• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha, I think Chappell is genuinely good at identifying emerging talent; it's just becoming very evident that he gives it far too much importance, ignoring match performance,and asserting that he always knows better than the game itself. I don't mind him doing it with Lyon especially if the only realistic alternative is Beer and I said that before the series but if started doing it with batsmen or fast bowlers, where there is at least some depth, I'd be pretty annoyed. If it was completely up to him I get the feeling Cummins and Warner would be in the squad.
Yeah agreed. If he stuck to the "Talent Manager" job only then he'd actually be of quite some use. Unfortunately his ego doesn't let him do that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be honest, reckon Warner is a better long-term bet than Phil Hughes at Test level.

Technically very sound, his biggest handicap is what is in his own head. Hughes, meanwhile, will always struggle for consistency unless he's in great form.

Warner as a Test bat isn't as silly as it sounds.
Yep, completely agree. Watched all his Shield innings last season and he looked quality. That's why I brought him up though; Chappell probably thinks the same and doesn't seem to give a flying **** if someone who looks promising hasn't actually performed yet.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be honest, reckon Warner is a better long-term bet than Phil Hughes at Test level.

Technically very sound, his biggest handicap is what is in his own head. Hughes, meanwhile, will always struggle for consistency unless he's in great form.

Warner as a Test bat isn't as silly as it sounds.

I would like to confirm, however, my thoughts that Chappell by and large is a bit of a goose as a selector. But he does have a rare eye for talent and would be an asset if the panel around him was more dilligent.
I've actually been a reasonable Warner long form fan for a while now.

Looked like he was going to be pigeon holed a while back because he hits the ball hard. Outrageous.

Spikey

Warner's never really been written off as a test player on here as far as I remember. cricketweb is smart enough not to assume warner was an one trick pony

Lostman

State Captain
Considering they were a bit on the pants side pre-1992, how many matches have Sri Lanka won with out him in their history? I'm guessing it's single figures.
Off the top of my head, I can remember only 3 tests (non B/Z) SL have won without Murali (out with injury)
One against SA, and two against Pakistan.

Good news is SL's next test series is against Pakistan:ph34r:

Andre

International Regular
I've actually been a reasonable Warner long form fan for a while now.

Looked like he was going to be pigeon holed a while back because he hits the ball hard. Outrageous.
Yep great point. Has always played fantastic cricket shots as opposed to slogs. He hits the ball so cleanly its easy to pidgeon hole him as a slogger but he also has a very well organised defensive technique and a good range of shots. Concentration not been a strength though per se, but he may be getting on top of that.

Not beyond the realms of possibility that he'll have Hughes' spot by the end of the Aussie summer.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
With a good FC season, he should definitely be in contention. Part of his problem was being unable to break into the NSW side.

JBMAC

State Captain
Impressed by the style of Kwajah. His temperament seems ok as well. He may become a good one. Not much said about Harris,s bowling but thought it was tight and on the money. Crappy pitch possibly one of the worst I have seen(on TV) in the sub-continent

OMM!

U19 12th Man
This series is going to cause England more problems than Australia.

Sri Lanka gambled, produced a result pitch and just hoped Sanga, Mahela and Samaraweera would outbat the entire Australian top 7!

Sri Lanka's bowling attack is, statistically, as bad as Bangladesh's! Dilshan has the best Test bowling average in the entire team!!!

So now England will face Sri Lanka on the deadest tracks imaginable, as Sri Lanka know if they produce bunsens, England will destroy them!

Just shows though. Australia aren't actually that bad. 9 of this side faced us in the Ashes!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just been watching the highlights; properly insane day's cricket. SL do love a collapse, don't they? Already need snookers, IMHO.

Not convinced with Huss's dismissal tho. I don't think it hit the glove (side-on angle seems to show a tiny, but dsitinct gap) and, as the the orig decision was NO, I'd have been happier if they'd have stuck with it.

Hate to play the old "he's not that type of player" card too; but he's one of the good guys.

