• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah I agree, I want to see Beer and Lyon go at it again asap. The actual result of this match is trivial.

adub

International Captain
For a meaningless warm up game this has been a cracker for us.

They could have just gone in with the side they were intending to play in Galle, but they did the right thing and gave all of the contenders a fair chance to make their cases.

I would contend all of the genuine quality (Copeland, Harris, Hughes and Khawaja) have stepped up and demanded selection. The unworthy (Siddle and Marsh) performed as they do far too often. Now we just need to have another look at two very inexperience spinners with moderate to poor records to see which wins a prize. (If only SOK had got a go)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well Khawaja appears to have done the business and should stay in the side, can't believe they were thinking of dropping him. Looks like he has a decent temperament and needs a run of games to prove it.

Would imagine a 100 run lead would be all you would want and then get bowling again. Give the spinners a decent bowl and Siddle too in case you need him. Protect Harris against injury and use Copeland sparingly so the less Sri Lankans see of him the better.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha this warmup has worked out almost perfectly from a team selection viewpoint. Muss could do with some runs though.

adub

International Captain
Haha this warmup has worked out almost perfectly from a team selection viewpoint. Muss could do with some runs though.
As could Haddin, but you can't have everything. I'd like to see Pup declare pretty early on tomorrow and then just get the spinners on and bowl em until one falls apart. Be good for Clarke to get some overs under his own belt too.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well Khawaja appears to have done the business and should stay in the side, can't believe they were thinking of dropping him. Looks like he has a decent temperament and needs a run of games to prove it.

Would imagine a 100 run lead would be all you would want and then get bowling again. Give the spinners a decent bowl and Siddle too in case you need him. Protect Harris against injury and use Copeland sparingly so the less Sri Lankans see of him the better.
Don't see how hiding Copeland would help tbh given his style of bowling.

Spark

Global Moderator
So it looks like the team for the first test will be Hughes Watto Ponting Clarke Muss Khawaja Haddin MJ Harris Copeland <spinner>

adub

International Captain
I can't believe Brettig on Cricinfo is still talking about Marsh being in line to play in Galle...

SL Board XI v Australians: Usman Khawaja ton gives Australians lead | SL Board XI v Australians, Colombo, 1st day Report | Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

But Marsh's experiences in the Twenty20 and limited-overs matches so far on tour, while mixed, gave him a more comprehensive sight of the bowlers he is likely to face in the Tests.
FFS. He failed abysmally in 3 of 4 innings and the one innings he did make a score relied on Mahela dropping one he sent straight to first slip when he was on 8. Really comprehensive sight of the bowlers who will get him out cheaply if he does jag a test cap. I cannot believe the amount of people so keen to blow wind up the arse of this nuffy.

TumTum

Banned
I can't believe Brettig on Cricinfo is still talking about Marsh being in line to play in Galle...

SL Board XI v Australians: Usman Khawaja ton gives Australians lead | SL Board XI v Australians, Colombo, 1st day Report | Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

FFS. He failed abysmally in 3 of 4 innings and the one innings he did make a score relied on Mahela dropping one he sent straight to first slip when he was on 8. Really comprehensive sight of the bowlers who will get him out cheaply if he does jag a test cap. I cannot believe the amount of people so keen to blow wind up the arse of this nuffy.
Ridiculous. "experiences in the Twenty20 and limited-overs matches so far on tour" :shutup:

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha especially given how most of his experiences bar one knock were cluelessness of a pretty high order.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds like the Bopara 'tip' cricinfo seemed to have before the Sri Lanka series.

i.e. BS

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
Opening in Sri Lanka against their prank seam attack should be great for Hughes (and Watson), especially with the first test being played at Galle and the last time a touring left handed opener batted there he scored 333 at nigh on a run-a-ball.
Ha ha! this is the same place where England was shot out for 81 with swing and pace of Vaas / Malinga / Welegedara trio. Galle is not ALWAYS spin friendly.

howardj

International Coach
Looks like the following for the 1st Test

Hughes
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Usman
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Copeland
Beer

Like the look of that, especially the leather-flingers - Copeland and Harris pitch the ball up and are always 'at' the batsman.

Last edited: