• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Fair effort from Malinga, first player to achieve 3 ODI hat-tricks. Last 5 ODI hat-tricks have all occurred in the subcontinent with 3 being in Sri Lanka. Colombo and Sharjah have witnessed the most ODI hat-tricks, 3 apiece. Surprised only one Indian has taken a ODI hat-trick given they have played the most ODIs and that Australia have been on the receiving end the most times.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/263626.html

Spark

Global Moderator
Slightly worried about Mussey tbh. Last two matches, maybe it's just a specific bowler, but he does seem to be giving off "where's my off stump?" vibes.

Spark

Global Moderator
So what do guys reckon the tour side will be? Hughes obviously has to play, and we need to have a better look at Marsh/Khawaja, but Siddle, Harris, Copeland, Beer and Lyon really need a bowl too.

Ruckus

International Captain
Hmm its anyones guess what it will be...wouldn't fancy making the calls tbh, a tough situation. As Clarke said it really depends on what the likely conditions are going to be for the first test. If it looks like its going to assist the spinners then probably Beer and Lyon should player, however if its not then three quicks should be included. I would like to see a line up of Watson, Hughes, Ponting, Khawaja, Clarke, Hussey, Haddin, Johnson, Harris, Copeland, Lyon, but if the wickets are indeed turning a lot then, Beer should probably play instead of Copeland. If Lyon had more experience in the longer format, I would to prefer to keep Beer out even if the wickets are assisting the spinners, but he could quite easily fatigue if he is the lone spinner, especially seeing as though we have don't have Smith now or any part timers like North or Katich to share the load.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm its anyones guess what it will be...wouldn't fancy making the calls tbh, a tough situation. As Clarke said it really depends on what the likely conditions are going to be for the first test. If it looks like its going to assist the spinners then probably Beer and Lyon should player, however if its not then three quicks should be included. I would like to see a line up of Watson, Hughes, Ponting, Khawaja, Clarke, Hussey, Haddin, Johnson, Harris, Copeland, Lyon, but if the wickets are indeed turning a lot then, Beer should probably play instead of Copeland. If Lyon had more experience in the longer format, I would to prefer to keep Beer out even if the wickets are assisting the spinners, but he could quite easily fatigue if he is the lone spinner, especially seeing as though we have don't have Smith now or any part timers like North or Katich to share the load.
Yeah indeed. We could play 5 bowlers to try them all out, but the batsman I would feel most comfortable leaving out (as in looks the most settled in these conditions) is Clarke himself, and apart from the obvious reason why that's impossible, he needs FC time in the middle as much as anyone else in that lineup. The next person I'd rest would be Watson but I don't really want to rest him either, he needs runs in the middle too - I'm still not completely sure that he's entirely adjusted to the conditions yet.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah indeed. We could play 5 bowlers to try them all out, but the batsman I would feel most comfortable leaving out (as in looks the most settled in these conditions) is Clarke himself, and apart from the obvious reason why that's impossible, he needs FC time in the middle as much as anyone else in that lineup. The next person I'd rest would be Watson but I don't really want to rest him either, he needs runs in the middle too - I'm still not completely sure that he's entirely adjusted to the conditions yet.
Yeah Watson def still needs as much practice as possible. And obviously whoever is the new no.6, whether Khawaja or Marsh, needs as much practice as anyone, so it is really a tricky situation. Wouldn't be opposed to Johnson being left out tbh, to give a go to someone like Copeland, but I really doubt it will happen.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah it's a tricky one. Johnson probably "needs" to play the least, but on the other hand he is the spearhead and he needs overs under his belt more than most bowlers.

Spark

Global Moderator
Beer and Lyon.

Doherty isn't even the squad (thankfully).

---

Apparently this is the first time we've played a tour with three Tests all back to back. There are gonna be some seriously tired bodies in a few months' time...

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hughes
Usman
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Darsh
Haddin
Harris
Siddle