Good bowling from Lyon too. One swallow, etc, but has good control, gives it a rip and has a lovely high arm. Could set your watch to his action.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, I think Chappell is genuinely good at identifying emerging talent; it's just becoming very evident that he gives it far too much importance, ignoring match performance and asserting that he always knows better than the game itself. I don't mind him doing it with Lyon especially if the only realistic alternative is Beer and I said that before the series but if he started doing it with batsmen or fast bowlers, where there is at least some depth, I'd be pretty annoyed. If it was completely up to him I get the feeling Cummins and Warner would be in the squad.
he spotted suresh raina. that sums it up for me. :ph34r:

Burgey

since you probably thinking I'm bull s****** here, i'll dig up as many as I can from the cricinfo commentary (might miss an odd one).

a couple of them are debatable

In the india england series, even 1 decision led to so much controversy. here this guys seems to be getting away with everything

i feel he's just not good enough when the spinners are on.
one day he's conservative and the next day he's raising his finger at almost anything. wtf is that
Might have a bit to do with which team was getting dusted :ph34r:

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Get stuff by our attack!

Aside from Lyon's impressive debut, what I love now about our attack is that with Copeland and Harris, there is now some real control. Not comparing them to the great Warne and McGrath, but the great thing about those two blokes was that there was a real baseline or floor put under our attack in the sense that even if they were not taking wickets, they had such control, that the game wouldn't easily get away from us. I felt that same thing last night - that with Harris and Copelend if they don't take wickets, they at least have a suffocating effect on the opposition. Invaluable IMO

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
Get stuff by our attack!

Aside from Lyon's impressive debut, what I love now about our attack is that with Copeland and Harris, there is now some real control. Not comparing them to the great Warne and McGrath, but the great thing about those two blokes was that there was a real baseline or floor put under our attack in the sense that even if they were not taking wickets, they had such control, that the game wouldn't easily get away from us. I felt that same thing last night - that with Harris and Copelend if they don't take wickets, they at least have a suffocating effect on the opposition. Invaluable IMO
The great thing about their bowling was the reason they didn't get amongst the wickets. The didn't offer anything to hit, so the batsmen sat on them hoping for more tasty offerings. To score against them would have meant taking a risk (a la Dilshan) and that would have brought edges. They had stopped the scoring so much that by the time Watson came on and bowled his little gem of a spell and Lyon bowled so well they had no where to go. I said before yesterday I had a real good feeling about the make up of this attack and in helpful conditions it has really delivered. I reckon in more batsmen friendly conditions is where it will really come into it's own as Harris and Copeland will need to be attacked a bit more and that will spell danger.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Really hoping Lyon's debut isn't another case of conditions and situations causing him to do well here only to struggle the next tour and get dropped....
Don't think it is though actually looks pretty good. Should be a good day today, hoping Khawaja can stamp his mark in the side today.

howardj

International Coach
The great thing about their bowling was the reason they didn't get amongst the wickets. The didn't offer anything to hit, so the batsmen sat on them hoping for more tasty offerings. To score against them would have meant taking a risk (a la Dilshan) and that would have brought edges. They had stopped the scoring so much that by the time Watson came on and bowled his little gem of a spell and Lyon bowled so well they had no where to go. I said before yesterday I had a real good feeling about the make up of this attack and in helpful conditions it has really delivered. I reckon in more batsmen friendly conditions is where it will really come into it's own as Harris and Copeland will need to be attacked a bit more and that will spell danger.
Yep, and it will be good for Johnson too. He can sort be used in short bursts and be our wild spear-head, X factor type bowler rather than worrying about economy, and not be forced to bowl in long spells.

Of course though, it would be great if he was economical too.

Top_Cat

Credit to Haddin for his keeping yesterday too. Had to cope with some fairly ordinary bounces and was very tidy I thought.

Aussies were sharp in the field in general and some of the grabs were ****ing sensational.

Last edited: