• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Spark

Global Moderator
So, we play Steyn & Morkel in a few weeks, who ya tipping to succeed? After Flintoff roughing him up and SA admitting they got their plans wrong in 09 I wouldn't back Hughes to go well....its good though- limited places, lots of competition.
When does that tour start? Can't be too long a break, we have a lot of cricket to squeeze in before the India series.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When does that tour start? Can't be too long a break, we have a lot of cricket to squeeze in before the India series.
Tests are in November. OD/T20 start in October. One week break between those tests finishing and the NZ series

More reason to tell Ponting to chill with the kid imo

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Phase 1: complete.
Maybe, but was anyone convinced of Bevan's technique at any stage of his test career? He always looked very rushed in defence, always jumpy (hmmm, Hughes anyone), and once Gough got him with that shortish ball in the 2nd test 1994 it was obvious how he would be targeted by all teams. Marsh on the other hand look incredibly solid and calm and never rushed, and has the straightest of straight bats in defence, has lots of time this fellow, and plays the spinners perfectly fine. A lot to like. He is coming into his prime as a batsman at 28yrs old so the time is now to persevere with him, IF he is getting runs.

adub

International Captain
I'm an unabashed Hughes fan, and have little time for Marsh, but if Hughes gets dropped for the next test, then he can hardly complain. I obviously don't think it's much of a long term idea (Marsh as an opener would be a blessedly brief idea once Steyn and Morkel get hold of him), but you have to take your chances. Marsh missed the first test because he didn't take his chance and Uzi did. He's definitely taken this chance though whilst Hughes and Uzi haven't yet stamped themselves on the team sheet with big runs.

Ruckus

International Captain
It's not just about the numbers, the SA series aside he's just not looked like a Test cricketer. Always feels like he's a few decent balls away from nicking out or getting out in a daft way. After his A-series runs, all the talk was about how he's in cracking form, damn dem coaches, etc. You'd expect to see some glimpses of that if he was, tbh.
That's just how he plays though. Even in shield cricket when he is scoring runs he stills looks somewhat edgy. Some players just look more assured at the crease than others.

Top_Cat

Maybe, but was anyone convinced of Bevan's technique at any stage of his test career? He always looked very rushed in defence, always jumpy (hmmm, Hughes anyone), and once Gough got him with that shortish ball in the 2nd test 1994 it was obvious how he would be targeted by all teams. Marsh on the other hand look incredibly solid and calm and never rushed, and has the straightest of straight bats in defence, has lots of time this fellow, and plays the spinners perfectly fine. A lot to like. He is coming into his prime as a batsman at 28yrs old so the time is now to persevere with him, IF he is getting runs.
You.....doubt my prediction?!

Post reported.

Andre

International Regular
That's just how he plays though. Even in shield cricket when he is scoring runs he stills looks somewhat edgy. Some players just look more assured at the crease than others.
Na. When he makes Shield runs he looks unconventional. There is a huge difference.

Ruckus

International Captain
Na. When he makes Shield runs he looks unconventional. There is a huge difference.
Really don't think he has looked any different in this series (especially the last 36) to how he has in his last few domestic games. He definately looked poor in the last Ashes, but he also looked poor in the domestic comp. He was just badly out of form.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Personally, I'm getting a bit tired of Haddin's batting failures lately. The guy constantly throws his wicket away and struggles to score runs in important situations. It's become apparent that Haddin obviously struggles against spin bowling at times and you can't just slog your way out of trouble. His keeping is always going to be modest without being great and the guy also isn't getting any younger.

In summary, I think Haddin has underachived on the international stage. He can't score any runs in one day cricket either.

Spikey

other hand, best bat in the world cup, one of the few bats to be able to hold their head up re ashes. can't put too much into today can you? obviously came out with the intent to score quick runs, and given rain killed play 20 mins later........

If we had a keeper banging down the door.....as it is.

(and when we did have a keeper banging down the door and haddin was injured to boot we over-looked him for paine [/stillthinkhartleywasrobbed])

Last edited:

Burgey

This.

No homo.

Well not that post. The quoted post in the post I quoted.

Will both of Usman's dismissals coming from a known weakness in his game - bit lazy on the front foot - enter into discussions?
Maybe, but there's something incredibly ghey having a weakness to the short ball. Rather a bloke fail off the front foot than not really be a man.

It's. unaustralian.

benchmark00

Personally, I'm getting a bit tired of Haddin's batting failures lately. The guy constantly throws his wicket away and struggles to score runs in important situations. It's become apparent that Haddin obviously struggles against spin bowling at times and you can't just slog your way out of trouble. His keeping is always going to be modest without being great and the guy also isn't getting any younger.

In summary, I think Haddin has underachived on the international stage. He can't score any runs in one day cricket either.
other hand, best bat in the world cup, one of the few bats to be able to hold their head up re ashes. can't put too much into today can you? obviously came out with the intent to score quick runs, and given rain killed play 20 mins later........

If we had a keeper banging down the door.....as it is.

(and when we did have a keeper banging down the door and haddin was injured to boot we over-looked him for paine [/stillthinkhartleywasrobbed])
Yeah wtf. Haddin averaged 45 and looked good in our last test series before this one, the same series where we got pumped.

So we should drop him on the basis of 1.5 matches? Ridiculous.