• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

BoyBrumby

Englishman
SL have cut Prasad? WTF? Only played one ODI up here, but still managed to look several leagues above Wele, Curly & Moe.

adub

International Captain
!!!

We actually picked more or less the right team for once! Confirmed off CA's twitter feed. Order may change, but the XI is:

Hughes
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Khawaja
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Copeland
Lyon

And Beer is 12th man.
I haven't woken up to such pleasant news in such a long time.

adub

International Captain
Michael Clarke acknowledged Copeland's strengths, which have also been cited by numerous locals, as likely to be exceptionally useful in Sri Lankan wickets. Also central to his thinking is the fact that Johnson and Harris will be more capable of slipping in quick, aggressive spells with the support of Copeland.

"The greatest advantage Copes has is his statistics in first-class cricket don't tell a lie," Clarke said. "There's a reason he's had success there and I'm certain it'll be the same reason he [will] have success for Australia. He's got great control. Very rarely do you see too many blokes hitting him with the middle of the bat consistently and I think that's because he's got good height and he just wobbles the ball enough. I'm a big wrap for him - I love his control, I love the way he bowled in the first game.
You're not alone in having a wrap for him Pup. Fingers crossed he does well.

"He bowls a lot of overs for not many runs, so that's a great strength. In these conditions if the wickets are flat, it gives you the option to set fields he can bowl to. Because his pace is a little bit slower, he generally has more control so he can bowl more to a field than someone who is bowling at 150km/h."
Not mentioning any names there eh skipper? :laugh:

Sri Lanka v Australia, 1st Test, Galle: Debuts for Copeland and Lyon; Khawaja to play | Cricket News | Sri Lanka v Australia | ESPN Cricinfo

howardj

International Coach
Good to see we got the selections right (what with Usman ahead of Marsh, Copeland ahead of Siddle, and just one spinner).

I love that Copeland has belted the door down with actual performances and consistency.

No more sleeps to go.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm encouraged by Clarke saying Copeland got the nod because of his control. Maybe a move away from the "pace at all costs" mindset.

Should be interesting to see how he goes.

morgieb

I've got a feeling his lack of pace may be found out at the highest level, tbh.

Still, good to see it happen as he actually can bowl, not just has raw pace.

Good to see Lyon get picked, but I think SL will **** him over :(

howardj

International Coach

Yeah, I remember Adam Dale (similar pace) never quite had the same impact at Test level as at FC level.

Though it must be said he played the vast bulk of his FC games on raging Gabba green tops.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year

yeah could happen but he has the height and accuracy to trouble batsmen.

Top_Cat

Yeah, I remember Adam Dale (similar pace) never quite had the same impact at Test level as at FC level.

Though it must be said he played the vast bulk of his FC games on raging Gabba green tops.
Much like Copeland.....That and Dale was a touch quicker through the air. Got big hooping swing too.

I'm pessimistic about Copeland but there's no denying he could have done little more to be picked, the tour game especially, so they had to pick him ahead of Siddle (things would have been different had Bollinger been on tour, though). Lyon, though, really think they're headed in the direction of burning him like they did Cullen, Casson, etc.

Last edited: