 sixes in a 21 ball 45 against a decent bowling attack is not a bad effort. Pollard finally scoring runs as well. Pretty sure MI will find a way to lose this game though, can foresee someone like Gibbs, Shah or Duminy scoring heavily.