• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Bun

Banned
The difference between a sub continental dust bowl and an overtly green pitch is the uneven bounce. Sharp spin can still be negotiated by nimble footwork and supple wrists but a ball scraping the shins takes away any pretence of an even trade off between ball and bat. The Galle pitch was indeed unfit to play Test match cricket on; when the top starts sliding off over the first four hours of play, that is an abomination.

Good forum, this.
Disagree.

Dealing with uneven bounce is as good a part of a batsman's calibre as is dealing with neck high bouncers or banana swing on a wet wicket imho.

I would'nt love such pitches to be standard but every once in a while it's a refreshing change. And regarding the match, it wasn't a 99 play 98 play 102 play 104/7. In fact SL recorded the highest 4th innings total for a match in Galle which is not what you'd expect from a so called poor pitch.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think Rob Steen sums it up very well in the article I linked to above.

If you think the Galle pitch was unsuitable for test cricket, even though some agree, that's fine. But if that is going to be punished, absolutely dead flat tracks like SL, India, WI and other countries have produced in the past simply HAVE TO receive the same sanctions that pitches like Galle receive (whether its financial penalties or simply the threat of financial penalties).

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Rob Steen sums it up very well in the article I linked to above.

If you think the Galle pitch was unsuitable for test cricket, even though some agree, that's fine. But if that is going to be punished, absolutely dead flat tracks like SL, India, WI and other countries have produced in the past simply HAVE TO receive the same sanctions that pitches like Galle receive (whether its financial penalties or simply the threat of financial penalties).
Agreed. The Galle pitch wasn't as bad as some roads that's been produced in the aforementioned areas(even the Adelaide Oval has been poor at times in the past), however it still wasn't ideal for test cricket imo.

Neither of those types of wickets should be encouraged.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Disagree.

Dealing with uneven bounce is as good a part of a batsman's calibre as is dealing with neck high bouncers or banana swing on a wet wicket imho.

I would'nt love such pitches to be standard but every once in a while it's a refreshing change. And regarding the match, it wasn't a 99 play 98 play 102 play 104/7. In fact SL recorded the highest 4th innings total for a match in Galle which is not what you'd expect from a so called poor pitch.
I get your point but this topic immediately brings images of an Ambrose/Rose ankle sniper taking out Laxman's stumps in the Caribbean back in the late 90s. Chasing 120 odd, bowled out for 90 or so. I can't imagine any batsman doing much with something like that. And that was a fifth day pitch, Galle was doing rubbish on the first day itself.

Spin, overcast weather. IMHO, all's fair game, but uneven bounce takes the bowling skill aspect out of the equation completely.

On an aside, I come in peace. Been lurking around forever, but most threads here seem big on stats which is something I don't have much of a knack for. Cheers.

Spark

Global Moderator
I get your point but this topic immediately brings images of an Ambrose/Rose ankle sniper taking out Laxman's stumps in the Caribbean back in the late 90s. Chasing 120 odd, bowled out for 90 or so. I can't imagine any batsman doing much with something like that. And that was a fifth day pitch, Galle was doing rubbish on the first day itself.

Spin, overcast weather. IMHO, all's fair game, but uneven bounce takes the bowling skill aspect out of the equation completely.

On an aside, I come in peace. Been lurking around forever, but most threads here seem big on stats which is something I don't have much of a knack for. Cheers.
Haha I reckon you'll fit in fine here tbh.

Spikey

who wants to take on the role as 'Daemon' for this match. benchmark00?

assuming Arachnodouche isn't Daemon of course

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
an aside, I come in peace. Been lurking around forever, but most threads here seem big on stats which is something I don't have much of a knack for. Cheers.
My advice is to stick to tour threads (like this thread). Not too much stat-talk when people talk about the matches themselves. Welcome to the forum in any rate; top quality start.

Howe_zat

Audio File
My advice is to stick to tour threads (like this thread). Not too much stat-talk when people talk about the matches themselves. Welcome to the forum in any rate; top quality start.
The best threads are the International Cricket Captain sims imo.

Burgey

So with Darsh and Copes in, if O'Keefe got a call up would Nafe be like a milk truck hitting a brick wall? :ph34r:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Quote from Ashley Mallett on cricinfo------

"I had been commissioned by Sri Lanka Cricket to establish a spin-bowling academy. Each squad comprised twelve spinners - 48 of the nation's best slow bowlers, pruned from the 750 spinners we had canvassed."

750???? Holy moly.

howardj

International Coach
We seem to start well in Series, don't we. Then the arse falls out of our pants. Can't help thinking though that we want this far more than SL. To my mind, one of the dark clouds hanging over Test cricket, is the lack of spark, lack of engagement of the subcontinental teams (India and SL particularly). They seem somewhat disinterested and lacking in desperation.