• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not a bad side tbh, out of the squad selected.

Lyon a massive gamble I agree.

As for naming the side early, I recall Waugh naming his team for a first Ashes test two weeks out.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's half the side with a handful of matches between them. I wonder if Clarke prefers it that way, as it means gets to build his own side.

Still can't get my head around the Nathan Lyon selection. He has 14 FC wickets. 14.
Might be. No way in hell Clarke could or would have captained the ATG or even the immediate post-ATG side. Opinionated bloke he is, and that wouldn't have rubbed off well on the old-timers.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's half the side with a handful of matches between them. I wonder if Clarke prefers it that way, as it means gets to build his own side.

Still can't get my head around the Nathan Lyon selection. He has 14 FC wickets. 14.
yeah but he has 11 T20 wickets. 11

Ruckus

International Captain
Oh man, ideal team!!! So ****in' psyched, so is that 100% confirmed as the team playing tmrw Spark?

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh man, ideal team!!! So ****in' psyched, so is that 100% confirmed as the team playing tmrw Spark?
CricketAus Cricket Australia
Aus Team 1st Test @ Galle. Clarke, Watson, Ponting, Hughes, Copeland, Harris, Lyon, Johnson, Haddin, khawaja, Hussey. Beer (12th)
53 minutes ago
As good as we'll get.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Well I still actually think Lyon has the potential to do quite well and actually take wickets (Beer not so much), but at the same time it would be his first test and he could quite conceivably let the occasion get the better of him. Lyon just needs more time in adjusting to the longer format, but I think in the long run he will be a pretty successful bowler. Beer on the other hand, while he is a decent bowler, probably will end up fractionally better than players like Doherty/Krejza. If Copeland debuts I hope he isn't burdened by the occasion either, but from the looks of things he is a pretty cool customer.
I don't care if either Lyon or Copeland are overawed. It's their first test and considering some of the very experienced players look like novices regularly (Johnson and Hussey to name two), no-one can hold initial nerves against them even if their first spell is complete crap.

I'm more interested in seeing how Hussey and Punter play. Those two have at least as big question marks next to their names as first test spin and seam bowlers.:dry:

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Not a bad side tbh, out of the squad selected.

Lyon a massive gamble I agree.

As for naming the side early, I recall Waugh naming his team for a first Ashes test two weeks out.
I don't see Lyon as a massive gamble. I don't see any of our spin bowlers as a massive gamble. You can only compare them with each other and it's all pretty much square there.

The only time our spin bowlers have looked like anything at all in the past 18 months is against Pakistan which says it all.

And I think Lyon has possibly got more potential than any of them long-term. He just looks like a real player if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
I don't care if either Lyon or Copeland are overawed. It's their first test and considering some of the very experienced players look like novices regularly (Johnson and Hussey to name two), no-one can hold initial nerves against them even if their first spell is complete crap.
Na I wouldn't hold it against them haha, I just mean from the point of view that it wouldn't help our chances of actually winning the match if they peform badly under the pressure of the occasion. Wouldn't blame them for it if they did.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Na I wouldn't hold it against them haha, I just mean from the point of view that it wouldn't help our chances of actually winning the match if they peform badly under the pressure of the occasion. Wouldn't blame them for it if they did.
Well, at least it would make a change from the headcase doing it.

Ruckus

International Captain
Copeland in the team he won't really need the spinner to tie up an end and bowl long containing spells; we can just use him to attack and Lyon's by far the more likely of the two of actually take wickets on a turning track IMO.
Will be very interested to see how the Sri Lankan's bat if Copeland and Lyon are bowling in tandem. Copeland probably won't give them much to hit, and they will probably try to go after Lyon anyway. Given the way Lyon bowls, I'm hoping for some quality stumpings!

Howe_zat

Audio File
Will be very interested to see how the Sri Lankan's bat if Copeland and Lyon are bowling in tandem. Copeland probably won't give them much to hit, and they will probably try to go after Lyon anyway. Given the way Lyon bowls, I'm hoping for some quality stumpings!
Depends on the batsman. From what I saw this summer, Paranvitana will be content to just rack up maidens against Copeland, deliberately playing inside the line for the one that comes back in. Dilshan will be more likely to use his feet to try and give himself room against the quicks.

Lostman

State Captain
and Herath still manages to hang on. Other than 2 tests against Pakistan this guy has done nothing of note in his whole career, and looks like his "experience" might get him into the playing XI.:@

So the final two spots seems to be between Lakmal/Randiv/Mendis. Would prefer Randiv and Mendis.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
You had better hope that Haddin is concentrating very hard then. He never looks quite right against spin. My impression is that he lets many byes through.

It's going to be an interesting test match for both sides. So many frailties.

Ruckus

International Captain
Depends on the batsman. From what I saw this summer, Paranvitana will be content to just rack up maidens against Copeland, deliberately playing inside the line for the one that comes back in. Dilshan will be more likely to use his feet to try and give himself room against the quicks.
True, true. I'm hoping Copeland actually causes enough trouble though that they feel like they have to attack Lyon. They could well destroy him (!!), but it will make for some pretty exciting cricket nevertheless. Looking at the weather forecast for Galle, looks pretty ominous... could be some serious swing on offer for the quicks.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Ugh forecast looks terrible. That would explain the draw odds...
Odds on a result have actually come in from yesterday. When I commented on it cricketbetlive had the draw as odds on, now it's up to 2.12.

Last edited: