• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
I reckon the worst thing is that the next two tests are probably going to be played on roads which will play the same way all five days without a hint of wear and tear. Gameplan for the teams: Win the toss and bat forever.

I dont see think any of the curators and the staff there will take any sort of risks with it now that Galle has come under scrutiny. Shame that such a promising series would come to this sort of end.
Sri Lanka won't be helped by roads now. They need to win at least one match, then a road might be on offer.

adub

International Captain
Marsh batting at three for some ****ed up reason
They've seen enough of how well he goes starting against spin.

Hopefully its an indication that they see Uzi as the longer term option and so don't want to chop and change him around.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
**** some people are weirdos.

Noone is saying a five day draw-borefest is good. In fact I'm the first to say it's ****. But on the same token, the pitch in Galle was also not ideal for test cricket.

Having inconsistent bounce, as well as balls breaking the surface from ball one is not a good thing.

The argument of 'it's good for a bit of variation' is also rubbish, because if that was the case why don't we play a couple of tests a year on a foundation of dog ****.

I'm fine with subcontinent wickets spinning a dickload. It's what makes it such a challenge for sides coming from other places. But you don't have to have a pitch breaking up on day one for it to spin alot, let's not forget that.
But then what about pitches in SA,Australia and England which are 250 par with the first day being a advantage for bowlers and not turning a inch even till day 4?

I struggle to see how a pitch having uneven bounce is bad compared to those having extra bounce and pace too? Equal scoring rate on both with swing and infact the quicker and bouncier pitch is more likely to result in a injury compared to a low bounce pitch.

Might as well have standardised pitches everywhere and basically limit the spinners to a supporting role only, if they are going to moan about such pitches. No variation though would be so boring.

And the best part is that Moaning about this pitch would mean that because they really can't prepare a green track in Srilanka, the Srilankan curators will again have no choice but to prepare a flatter pitch and some rain could keep it together and make it a road. And the ****ing dumb idiots at the ICC would be fine with it.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
They've seen enough of how well he goes starting against spin.

Hopefully its an indication that they see Uzi as the longer term option and so don't want to chop and change him around.
If that's the idea then I'm OK with them completely getting the batting order wrong for one match.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Where do people see the order in say 3 years time?

For mine, batting Marsh at three is horse ****, because in three years time I see Usman, form permitting, batting at three or (which I'd like to see) even opening with Watto moving into the middle order.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain

For mine, batting Marsh at three is horse ****, because in three years time I see Usman, form permitting, batting at three or (which I'd like to see) even opening with Watto moving into the middle order.
I'd like to see Khawaja opening as well and Watson at 4 with Clarke at 5.

I don't know who is coming up to take over 3 - in a fantasy world I'd like Mitchell Marsh to suddenly launch himself as a batsman so that he can - but he may never be more than a LO player.

But Punter ain't going anywhere yet, so no point in disturbing the order for one match.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd like to see Khawaja opening as well and Watson at 4 with Clarke at 5.

I don't know who is coming up to take over 3 - in a fantasy world I'd like Mitchell Marsh to suddenly launch himself as a batsman so that he can - but he may never be more than a LO player.

But Punter ain't going anywhere yet, so no point in disturbing the order for one match.
I understand that, but when an opportunity like this presents itself, it would be silly not to give Usman some experience, even if it is only one match, in that position.

Andre

International Regular

Reckon in 3 years time we are looking at

Warner
Watson
Khawaja
Clarke
Marsh
Ferguson

as our top 6. Will be interesting to see how close is it to that.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Reckon in 3 years time we are looking at

Warner
Watson
Khawaja
Clarke
Marsh
Ferguson

as our top 6. Will be interesting to see how close is it to that.
Seems like too many of players who have a history of not batting long. Watson as an opener is not something I am comfortable long term for this reason, but then he'd have that problem anywhere I guess and he is fantastically useful as he is.

I would really hope that some of the youngsters, like Maddinson and Lynn step up as Ferguson and Marsh are non-ton scorers. It's more likely a youngster improves than either of them. Though of course anyone can suddenly improve so I may be a bit harsh.

Andre

International Regular
Seems like too many of players who have a history of not batting long. Watson as an opener is not something I am comfortable long term for this reason, but then he'd have that problem anywhere I guess and he is fantastically useful as he is.

I would really hope that some of the youngsters, like Maddinson and Lynn step up as Ferguson and Marsh are non-ton scorers. It's more likely a youngster improves than either of them. Though of course anyone can suddenly improve so I may be a bit harsh.
Mate at the moment no-one in FC in Australia bats long bar Wes Robinson, who doesn't make any runs.

Watson will open for the remainder of his career if he wants to.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Did I just see Warner listed as a Test opener? :wacko:
Have you seen him bat in Shield cricket? Because I have. He certainly shouldn't be there yet but contrary to popular belief he has the technique and potential to get there. Assuming someone is too loose for Tests based on watching them play T20 cricket is ludicrous.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I don't mind the use of Marsh and Ferguson as stop-gap measures, but I don't see either becoming a permanent fixture.

The likes of Maddinson, Finch and Lynn are more likely to be pressing for Test selection in three years time.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Mate at the moment no-one in FC in Australia bats long bar Wes Robinson, who doesn't make any runs.

Watson will open for the remainder of his career if he wants to.
I mean big tons, not so much batting time. Dashing 50's are annoying.

It would be amusing to see Wes Robinson in the team. Lot's of ugly 30's while a procession of batsmen comes and goes at the other end

Old school.