• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* T20 and ODI matches

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The Ball getting wet will suit England from now onwards.
Yeah no doubt. They were odds on to collapse in the heap against the spinners before the rain came IMO; the rain will help them no end as it'll not only break up the flow of the match and let them re-group but also soak the ball, making it a harder for Ashwin and Jadeja to grip the thing.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
"There is a barely perceptible drizzle in the air," tweets Andrew Miller. "Most tedious. Once it's gone, there's nothing else following it up."

This rule about not starting when there is a bare little drizzle once you go off is really stupid,imo. Use some common sense FFS!!!!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
"There is a barely perceptible drizzle in the air," tweets Andrew Miller. "Most tedious. Once it's gone, there's nothing else following it up."

This rule about not starting when there is a bare little drizzle once you go off is really stupid,imo. Use some common sense FFS!!!!
The Ball getting wet will suit England from now onwards.
There's your common sense.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ball getting wet = advantage for England.

Resuming the game whilst it's still raining = easier for ball to get wet = resuming the game gives England an advantage.

Therefore, common sense would dictate you stay off and wait for the rain to stop.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Ball getting wet = advantage for England.

Resuming the game whilst it's still raining = easier for ball to get wet = resuming the game gives England an advantage.

Therefore, common sense would dictate you stay off and wait for the rain to stop.
That is wrong on so many levels. First of all was making a general comment not talking about this match only. As for this match taken in that context-

You know they continued for 10 to 15 minutes in the drizzle and when the rain got heavier too? But they cannot ****ing return when there is absolutely bare minimum drizzle and there is little chance of it getting heavier even if it continues for a hour?

Secondly, the grass would be wet in anycase, so continuing or not should not really affect whether the ball gets wet or not from now onwards.

And also looking from the Indian point of view(though i wasn't specifically here), the more amount of overs lost from here England get more advantage due to duckworth lewis in any case plus if it is called off they win the match.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Factoid from cricinfo: India have lost all 4 matches where Jadeja scored a fifty. Even though half of those were against Zimbabwe.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That is wrong on so many levels. First of all was making a general comment not talking about this match only. As for this match taken in that context-

You know they continued for 10 to 15 minutes in the drizzle and when the rain got heavier too? But they cannot ****ing return when there is absolutely bare minimum drizzle and there is little chance of it getting heavier even if it continues for a hour?

Secondly, the grass would be wet in anycase, so continuing or not should not really affect whether the ball gets wet or not from now onwards.

And also looking from the Indian point of view(though i wasn't specifically here), the more amount of overs lost from here England get more advantage due to duckworth lewis in any case plus if it is called off they win the match.
Yes, but the rain would dry out, and the groundstaff often have tools (ropes, etc.) to remove a lot of the water sitting on the surface. If it's continuing, then the ball will continue to be slippery for a long time, rather than just the first few overs before drying out.

We had this happen to us last week, made an absolute farce of the game as we had three spinners, and the ball just got more and more waterlogged and slippery after we returned to the field in very light drizzle, and continued to play through it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Factoid from cricinfo: India have lost all 4 matches where Jadeja scored a fifty. Even though half of those were against Zimbabwe.
Yeah, I think that says a lot about what his role in the team has been and how he's been pretty unsuited to it. He's a middle overs accumulator as a batsman who has been asked to come in at 7 and 8 throughout his career and finish an innings, which isn't really his go. His only chance of actually getting a situation that suits his game has been the top order failing to do the job.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, but the rain would dry out, and the groundstaff often have tools (ropes, etc.) to remove a lot of the water sitting on the surface. If it's continuing, then the ball will continue to be slippery for a long time, rather than just the first few overs before drying out.

We had this happen to us last week, made an absolute farce of the game as we had three spinners, and the ball just got more and more waterlogged and slippery after we returned to the field in very light drizzle, and continued to play through it.
In the night under the lights though the surface is pretty unlikely to dry out soon ,no matter what tools the groundsman use,specially with the temperature there being lowish. Plus the Drizzle was absolute bare minimum here with it not likely to get less.

And in this situation if they sit out too much time the match becomes a easy chase with the wet ball due to duckworth lewis.

Edit - Though as it turns out they have sat out the correct time to just about favor India with the target reduction. Not sure about the wet ball though.

Last edited:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Jadeja is a proper batsman for Saurashtra in domestic cricket. PEWS is right that the national team hasn't used his services properly. He's not a slogger like Yusuf Pathan and if asked to fulfill that role, batting at no. 7, he would invariably struggle.

An innings constructor or an accumulator who bowls handy left-arm spin is how I'd define his role in LOIs. I personally believe that he has some utility in tests too, but that is something for another day and another thread.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I give up trying to understand D/L. I almost always think it favours the bowling side because it cuts down the runs needed so much. But 17 off from 7 overs? If we got 17 from our next 7, we'd be fast losing the game. I suppose we've been punished for losing wickets, but 3 down from 20 overs in a 50 over game is far from a disaster. I'm out of answers really.

I guess it can't always favour the chasing side or they'd fix it. So it looks like the chasing side is helped when it's a lot of overs lost, or overs are lost in a T20. Today, not so much.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India have obviously kicked a thousand black cats, walked under a million ladders, broken a billion mirrors, etc this year

They've been thoroughly outplayed but have had ZERO luck all summer and it wouldnt surprise to see the rain go away and the pitch miraculously turn into an incredible road with it