• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Wickets early in the innings usually are more valuable than wickets at the death.
I am not sure how effective Anderson will be in India early on in the innings though,specially if it is a evening start and not a early morning one(or they are bowling 2nd in a morning game).
He certainly won't get as much early movement or Carry as he was doing in England.

While Dernbach with his change in his pace and generally slower pace, might prove decently effective specially on slower wickets.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd really have thought that a call up would come in the Test format rather than the OD format and certainly nowhere near this soon. Would be interesting to see how quick he can crank it up to on the international stage but fully expect India to deal with him.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't have expected a call-up in any format for a while yet, but there you go. Horribly expensive so far in his career, would expect that to be even worse in India but I doubt he'll get a game unless there's injury. Does he get much reverse or anything? Must be a reason why he's been called up specifically for India - obviously they don't think Jimmy will be effective in India, like the World Cup.

FBU

International Debutant
I expect England's bowling to be

Bresnan
Dernbach

Bopara

Swann
Patel
Borthwick

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
England in India 2011: Kevin Pietersen returns as Meaker gets call | Cricket News | India v England | ESPN Cricinfo

Stuart Meaker the only real surprise pick in the squad. Jimmy rested.

Its strange, we keep picking promising youngsters with no real performance behind them at List A level, rather than picking necessarily the best current List A players. Another Saffer, too.
England have done that for as long as I can remember. Vaughn and Trescothicks List A records were decent but nowhere near the best.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It looks horses for courses but it isn't really. If they were doing that then they'd have taken Shahzad ahead of Woakes.

As it stands, it looks like Woakes has been taken to fill in for Bresnan if need be, so I think they're going with a pace attack of Bres, Finn and Dernbach, and then keep the plan as it is should an injury occour. I'd hope Meaker doesn't get into ther starting side, and is there as a possible like-for-like on Finn, who they seem to be breeding as an out and out fastie these days.

Without Broad and with an extra spinner it was likely to be an experimental bowling lineup anyway, so it's no real surprise to see Jimmy rested. Been a long summer for him.

I like the guy, but I'm happy to see Stokes stay at home too. He didn't really look ready.

Indifferent about Bell and Bopara, but there's room while Mogs is out. Both have actually done something at international level and we've just seen what can happen when you fill a batting lineup with kids. On the off chance Bopara works out, he really does offer us a lot.

Jacknife

International Captain
I can see the thinking behind Meaker, even though I don't think he should be there. In the WC they had a school of thought that the short, fast, skiddy bowler worked better out there, so it must be for that reason they've gone for him, can't think of anything else. The thing is you've got to have control of that pace etc to be effective and I don't think Meaker is there yet in that respect. Averaging nearly 38 at 6.3rpo isn't going to instill any fear into the opposition but I hope if he happens to get a game he proves us all wrong.

Glad to see KP back, we need him to fire out in India and I have a feeling we could see something good from him, hopefully he's still seeing the ball as well as he was in the summer.

I think I remember hearing during the summer that Jimmy's got some injury he needs sorting that's been bothering him, so it seems they've given him a rest. They should have rested him from these last 2 20/20 games where he sat bench warming for some strange reason, instead of letting him go on holiday.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
I can see the thinking behind Meaker, even though I don't think he should be there. In the WC they had a school of thought that the short, fast, skiddy bowler worked better out there, so it must be for that reason they've gone for him, can't think of anything else. The thing is you've got to have control of that pace etc to be effective and I don't think Meaker is there yet in that respect. Averaging nearly 38 at 6.3rpo isn't going to instill any fear into the opposition but I hope if he happens to get a game he proves us all wrong.

Glad to see KP back, we need him to fire out in India and I have a feeling we could see something good from him, hopefully he's still seeing the ball as well as he was in the summer.

I think I remember hearing during the summer that Jimmy's got some injury he needs sorting that's been bothering him, so it seems they've given him a rest. They should have rested him from these last 2 20/20 games where he sat bench warming for some strange reason, instead of letting him go on holiday.
Yes that was very strange to select him for 2 20/20s and not play him.

I think that with the 2015 World Cup in mind they need more of the fast bowlers to have some experience. Broad, Anderson, Bresnan, experienced - Dernbach 10 matches and Finn 6. If one or two of those three are injured that year there is not much experience.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
England selectors need to cut the crap about resting players. After this series they aren't playing again till the new year so why would he need resting. If he's injured just say he's injured. They did the same thing with Pieterson and I reckon if Morgan was still around Pieterson wouldn't be in the squad now.

Bit surprised with Meaker's selection considering his relatively poor List A record but hopefully if he can reverse swing the ball he'll be effective.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah, clearly the recent policy of giving key players the odd series off as a rest has played havoc with their recent results.

Oh, wait...

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I cannot help but feel that any second string side England send out here would be a grave insult to the hosts.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meaker's selection makes perfect sense. Now I have to stop saying that Dernbach is the worst excuse for a fast bowler in the England set up.

THIS IS WHY EVERYONE HATES SURREY

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Crazy decision to pick Meaker, done nothing.

Surely Buttler should be getting a go in ODIs, have the selectorsn not seen his List A record or have they only caught him on Sky in T20 games?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
WTF are we doing sending our players on a pointless ODI tour after all the international cricket they've played in recent times?

This is crazy stuff.