• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was just watching a comp of Asif and he varies his pace a lot between 140 and 110. On average would say it would be around 130, maybe even a tad higher. I'll rephrase the question anwyay, who was the last really successful medium pace bowler (average speeds between say 115-125) who couldn't amp up their speed beyond the low 130s?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Nnanden taking Marsh's and Lyon's failures surprisingly well

now put down the gun
:laugh:

Disappointing outing for both, but neither really deserve their spot for the First Test, so it's not all bad. Epic from Usman to bolt down his position.

I don't think too many South Africans hated Pollock bowling at 125km, nor too many Kiwi's watching Hadlee late in his career, nor Indians with late career Dev.
Now I'm a Copeland fan, but this is ridiculous. :p

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tipping lots of people to start hating Copeland when they actually see him bowl and realise he is military medium.
Haha. I have to admit, I was surprised to see he was bowling at 116-120kph on the YouTube clip I watched...first thought was, what a waste of all that height. Obviously not a waste of height though as he gets wickets off a good length.

Ruckus

International Captain
He is a good OD bowler, but he shouldn't be too much of a problem even if he did return to tests. Wasn't really that happy with Clarke saying he is glad Malinga isn't playing, if this Australian team wants to start moving forward again it has to confront challenges like these, not shy away from them - of the batsmen can't take Malinga, then no chance they will be able to take on the English bowlers next time we meet.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Andre was the first member to post any meaningful info about him but he only beat you by a couple of days and your first post on him contained the :wub: emoticon, so points to you there. Interestingly though, Kylez mentioned him before both of you as Copeland coaches his little brother.
Indeed. I wouldn't have thought he would be playing for Australia this time last year. I'm tipping him to do really well. Copeland really knows his technical stuff so it looks like we may have another quality thinking bowler on our hands, unlike say somebody like Siddle or Johsnon.

Definitely helped my brother and I with our cricket as well.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
He is a good OD bowler, but he shouldn't be too much of a problem even if he did return to tests. Wasn't really that happy with Clarke saying he is glad Malinga isn't playing, if this Australian team wants to start moving forward again it has to confront challenges like these, not shy away from them - of the batsmen can't take Malinga, then no chance they will be able to take on the English bowlers next time we meet.
I'm hoping Clarke said that as a 'throwaway' comment, kind of joking. If not, it's bull****. You can't be the skipper of Australia and openly say that you are glad you aren't playing the best players of the opposition.

Sounds like he still hasn't decided between Marsh and Khawaja.

Ruckus

International Captain
Hmm from his comments, I reckon it sounds like Khawaja is in (as he should be). Most likely squad will be all the norms plus Khawaja, Johnson, Harris, Copeland and Beer. Although I wouldn't put it past them to pick both Beer and Lyon and leave Copeland out, but I think it's unlikely given his comments on how Copeland's style will work well with Harris and Johnson's pace.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
heh, love how people aren't allowing for the possibility that Clarke is talking up the bowler they wouldn't mind facing in Tests.

Also, I'd imagine Marsh is more likely to play because he's more likely to do well batting at 6. Khawaja's played all his cricket opening or at 3, Marsh has batted well for WA lower down so batting at 6 won't be as much of an adjustment, has greater accumulated international experience, etc.

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
Hmm from his comments, I reckon it sounds like Khawaja is in (as he should be). Most likely squad will be all the norms plus Khawaja, Johnson, Harris, Copeland and Beer. Although I wouldn't put it past them to pick both Beer and Lyon and leave Copeland out, but I think it's unlikely given his comments on how Copeland's style will work well with Harris and Johnson's pace.
If they did go with two spinners (they won't) then it wouldn't be Copeland missing out.

Harris' fitness is far too uncertain, Johnson's (and Siddle's) form too uncertain, and they are scared of grinding Watson into the dirt.

Clarke will provide the second spin options.

The old habits of picking nuffies and talking them up as world beaters look like they are still dying hard with this talk about Marsh still being a chance, but surely we have moved on.

Ruckus

International Captain
If they did go with two spinners (they won't) then it wouldn't be Copeland missing out.

Harris' fitness is far too uncertain, Johnson's (and Siddle's) form too uncertain, and they are scared of grinding Watson into the dirt.
They probably won't pick two spinners, but if they did there is no chance Copeland would get preference over Harris and Johnson. Johnson is still very much seen as the attack leader, has come off a good OD series and was rested for the tour match - he is 100% the first pace bowler locked in for the first test. Harris on the other hand has performed well in the tour match, has done nothing wrong in the past and his injury situation is as stable as it can be - according to him knee problems etc. are fine atm. He rightfully should get preference over Copeland who hasn't even played any international cricket yet.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
In all likelihood he'll breakdown

TumTum

Banned
Trent Copeland - Sheffield Shield Final - YouTube

much slower than praveen tbf according to those speeds.
Yeah according to the speed gun he's slower, but he looks quicker which I guess is more important. lol at fatty cosgrove.

Australia in Sri Lanka 2011: Khawaja v Marsh poses selection headache | Cricket Features | Sri Lanka v Australia | ESPN Cricinfo

Too close to call, selection headache my ass. Are they really that stupid or are we missing something :wacko:

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
heh, love how people aren't allowing for the possibility that Clarke is talking up the bowler they wouldn't mind facing in Tests.

Also, I'd imagine Marsh is more likely to play because he's more likely to do well batting at 6. Khawaja's played all his cricket opening or at 3, Marsh has batted well for WA lower down so batting at 6 won't be as much of an adjustment.
Malinga's Test record is certainly far less impressive than his ODI/T20 record. He will always have the ability to run through a tail but top order batsmen usually handle him ok.

As for this oh Marsh is more experienced lower down argument let's call it what it is - desperate. Talk about clinging at straws.

Marsh like Uzi started at 6 (as most new bats do). Unlike Uzi who moved up to 4 after 1 full season (because he is quality), Marsh stayed at 5 or 6 until the beginning of 2006 (his 28th FC game - 5 years). He didn't stay down the order because he excelled there. He stayed there because he was ****. 1408 runs @ 34.34. That's his record batting well for WA lower down. Of course moving him up to 3 didn't go so good early on as he was even more completely **** there until he finally had a good season in 07/08 averaging 60 (all at 3 bar one game at 4). 08/09 they moved him up to opener, but he was **** at that (average 23.85). So for 09/10 he went back to 3 and had another good (half) season, and last summer he only played 4 games FFS. He had one game opening, one at 4 and two at 3.

So where does this he's better suited to batting 6 crap come from? He did play a lot of 5 & 6 a long time ago and he was stuck there because he couldn't score enough runs to force his way higher. He is not worthy of mentioning in the same sentence as Khawaja and there is absolutely no reason at all to think he will do better than Uzi at any spot in the batting order. It is nothing but fools trying to find any desperate excuse justify picking a nuffy over a guy who has the game to be a top shelf test bat.