• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oh I don't think any have been dreadful, sack worthy etc. They was just a lot of praise after the first test about the attack and the averages etc which I thought was mad, considering there's a damn good chance the attack we send out on boxing day could be entirely different bar watson (harris injured, copeland, lyon and johnson dropped ftr)

On the whole, this series for me hasn't answered as many questions as I would have liked, given the first test performances were a write off due to the pitch, as this one will be for the bowlers
I'd say the Hughes issue has been resolved short of a miracle in the second dig?

If only there was an experienced replacement you could slot straight in, eh?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Not if they want to win it.........they are extremely slow....unless they plan to accelerate later on
They are still scoring at 2.55 with the aggressive batsmen to come. Sri Lanka could theoretically still bat for another five sessions and give themselves plenty of time to bowl Australia out.

I don't think Sri Lanka have any concerns other than to survive the new ball.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Oh I don't think any have been dreadful, sack worthy etc. They was just a lot of praise after the first test about the attack and the averages etc which I thought was mad, considering there's a damn good chance the attack we send out on boxing day could be entirely different bar watson (harris injured, copeland, lyon and johnson dropped ftr)

On the whole, this series for me hasn't answered as many questions as I would have liked, given the first test performances were a write off due to the pitch, as this one will be for the bowlers
The one benefit to come from this series is that we have our first indications of the selectors making the correct decisions.

Lostman

State Captain
Pirahna man needs to start converting his starts, he is no longer a rookie but constantly get knocked out between 40-70 it seems

Ruckus

International Captain
I dunno I reckon this series has answered a few questions tbh. It's shown this bowling attack looks far more cohesive than what we've had before (even though the outcomes don't necessarily represent that due to pretty unforgiving conditions), that Ryan Harris will be pretty crucial to our success on very flat wickets, that our top order batting is still as problematic as ever, that Clarke, by and large, is a breathe of fresh air as a captain, that Ponting doesn't look like having a rebirth despite the lack of captaincy, that Hussey still has it in him, that Hughes, Khawaja and Marsh collectively represent a difficult problem to ponder in the short term etc.

This series by no means has been the most exciting cricket, but it has been very useful from the point of view of assessing where we are at as a team imo.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman

The under-performing part of the team got a free ride into the series, are you really that suprised?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That test wasn't a draw. A big enough partnership for an innings win, is what I was hoping for:p
If they're there long enough to put on that big a score it will be a draw though, given australia made 300+ first dig.

Well, unless they accelerate massively compared to the general rate of this series.

uvelocity

International Coach
SL in front by a head. Doesn't really matter what score they post, it's our second dig that this match will hinge on.

Ruckus

International Captain
Johnson - pretty poor overall, not as 'consistent' as he has been, fair bit of loose stuff on the pads etc. Wicket with nothing ball.
Siddle - fairly tight, not particularly threatening. Not extracting anything much out the pitch, but his wicket was a decent ball that seamed in a bit.
Copeland - tight, perhaps slightly less than usual. Looked good with the new ball for a few overs, beating the bat, a few edges and a somewhat dubious DRS lbw that wasn't given. After the new ball though, has looked innocuous, not getting anything much out of the pitch either.
Watson - very tight, not particularly threatening. Had a ball dropped by Clarke though.
Lyon - pretty consistent, getting some nice flight as usual but not looking threatening on a docile pitch.
Hussey - Hussey...

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
I dunno I reckon this series has answered a few questions tbh. It's shown this bowling attack looks far more cohesive than what we've had before (even though the outcomes don't necessarily represent that due to pretty unforgiving conditions), that Ryan Harris will be pretty crucial to our success on very flat wickets, that our top order batting is still as problematic as ever, that Clarke, by and large, is a breathe of fresh air as a captain, that Ponting doesn't look like having a rebirth despite the lack of captaincy, that Hussey still has it in him, that Hughes, Khawaja and Marsh collectively represent a difficult problem to ponder in the short term etc.

This series by no means has been the most exciting cricket, but it has been very useful from the point of view of assessing where we are at as a team imo.
One series can't answer questions completely. We are looking at 2 new bowlers and so far 2 new batsman and a still very young batsman on his second time around. By the end of the Indian series we might have more of an idea if any of them are worth sticking with, but I'm sure none of them will get that sort of leeway if they don't perform. Marsh has bought himself a couple of tests by performing when most of the other batsmen haven't and I think Hughes will go to SA but he'll have to get at least a 50 in the first test. So far his and Watson's opening partnership is dismal averaging in the 20s.

Last edited:

Valer

First Class Debutant
If they're there long enough to put on that big a score it will be a draw though, given australia made 300+ first dig.

Well, unless they accelerate massively compared to the general rate of this series.
Awta, SL if they want to win have to score at about 4/over (or above) and have to rely on getting Australia out for a similar total again. Given we have seen 3/over pretty consistently all series...

Last edited:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Other than Johnson, I don't believe Copeland, Siddle, Lyon and Watson have bowled badly as a combination today.

This is a typical Sri Lankan pitch and we are trying to dimiss two cricketers who have made a career out of thriving in these conditions.
Sums up what I want to say. 160 odd/2 isn't the worst position in the world and a (relatively) young, not so experienced foreign attack hasn't allowed the hosts to run away with the game. Many bowling attacks and operators with greater reputations haven't been able to maintain that discipline in tests played at this venue against this opposition.

I wouldn't be too critical, but expect them to add a bit more bite to their game tomorrow and try to eke out wickets regularly.