• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reckon in 3 years time we are looking at

Warner
Watson
Khawaja
Clarke
Marsh
Ferguson

as our top 6. Will be interesting to see how close is it to that.
Yeah I tend to agree.

I'm sure there'll be a bolter somewhere along the line to mess things up, but aws I'd be saying something similar.

Andre

International Regular
You reckon Hughes will fail? ITSTL.
Don't think fail is the right way to put it. Maybe be overtaken is. Just don't see him scoring consistently at Test level, just a hunch more than anything.

Reckon Warner is technically the best of the young bats coming through at the moment, if he can get his head right he could be anything.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeh don't think Marsh or Ferguson will be in the side in three years time. Extremely hard to predict but if I had to hazard a guess as to what the top 6 would be:

Watson
Hughes
Khawaja
Clarke
Maddinson
Lynn ??? (who knows...)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How about Michael Hill and Marcus Harris?

Definitely not as obvious picks as Lynn or Maddinson, but I'll be interested in seeing how both progress over the next year or two.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't think fail is the right way to put it. Maybe be overtaken is. Just don't see him scoring consistently at Test level, just a hunch more than anything.

Reckon Warner is technically the best of the young bats coming through at the moment, if he can get his head right he could be anything.
Difficult to fault his drive over the past year or so, tbf. That's most of the job done.

benchmark00

What I like about Bull Warner in first class cricket is that he really does play within himself. You just know he's got another gear but he wants to knuckle down, which has really impressed me.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I don't disagree that Warner seems more technically at ease, but I find it hard to ignore the sheer weight of runs Hughes has stacked up at such a young age, especially when you've got Marsh and Ferguson in that team. I'm not really convinced now is the time for Hughes but I'd be pretty surprised if there never was a team for him; the bloke has just always made runs upon runs upon runs at level he's played at. I reckon he'll find a way at Test level too as long as people don't get inside him head too much about his technique.

I think Hughes, Warner, Watson, Khawaja and Clarke will all be there in the post-Huss/Ponting era; I'm not completely sure which order they'll bat in but I'd like to see them all in the top six at this point, providing Warner kicks on and has a good full Shield season of course.

Andre

International Regular
I don't disagree that Warner seems more technically at ease, but I find it hard to ignore the sheer weight of runs Hughes has stacked up at such a young age, especially when you've got Marsh and Ferguson in that team. I'm not really convinced now is the time for Hughes but I'd be pretty surprised if there never was a team for him; the bloke has just always made runs upon runs upon runs at level he's played at. I reckon he'll find a way at Test level too as long as people don't get inside him head too much about his technique.

I think Hughes, Warner, Watson, Khawaja and Clarke will all be there in the post-Huss/Ponting era; I'm not completely sure which order they'll bat in but I'd like to see them all in the top six at this point, providing Warner kicks on and has a good full Shield season of course.
Yeah he's got an amazing amount of runs - amazing amount - but something tells me he might never crack it consistently. I can't see him mastering any of the English, South African or Pakistani attacks but can see him filling his boots against the others. Just feel like his optimum level is just below what you get from the absolute top Test players. Bare in mind it is only an opinion and can't be conclusively proved one way or the other without a crystal ball.

PS: Not ruling out Hussey never retiring tbh. Reckon he'll go kicking and screaming.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
How about Michael Hill and Marcus Harris?

Definitely not as obvious picks as Lynn or Maddinson, but I'll be interested in seeing how both progress over the next year or two.
It would help Harris if Marsh plays or benchwarms for Aus, other than that he might not be getting automatic starts with WA and does Michael Hill ever get a proper run with Victoria? I'm a bit more interested in Lynn than any of them. He's scored some tough runs for Qld.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah he's got an amazing amount of runs - amazing amount - but something tells me he might never crack it consistently. I can't see him mastering any of the English, South African or Pakistani attacks but can see him filling his boots against the others. Just feel like his optimum level is just below what you get from the absolute top Test players. Bare in mind it is only an opinion and can't be conclusively proved one way or the other without a crystal ball.

