• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

DriveClub

International Regular
Beer and Lyon.

Doherty isn't even the squad (thankfully).
Oops then have to try out Lyon I guess, Beer looked innocuous in the Ashes. I wasn't impressed with the way the selectors discarded Hauritz tbh, wasn't all that bad and not like we had tons reserve spinners waiting to set the world alight. Should've been in the squad this tour.

Ruckus

International Captain
Beer and Lyon.

Doherty isn't even the squad (thankfully).

---

Apparently this is the first time we've played a tour with three Tests all back to back. There are gonna be some seriously tired bodies in a few months' time...
I don't get what they mean by 'back to back'?

Ruckus

International Captain
There's only three days (minimum) rest between each Test match.
Kind of suprising, I find it hard to believe that's the first time it's gonna have happened. Btw anyone know if the tour match tmrw is gonna be televised?

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absolutely no way Copeland will (or should) be in contention for a Test spot.

Now, with that out of the way, I get the feeling Marsh is in. Been a lot of press about him so there's obviously some talk around the camp about him. I would think Hughes would keep opening with Watto so you'd imagine he'll be picked at 6. Sucks that he seems to have leap-frogged Khawaja.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah that's really annoying tbh. Wanted Khawaja to get a decent run. I'm just hoping it's ODI-hangover effects...

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hope that the tour match team is the following:

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Khawaja
Haddin (wk)
Johnson
Harris
Copeland
Lyon

Which should also be our test side.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Do people think that Ponting should get a rest for the tour game, thus givingt both Khawaja and Marsh a go? Seems like a good idea to me.

stephen

I really hope that we do not go into the tests with two spinners, even if the pitch is a bunsen. Two innocuous spinners is only going to take more wickets than one innocuous spinner if we're willing to concede 400 runs in every innings. I'd much rather a solid pace attack with Lyon/Beer as the fourth bowling option.

stephen

Do people think that Ponting should get a rest for the tour game, thus givingt both Khawaja and Marsh a go? Seems like a good idea to me.
Maybe, he's in some limited overs form, but I'd rather him get some red ball experience back. The only player I'd consider resting would be Watson.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah. Needs some time in the middle to sort his shot selection out. As stephen said, Watto's the only viable candidate for resting for me.

Ruckus

International Captain
Think Ponting should definately play the tour match. Still looks pretty edgy to me, and it will be of far greater value to the team if he goes into the tests with some confidence after the tour match (so fingers crossed he actually gets some runs).

Given the other options, don't know why you think Copeland shouldn't be in contention for a test spot Top_Cat. Compared to someone like Siddle he has performed favourably both in FC and directly along side him in the tour of Zimbabwe. If you assume Johnson and Harris are locked in, Copeland is by far the most deserving of the other quicks.

@Stephen, if the pitch is really going to assist spin the problem is Lyon would have to play a major role in the game. I really think Lyon is a great prospect, but he has mentioned he has struggled with the longer form of the game fitness wise. Think we would need Beer alongside him.

Top_Cat

Given the other options, don't know why you think Copeland shouldn't be in contention for a test spot Top_Cat. Compared to someone like Siddle he has performed favourably both in FC and directly along side him in the tour of Zimbabwe. If you assume Johnson and Harris are locked in, Copeland is by far the most deserving of the other quicks.
Don't rate him. Don't care what his numbers are, he's taken wickets in the most bowler-friendly seasons we've seen in years against a crop of batters who struggle bat a session out without playing a T20 shot. Solid Shield performer but not quick enough nor does he get enough useful movement in flat conditions to knock over Test batters, in my view.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
He ain't quick, that's for sure, but pace is overrated imo. Would be a lot more confident in Copeland extracting movement on flat pitches that Siddle anyway. Can also swing a fair bit depending on the humidity in Sri Lanka, and Copeland would be a far better new ball bowler than Siddle if that is the case.

Spikey

i'd sooner play lyon as a seamer than play another goddamn match featuring both siddle and mj playing

adub

International Captain
for the tour match I'd go with

Hughes
Marsh
Khawaja
Clarke
Haddin
Johnson
Copeland
Siddle
Beer
Pattinson
Lyon

Crazy unbalanced side I know, but it's only a three-dayer and the only chance to have a look at the guys who are fighting for spots and/or haven't had any game time. Would be much better if we had a 2nd game so we could then play something more like the test side to make sure Ponting and Mussey especially get time in the middle, but it isn't going to happen. This side at least gives Hughes a chance to get a bat, and Marsh and Uzi a chance to go head to head. All the bowlers get a chance to show what they've got except Harris who I'd consider a cert and no need to risk injury. If we don't give them all a go we'll just be guessing when we pick the test side.

As a three dayer I'd be hoping to bat second and bat once. Winning is no big deal, getting overs under all the bowlers belts is more important. Bloody stupid scheduling though.

Spikey

tbf its really more our fault for picking a seamer more than what'd you expect for a three test tour. yes yes yes he's mj gone to the dogs/harris has done his back in the shower cover, but really can't blame either of the cricket boards for the one tour match. and particularly given we've already played 5 ODers. you'll usually expect there to be more than one test bowler playing in the ODers...