• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Ruckus

International Captain
Malinga isn't the greatest longer format bowler, but considering the alternative pace options Sri Lanka have atm it is kind of ridiculous to suggest Clarke is using reverse psychology or whatever to try and get Malinga back into the team.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One thing I'm really liking about Copeland's record thus far is everything.

Averaging 20.94 (same as Malcolm Marshall's test average)
Striking at 50.9
5 5-wicket hauls and one 10-wicket haul in only 18 first class matches
taking on average over 5 wpm

Sure tests are not the same as first class matches, but his record is phenomenal thus far and I'm really excited to see how he goes in the tests.

Jacknife

International Captain
Trent Copeland - Sheffield Shield Final - YouTube

much slower than praveen tbf according to those speeds.
LOL at the first wicket, where the commentator says 'that's what Copeland does puts the ball in the right area', the ball was a wide half tracker.
Watching that I'd forgotten how slow he was, only seen him once before when England played the Prime Minister's XI on the Ashes tour,. It'll be very interesting to see how he goes because he obviously can bowl a bit.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've been away and am just catching up on the thread, but it seems as though people are assuming Copeland will play? Has there been any indication this is the case?

I only ask because, sure his figures in the warm up game sugges the should play, but there's a lot of Bromance towards Siddle in the set up.

Seems people are talking a likely attack of

Harris
Copeland
Johnson
Beer
Watto

Is that the consensus as to who should be picked (of those who are there, obvs)?

adub

International Captain
One thing I'm really liking about Copeland's record thus far is everything.

Averaging 20.94 (same as Malcolm Marshall's test average)
Striking at 50.9
5 5-wicket hauls and one 10-wicket haul in only 18 first class matches
taking on average over 5 wpm

Sure tests are not the same as first class matches, but his record is phenomenal thus far and I'm really excited to see how he goes in the tests.
Plus a proven ability to bowl 20 over plus spells, an economy rate under 2.5 rpo, and a great pair of hands that allow him to field in the cordon - what's not to like?

adub

International Captain
LOL at the first wicket, where the commentator says 'that's what Copeland does puts the ball in the right area', the ball was a wide half tracker.
Watching that I'd forgotten how slow he was, only seen him once before when England played the Prime Minister's XI on the Ashes tour,. It'll be very interesting to see how he goes because he obviously can bowl a bit.
He didn't play in the PMs XI.

adub

International Captain
I've been away and am just catching up on the thread, but it seems as though people are assuming Copeland will play? Has there been any indication this is the case?

I only ask because, sure his figures in the warm up game sugges the should play, but there's a lot of Bromance towards Siddle in the set up.

Seems people are talking a likely attack of

Harris
Copeland
Johnson
Beer
Watto

Is that the consensus as to who should be picked (of those who are there, obvs)?
That is certainly the attack I think they should and will go with. But added to that Clarke should do plenty of net bowling too so he can get some overs in as well. With Clarke bowling you might opt to go for Lyon instead of Beer for left/right variety as well as flight/dart variety. Neither of the spinners have done anything really to warrant test selection so you might as well toss a coin.

howardj

International Coach
Another thing in Beer's favour is that he may be able to bowl for longer spells than Lyon, who apparetly struggles somewhat to back up. Whether you necessarily want a situation where Beery is bowling long spells is of course another question entirely lol

adub

International Captain
That's the Aus A match, not the PMs XI.
Ah forgive me. I have a blind spot for meaningless one dayers. Yeah he played in that for some reason. As much as I rate Copeland in 4/5 day cricket I'm a long way from being convinced he's a limited overs bowler.

Jacknife

International Captain
Last edited:

adub

International Captain
Not even the right game mate.

Yes, most people said at the time it was a leftfield choice for a 50 over game and he was a far better bowler in first class cricket.
Yeah, my stuff up - see above.

I think I try and block out some of the Australian selector's gross idiocy and picking Copes for a one day selection is up there. He might develop into a handy one day player, but he's not one yet.

adub

International Captain
This is the audio of Pup's interview that most of today's stories are coming from.

audio-player

To me that sounds like Copeland is a lock, and Khawaja is close to a lock, but being Captain means you have to talk up all of your players. Don't think the spin option is any clearer, but then how do you split two guys with so little achievement?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is the audio of Pup's interview that most of today's stories are coming from.

audio-player

To me that sounds like Copeland is a lock, and Khawaja is close to a lock, but being Captain means you have to talk up all of your players. Don't think the spin option is any clearer, but then how do you split two guys with so little achievement?
I hope so.

Khawaja is the incumbent so for him to lose his place after one test would be strange. It's not like Marsh has been beating the door down.