PS: Not ruling out Hussey never retiring tbh. Reckon he'll go kicking and screaming.
I don't necessarily disagree with that, but do you think we're going to get more out of Marsh and Ferguson than a player like the one you just described?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
It would help Harris if Marsh plays or benchwarms for Aus, other than that he might not be getting automatic starts with WA and does Michael Hill ever get a proper run with Victoria? I'm a bit more interested in Lynn than any of them. He's scored some tough runs for Qld.
I found Michael Hill to be a major letdown last season. Victoria gave him a significant opportunity to impress last season (10 matches), and he struggled to convert his starts. Not a problem unique with Hill in Australian cricket admittedly.

Andre

International Regular
I don't necessarily disagree with that, but do you think we're going to get more out of Marsh and Ferguson than a player like the one you just described?
To make runs at 5 and 6 I reckon we'll get more out of those guys, yeah. Certainly Ferguson, who's record reminds me a lot of M Clarke before he played Test cricket. There are only 2 opening spots in every side and Watson is a lock for 1 of them for as long as he wants. Reckon Hughes either opens or isn't in so I don't really see him in the middle order.

Would love a bolter like Luke Pomersbach to have an amazing season or 2 and put himself in the frame.

Not ruling out Tim Paine and Matthew Wade both being in the side either, with 1 as a bat.

Spikey

peter forrest to have a storming start to his QLD career; penny to drop for Mark Cosgrove (but not before checking if said penny is a chocolate penny)

the big thing i like about warner is that he's actually had to earn his fc spot, and will have to preform to keep it. unlike say well the rest

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To make runs at 5 and 6 I reckon we'll get more out of those guys, yeah. Certainly Ferguson, who's record reminds me a lot of M Clarke before he played Test cricket. There are only 2 opening spots in every side and Watson is a lock for 1 of them for as long as he wants. Reckon Hughes either opens or isn't in so I don't really see him in the middle order.

Would love a bolter like Luke Pomersbach to have an amazing season or 2 and put himself in the frame.

Not ruling out Tim Paine and Matthew Wade both being in the side either, with 1 as a bat.
Wouldn't be at all adverse to Warner batting 5 or 6 so Hughes can keep opening tbh.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
I found Michael Hill to be a major letdown last season. Victoria gave him a significant opportunity to impress last season (10 matches), and he struggled to convert his starts. Not a problem unique with Hill in Australian cricket admittedly.
e

Hill seems to have been around a long time, I didn't realise he'd got that many matches already. Last year so many batsmen struggled. Difficult to see who is holding up their hands.

Last edited:

adub

International Captain

I agree those 5 are basically locks for me ATM with the 6 spot going to one of Lynn, Maxwell, Smith, Maddinson or one of the other youngsters coming through. Three years time sees Uzi and Warner 27/28 yrs old so fairly experienced with Pup and Watson 32/33. Hughes and another u25 gives a good blend. Marsh and Ferguson would rely on the youngsters being even more crap than them, and I can't see ALL of the quality coming through failing. At least one will put the runs on the board to demand the spot. The ability to bowl a bit may swing it to Maxwell or Smith, but Lynn looks real good as does Maddinson.

adub

International Captain
Wouldn't be at all adverse to Warner batting 5 or 6 so Hughes can keep opening tbh.
I think Warner is a genuine opener. He really struggled batting low in the Blues order, but as soon as he got the opener's gig the runs started to flow. That doesn't mean he couldn't score runs lower down (nor that Hughes, or Watson couldn't). But he looks like he'll score many more against the new ball.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Warner is a genuine opener. He really struggled batting low in the Blues order, but as soon as he got the opener's gig the runs started to flow. That doesn't mean he couldn't score runs lower down (nor that Hughes, or Watson couldn't). But he looks like he'll score many more against the new ball.
Yeah, my preference is the order I posted them in in my post before, but if Watson doesn't want to move I don't have any issue with Warner in the middle order (again assuming he has a strong Shield season).

Ruckus

International Captain
What do people think of having two very attacking openers over one attacking and one more defensive player (e.g. Hughes/Warner vs Watson/Katich)?