• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pretty potent excerpt from Brettig's article:

"Entering the Colombo Test neither [Ponting, Clarke] had made a Test century for 22 innings. For any batsman, such figures would be unfortunate, if not terminal. But for those entrusted with the two most important batting positions outside of the opening pair, they represent a fundamental breakdown in the ability to accomplish the most key of tasks. In a word, inexcusable."

So true...
In fairness, Clarke's 60 at Galle was worth a century.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah was a fine knock, but given's Clarke's form coming into this match from the practice game and the OD series he really has been pretty disappointing.
You have to cash in when you are seeing the ball well, and he has failed to do that.

Spark

Global Moderator
As DeusEx said though, he's in faaaaar better nick than just that. But he keeps throwing it away with dire shot selection. The last two dismissals have come completely out of nowhere, and it's so irritating.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Hmm it's possible...I still think Watson will come good though. I'm confident he will finish his career with an average around 50 and a fair few hundreds to his name.

Lostman

State Captain
God Hussey is such a pain in the ass.
If can keep Aus to 350, it would be a good deal I reckon. Just need our batsmen to start making those big home hundreds they used to do with ease.

Ballsy move to drop Samaraweera as well.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm it's possible...I still think Watson will come good though. I'm confident he will finish his career with an average around 50 and a fair few hundreds to his name.
Better start doing it soon then. Not exactly a spring chicken.

Ruckus

International Captain
Better start doing it soon then. Not exactly a spring chicken.
Well assuming his body doesn't bring him down, he should have another 5 years in him at least. That's a pretty long time. Have a gut feeling he will have a massive year sometime soon.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Alistair Cook can manage...although Alistair has it in spades over Watson when it comes to the mental approach I think.
Cook has some dodgy technical issues but isn't particularly limited in terms of the shots he can play to score runs. Watson is poor at turning over the strike and is useless against spin.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cook has some dodgy technical issues but isn't particularly limited in terms of the shots he can play to score runs. Watson is poor at turning over the strike and is useless against spin.
Yeah fair enough, Cook never seems to get bogged down for too long.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The WA boys are proping up the team at the moment it see. Probably honours even, though ever so marginally in Sri Lanka's favour after today. Tomorrow is key. Hope Hussey gets another ton, just to rub it in to all his critics who were writing him off before the Ashes. His whole career has been a series of a golden two years followed by an arid two years in a constant cycle. Which means we should get another year and a half out of him in this form (at least). His next prolonged form slump will see his exit however.

adub

International Captain
Honours even I reckon. Another 50 runs and we'd be in front, another wicket the Lankans would definitely be on top.

I'm a terrible judge of a cricketer. I believed Watson had not earned his spot when recalled, Hussey was the old man that needed to go before the ashes and that Marsh wasn't up to test cricket. Well done to all three (although Watson does need to pick up his conversion rate). Marsh has batted like a true test batsman so far - I'm happy to chow down on the humble pie so long as he is happy to keep putting a high price on his wicket.

I think today will be Haddin's day and I have a feeling in my waters that the right combination of stars are in alignment for Johnson to have a good day so we could see him chipping in with a 50. 450+ for mine. (throw stones when we collapse in a heap for 270)