• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

adub

International Captain
Yeah, I remember Adam Dale (similar pace) never quite had the same impact at Test level as at FC level.

Though it must be said he played the vast bulk of his FC games on raging Gabba green tops.
Dale only got to play 2 tests, one at that noted seaming wicket at Bangalore where he opened with Kasper, and the other in Antigua where we were so convinced the pitch was going to seam about he was selected to open with McGrath with MacGilla, and Funky as the other two bowlers. Bit hard to say he got found out. He took three wickets in each game in convincing wins. Sure his test average was way over his incredible FC average, but I think rather than being found out he just suffered from being used on pitches where his job was mostly to get the shine off it for the spinners, and us having more depth then with McGrath, Gillespie, Reifel, Kasprowicz, Fleming, Bichel, Miller, Warne and MacGill all playing around that time and Lee just about to come into the side. He did his job when called up.

He certainly was a handy bowler, and not just at Brisbane. His record everywhere other than Adelaide and Bellerive is fantastic. Probably desperately unlucky not to get more tests despite the talent available at the time. If we didn't have Warne and MacGill (and to a lesser extent Miller) he would have made a brilliant 4th bowler on a lot of pitches. Copeland's extra height makes him a bit different prospect to Dale though despite the similarities in pace and control. I'd expect with the pace stocks as they are Copes will get more than two chances on bunsens to impress.

adub

International Captain
So excited for this test.

Copeland to take 10fer
Ha I've been waiting for a long time to finally watch Copes at test level, but I think I'll keep the excitement down a few notches below that. If he can pick up his 2 or 3 each innings and keep it tight then he'll have done his job. No need to build it up any more than that.

With Watson and hopefully Clarke (and maybe be even some of the others) bowling we only need a couple of wickets from each bowler each innings to get to 20.

As much as I'm keen to see Copes and Lyon, and even just keen to find out what the Mitchell Johnson lucky dip has in store, I hope we win the toss and bat. There is so much to look forward to there like will Watson get out the 50s, will Hughes bring his fc form to the Tests, is Punter going to get back into form, will captaincy continue to bring out the best in Clarke, was Hussey's summer a blip on a long slow decline or a rejuvination, and will Uzi lock down his spot in the side? It really does feel like the start of a new era for us. I can't wait to see how it pans out.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ha I've been waiting for a long time to finally watch Copes at test level, but I think I'll keep the excitement down a few notches below that. If he can pick up his 2 or 3 each innings and keep it tight then he'll have done his job. No need to build it up any more than that.

With Watson and hopefully Clarke (and maybe be even some of the others) bowling we only need a couple of wickets from each bowler each innings to get to 20.

As much as I'm keen to see Copes and Lyon, and even just keen to find out what the Mitchell Johnson lucky dip has in store, I hope we win the toss and bat. There is so much to look forward to there like will Watson get out the 50s, will Hughes bring his fc form to the Tests, is Punter going to get back into form, will captaincy continue to bring out the best in Clarke, was Hussey's summer a blip on a long slow decline or a rejuvination, and will Uzi lock down his spot in the side? It really does feel like the start of a new era for us. I can't wait to see how it pans out.
Man, I'd love Khawaja at four, Clarke five and Hussey six. Won't happen though.

Actually, I'd like Khawaja at three, Ponting four, Clarke five and Hussey six. But that won't happen.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah there's so many questions to be answered in this test. I just hope things finally start to click again and everyone contributes. Hussey will fail though

howardj

International Coach
My theme for the Test is Back to Basics.

Back to bowling at the stumps and in a consistent area for six balls per over (Copes and Rhino will help this)

Back to relatively conventional fields (can we please have a 3rd man too!)

Back to occupying the crease and being patient

Back to showing some vitality in the field, which includes getting through our overs.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Back to bowling at the stumps and in a consistent area for six balls per over (Copes and Rhino will help this)

Back to showing some vitality in the field, which includes getting through our overs.
Don't worry, Lee isn't playing

adub

International Captain
Man, I'd love Khawaja at four, Clarke five and Hussey six. Won't happen though.

Actually, I'd like Khawaja at three, Ponting four, Clarke five and Hussey six. But that won't happen.
Like the old Pantene commercial used to say - it won't happen overnight, but it WILL happen.

adub

International Captain

Yeah all of that. The team selected show that something similar is going through the squad's mind. Clarke wrapping Copeland and emphasising that his bowling allows him to set a field that will be bowled to. Picking Uzi over Marsh. These are selections for proper test cricket.

Even Lyon, although he must be considered at this stage less reliable than Beer's darts is a good test cricket selection. He's there to toss it up and make it spin. Likely to be harder to set a field to unless he can land them consistently, but with Copes or Watson at the other end you can afford to attack and put a couple around the bat as well as some deep protection. So much better than having a slow bowler in there trying to tie up and end whilst Johnson is spraying them around at the other - we saw in the Ashes that doesn't work.

Hopefully Stumper's work with the fielding will show up with all the basics ticked off and good pressure and catches held. I'm confident Clarke will have the talk up and make smart changes to stop the game drifting as well as getting a good balance between defence and attack with the field placings. If we do get those basics right that you've listed, we won't be beaten at least.

Spark

Global Moderator
TBH whilst that's all well and good that doesn't address or explain our most long-running chronic issue - inexplicable middle order collapses.

adub

International Captain
TBH whilst that's all well and good that doesn't address or explain our most long-running chronic issue - inexplicable middle order collapses.
Don't know about inexplicable. Over the last 2 years Ponting, Clarke and Hussey have spent very long periods badly out of form and we had Marcus North and Steve Smith at 6. Seems pretty self explanatory to me. Clarke looks like he's back in good knick and Khawaja should easily prove better than the previous incumbents. Ponting and Hussey's form are big questions though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Some of the collapses have been genuinely "how the **** did you lot manage that?" though. Some of the stuff in India, that ridiculous 2nd innings at Perth vs. WI come to mind. Lord's 1st innings in the 09 Ashes too, all the talk was about Mitch's self-destruction and fair enough but we lost that Test by hooking our way to 250ao on a road.

@bench 2:30pm

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hoping to see some hot chix in the crowd.

What time does it start? 2pm?
M00phy, you have said before you've faced Copeland. How do you rate him pace-wise, compared with some of the faster blokes around the grade scene?

Sernd reply by 12.15pm for free ribs.

howardj

International Coach
Hoping to see some hot chix in the crowd.

What time does it start? 2pm?
Fox blokes in the studio from 2pm

EDIT - Hoping Sarah Jones gets a start in the studio, work her in there somewhere like on the AFL shows.

Kick off at 2:30pm

Stumps at 9:30pm (assuming no extra half hour)

Last edited: