• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Howe_zat

Audio File
Bit over the top considering we've had de Silva, Doctrove and Harper recently. He has had some shockers, though.
A bit?

He's completely ignored Silva and Harper's year that got them kicked of the panel, Bowden screwing Broad over this summer, the cacophony of dire umpiring that was the Mohali test in 2010, Rudi Koertzen's nightmare in the 2009 Ashes, the list goes on. All we've had here are a couple of shaky referrals.

Amazing how umpires can have utterly terrible series and it's forgotten, but when a decision involving DRS is questionable, it's the worst thing to have ever happened.

Spark

Global Moderator
A bit?

He's completely ignored Silva and Harper's year that got them kicked of the panel, Bowden screwing Broad over this summer, the cacophony of dire umpiring that was the Mohali test in 2010, Rudi Koertzen's nightmare in the 2009 Ashes, the list goes on. All we've had here are a couple of shaky referrals.

Amazing how umpires can have utterly terrible series and it's forgotten, but when a decision involving DRS is questionable, it's the worst thing to have ever happened.
The initial not out to Clarke in the 1st innings was pretty bad tbf.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit over the top considering we've had de Silva, Doctrove and Harper recently. He has had some shockers, though.
he's made 5 or so incorrect calls so far in JUST 2 days. (probably more)
initially i thought he was probably a very conservative umpire because he was ruling everything into batsman's favour yesterday (even balls hitting middle of middle stump) but today he was completely the opposite...took gambles with the decisions.
seriously he was pretty clueless.
it's just that because of URDS he hasn't been under much spotlight. urds has been saving him from all the criticism.

Lostman

State Captain
Well that was depressing, surviving 50 overs at a RR of 2. It looked like Australia was home team playing on a real spinning wicket.

Hope the good players of spin can break 100 second time around.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
70 more runs please. For gods sake Johnson, just flail the bat around. Don't pretend to be a batsmen

Ruckus

International Captain
Just watched the highlights...it's still early days, but pretty psyched about this new look attack. Looks like it has such good balance and variation. May it's success long continue, and hopefully our batsmen will start matching it.

Spark

Global Moderator
An interesting stat:

The 18 runs aggregated between the fifth and tenth wickets is the second-lowest for Sri Lanka in Tests. The lowest is eight runs against England in 1982.
I'll say it again - their tail is decent on paper, but in reality it's often appalling.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
A bit?

since you probably thinking I'm bull s****** here, i'll dig up as many as I can from the cricinfo commentary (might miss an odd one).

a couple of them are debatable

Herath to Clarke, OUT, Review time. Clarke is not picking the arm balls. Again pushes forward, plays for the non-existent turn, and is beaten comprehensively. Prasanna Jayawardene is so sure this is out he doesn't even look up and starts running towards the bowler. Umpire Kettleborough, though, still thinks it's not out. Sri Lanka go for the review this time, and replays show this is hitting the middle of middle stump, and Clarke hasn't even got outside the line of off. Couldn't have been plumber had he been fixing pipes. Strange he wasn't given out originally

Herath to Hussey, no run, lovely bowling, pushed through, 94ks, Hussey is taken by surprise, is late into it, is beaten, and is hit on the knee roll when deep in the crease. Huge shout obviously, but they are not getting any lbws from Kettleborough

Lakmal to Harris, OUT, Finally they get an lbw out of Kettleborough. This takes a long internal deliberation, though. This is short outside off, Harris doesn't offer a shot, the ball seams back in sharply, and hits him just under the knee roll, just outside off. Because he was not playing a shot, the point of impact was irrelevant. To me, it looked like it would have the the top of off. Kettleborough takes his time before sending Harris on his way. Harris mulls a review, but doesn't ask for it. I tell you what, the ball projection shows this didn't come back in to hit the stumps! Even if Harris thought he was out, he should have gone for that strategic review

Herath to Clarke, no run, Arm ball! Review for lbw? No they don't go for the review. That was mighty close. Clarke pressed forward, played for the turn, this one went straight, hit him in front of off. That was plumb. Umpire Kettleborough says not out. Dilshan thinks about it, but doesn't challenge the call

Dilshan to Hughes, OUT, Dilshan gets Hughes, who falls leg before on the sweep, Australia go for the review, it was flighted full around off stump, Hughes went down for the swing but missed, the ball seemed to straighten sharply on the replay, would that have missed off, but the ball tracker shows it going straight on with the angle and hitting leg stump, hmm, Hughes is gone anyways

Dilshan to Clarke, no run, Clarke caught on the crease again, this time the umpire agrees with Sri Lanka, but it is Clarke's turn to review, and would you believe it, the turn on that one would have taken it well down leg, he was struck in front of leg stump and the ball was turning in from outside off stump

Hussey decision? looked out on replay but that might've been because of the camera angle

In the india england series, even 1 decision led to so much controversy. here this guys seems to be getting away with everything

i feel he's just not good enough when the spinners are on.
one day he's conservative and the next day he's raising his finger at almost anything. wtf is that

Spark

Global Moderator
The fourth one wasn't out. Indeed if it was given and then reviewed it probably would have been overturned. The second one wasn't out either.

Andre

International Regular
At the risk of an infraction...

Credit where credit is due to Greg Chappell. I know he's been pushing for Lyon massively since that 'A' tour before this series. Dare say if he wasn't the selector on duty Lyon may not have played. Hoping he's backed a good one here long term.

Enjoyed the fact he cleaned up the tail too - it is a hugely underrated part of a spinners job being able to mop up towards the end of an innings.

Clarke played a gem of an innings. Ryan Harris and Trent Copeland were fantastic.

How good is Test cricket?!

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Credit where credit is due to Greg Chappell. I know he's been pushing for Lyon massively since that 'A' tour before this series. Dare say if he wasn't the selector on duty Lyon may not have played. Hoping he's backed a good one here long term.

Enjoyed the fact he cleaned up the tail too - it is a hugely underrated part of a spinners job being able to mop up towards the end of an innings.

Clarke played a gem of an innings. Ryan Harris and Trent Copeland were fantastic.

nah **** that
:laugh:

Spark

Global Moderator

Broken clock etc.

:ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Broken clock etc.

:ph34r:
Haha, I think Chappell is genuinely good at identifying emerging talent; it's just becoming very evident that he gives it far too much importance, ignoring match performance and asserting that he always knows better than the game itself. I don't mind him doing it with Lyon especially if the only realistic alternative is Beer and I said that before the series but if he started doing it with batsmen or fast bowlers, where there is at least some depth, I'd be pretty annoyed. If it was completely up to him I get the feeling Cummins and Warner would be in the squad.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
If it was completely up to him I get the feeling Cummins and Warner would be in the squad.
To be honest, reckon Warner is a better long-term bet than Phil Hughes at Test level.

Technically very sound, his biggest handicap is what is in his own head. Hughes, meanwhile, will always struggle for consistency unless he's in great form.

Warner as a Test bat isn't as silly as it sounds.

I would like to confirm, however, my thoughts that Chappell by and large is a bit of a goose as a selector. But he does have a rare eye for talent and would be an asset if the panel around him was more dilligent.