• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
actually the pitch might ease up a bit...
How? It won't have gotten wet, I can only think at best it will not deteriorate as fast without the sun on it. I don't know that it could pssible get better for batting, but I guess we wait and see.

Daemon

Saw in the England series that even on a good bowling surface, crap seamers i.e. the Indian guys were largely ineffectual but good bowlers and batsman with decent techniques prospered. He, any old Tom, Dick and Dilshan are turning it square and getting wickets. It is akin to Ian Bell bowling Sachin with one that seamed yards.

The leading wicket taker in this test match is a poor bowler; the pitch has made him become a superstar. That's a bit different to the England series where the leading wicket takers were all guys who have some kind of rep.
The leading run scorers are the guys who've actually played tremendous knocks. Works both ways tbh.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I'm not too fussed with the pitch. Especially since this is like a once-in-five-years pitch. The two players who have played really well have gotten runs. Those who didn't, haven't. What's wrong with that?

Burgey

Yeah I'm not too fussed with the pitch. Especially since this is like a once-in-five-years pitch. The two players who have played really well have gotten runs. Those who didn't, haven't. What's wrong with that?
Nah, ****

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Doubt Sri Lanka will be making pitches like this for a while anyhow. Their bowlers need the assistance to get 20 wickets but their batting is dependent on 3 guys, so it’s too risky. Lose here or magically chase down 300+, play the rest of the series on roads and take the 1 zip loss/win.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Saw in the England series that even on a good bowling surface, crap seamers i.e. the Indian guys were largely ineffectual but good bowlers and batsman with decent techniques prospered. He, any old Tom, Dick and Dilshan are turning it square and getting wickets. It is akin to Ian Bell bowling Sachin with one that seamed yards.

The leading wicket taker in this test match is a poor bowler; the pitch has made him become a superstar. That's a bit different to the England series where the leading wicket takers were all guys who have some kind of rep.
I dont' see what the problem is. Why should wickets all offer the same thing as regards batsmen and bowlers? There has been some truly dreadful and lazy shots in this match, batsmen ride first class too often.

Edit: Are you referring to Herath? I thought you were.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
It's not like Lyon was bowling long hops, either. You still have to bowl decently or a good player will cart you.

In my view a pitch is bad when skill, determination etc. ceases to be the overriding factor in determining performance. The two batsmen who have been the most adept against spin have been Hussey and Clarke. The two batsmen with runs are Hussey and Clarke.

It's not a perfect Test pitch but it's hardly terrible.

Last edited:

benchmark00

A good pitch should allow batsmen and bowlers to showcase their skills. Having a pitch which all but takes out the drive is not a great example of cricket.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
A good pitch should allow batsmen and bowlers to showcase their skills. Having a pitch which all but takes out the drive is not a great example of cricket.
Why should they all do that though? This is what I don't understand. Why should they all deteriorate at the same rate?

Nothing wrong with the odd dodgy pitch.

I remember Adam Gilchrist:wub: in an interview saying that the innings he was most proud of was a score in the mid-40's on a really, really tough pitch.

benchmark00

Why should they all do that though? This is what I don't understand. Why should they all deteriorate at the same rate?

Nothing wrong with the odd dodgy pitch.

I remember Adam Gilchrist:wub: in an interview saying that the innings he was most proud of was a score in the mid-40's on a really, really tough pitch.
That's all well and good, but as spectators do we want to see a batsman's talents curtailed because the pictch is just so slow? Also do we want a bowler made to look like god because the pitch is so slow and inconsistent?

I'd suggest we'd want a balance between the two.

Burgey

That's all well and good, but as spectators do we want to see a batsman's talents curtailed because the pictch is just so slow? Also do we want a bowler made to look like god because the pitch is so slow and inconsistent?

I think this is right, in an ideal world.

Then again, in an ideal world, Jono would never have made a post on CW.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain

And I suggest that we don't want (and rarely get) a perfect balance between the two in every match. That sounds like a fantasy expectation.

I think it makes for absorbing cricket watching batsmen struggle for every run. It's just as interesting a spectacle as watching flourishing shot making for me.

I like seeing a range of pitches with differing personalities. Batsmen get to look like gods due to pitches being so true they don't have to think hard about what they are doing, why shouldn't bowlers get the same opportunity from time to time?

Last edited:

benchmark00

And I suggest that we don't want (and rarely get) a perfect balance between the two in every match. That sounds like a fantasy expectation.

I think it makes for absorbing cricket watching batsmen struggle for every run. It's just as interesting a spectacle as watching flourishing shot making for me.

I like seeing a range of pitches with differing personalities. Batsmen get to look like gods due to pitches being so true they don't have to think hard about what they are doing, why shouldn't bowlers get the same opportunity from time to time?
Ah because it's boring and two wrongs don't make a right??

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd not say this has been especially boring (particularly not when Clarke was batting).

The main difference between a bowler's deck and a road is that one leaves both teams with a theoretically equal chance to win. In the other case neither team is likely to win.