• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2011

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Funny I'd say 16 different players scoring half centuries and 8 getting 5fers (2 10fers) showed a depth of squad, rather than plodders. Yes Woakes has been a star, but it's been about far more than that this season.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Parnell's been pretty unimpressive so far this season
Parnell's been pretty disappointing in general throughout his career. Sometimes he bowls with good pace, sometimes he swings it a but, but never the twain shall meet and he never does either with any semblance of consistent accuracy.

The biggest compliment I could give him at this stage is that he has a very high ceiling as a bowler, but he's a long way from it as it stands so it's not really relevant to his immediate performances.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's still young, though if he isn't showing any sign of improving then he probably won't get better with age either. He has been playing cricket for a decade after all. Don't see him being more than a very good strike bowler in the LO format, always seems to be going for runs. Handy batsmen as well which is always useful.

Last edited:

Mr Popodopolous

Cricket Spectator
Fairly early declaration by Middlesex, Strauss 240ish*.

In response, Leicestershire couldn't even muster a single batting point (496/2 vs 193)- anyone else think that since 20/20 won their heart may not fully be in it!?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Parnell's been pretty unimpressive so far this season
Pretty normal for Parnell tbh. He does average over 45 in franchise cricket in South Africa. It was only for Eastern Province and Kent that Parnell has a decent FC average.

Allan Donald just yesterday was speaking about South Africa's lack of bowling depth and presumably he is well aware of the struggles of Parnell and Lopsy this year. Philander must be a shoe-in for the Australian test series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Philander must be a shoe-in for the Australian test series.
Haha that would be awesome. I'm highly skeptical of him because I've seen him bowl in one day cricket and he was gash but there's no doubt he deserves his opportunity and I'm really curious to see how he bowls with the red ball as his record is amazing. He's by far the most highly credentialed bowler in First Class cricket around the world who is yet to play a Test. I know the general theory is that he cashes in on 'dog wickets' but given the relatively high runs per wicket in South African franchise cricket, there can't be that many dog wickets. He can bat too which would solve their dire tail problem.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Fairly early declaration by Middlesex, Strauss 240ish*.

In response, Leicestershire couldn't even muster a single batting point (496/2 vs 193)- anyone else think that since 20/20 won their heart may not fully be in it?
Looks like a pretty normal outing by Leicestershire. They are rock bottom of the Championship, are they not?

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Haha that would be awesome. I'm highly skeptical of him because I've seen him bowl in one day cricket and he was gash but there's no doubt he deserves his opportunity and I'm really curious to see how he bowls with the red ball as his record is amazing. He's by far the most highly credentialed bowler in First Class cricket around the world who is yet to play a Test. I know the general theory is that he cashes in on 'dog wickets' but given the relatively high runs per wicket in South African franchise cricket, there can't be that many dog wickets. He can bat too which would solve their dire tail problem.
Without doing the dog work myself, I always wanted to know what Pro averaged outside the Cape and particularly at grounds such as Kingsmead and The Wanderers. At Paarl or Newlands, he is a champion but to average under 20 in franchise cricket (averages about 10 for Western Province), he must be doing the business away from him somewhere.
Has a rep for being an asshole, while he is also fat and can’t field/catch (dropped the ICC 20/20 WC 2007), which got him blacklisted for a time but going by the comments from the new South African coaching team, he maybe back in favour.

Stupid to say but I can see the barometer for Pro's test selection being determined by performances in the Champions League.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Without doing the dog work myself, I always wanted to know what Pro averaged outside the Cape and particularly at grounds such as Kingsmead and The Wanderers. At Paarl or Newlands, he is a champion but to average under 20 in franchise cricket (averages about 10 for Western Province), he must be doing the business away from him somewhere.
Has a rep for being an asshole, while he is also fat and can’t field/catch (dropped the ICC 20/20 WC 2007), which got him blacklisted for a time but going by the comments from the new South African coaching team, he maybe back in favour.

Stupid to say but I can see the barometer for Pro's test selection being determined by performances in the Champions League.
Haha yeah I distinctly remember a couple of his dropped catches; one of them was an absolute joke. Still really keen to see him get a go though, just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nice comeback from Yorkshire. Missed out on the 300 but two early wickets. Chanderpaul to presumably ruin everything again, but I remain positive.

Worcs' tail collapsing too. Lancashire in with a good shout there, I doubt the pears can get rid of them again straight away.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apparently Stephen Moore has left the ground as Mrs Moore is about to drop a sprog - we'll do well to clear the arrears as things stand - I fear our season is about to revert to type :(

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh well Yorkshire are as good as down but the good news is Lancashire have choked the title YET AGAIN. :laugh:

Daft as it is, if Yorkshire win then Sussex look nervously over their shoulders. Be good for overall enjoyment of cricket if we could set up a brilliant relegation tussle in the last few weeks to go with the title battle going on.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Lancs screwing us over as well.

Our second massive partnership of recent weeks though, great to see Carbs and Adams getting runs together again, has been a big loss that partnership. Not dominated a match like this in so long.