• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World number one? Then stop taking our players!

irelandcricket

Cricket Spectator
Stirlings hundred v Pakistan shows that he can score big against good sides which had bowlers like Umar Gul ans Sajeed Ajmal playing. The reason Morgan was picked for England was because of his impressive form for Ireland so give Stirling time and England will be knocking on the door. Dockrell as well who has started to feature for Somerset recently.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Funny how you don't see the other side of the argument, that these players have improved because of greater access to a far better coaching system.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ireland need test status, tbh. Only way to stop it.

For chaps like Morgan and Rankin the only way to play at the highest level is to play for us.

Are they really that much worse a side than Bangladesh?

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Guys, Boyd Rankin is not going to be playing for England. They have about 50 guys better than him currently.

I'm much more worried about losing Stirling and Dockrell.

Jacknife

International Captain
Guys, Boyd Rankin is not going to be playing for England. They have about 50 guys better than him currently.

I'm much more worried about losing Stirling and Dockrell.
I wouldn't be because there are plenty of guys in front of them also.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
If Bangladesh has Test status then surely Ireland should also be given Test status. It's the only way players will continue to represent Ireland.

Will Morgan go back to playing for Ireland if they get Test status?

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
No idea, I'd hope so. I'm not sure but I believe he would have to wait a period of time before being eligable too.

Bun

Banned
Ireland need test status, tbh. Only way to stop it.

For chaps like Morgan and Rankin the only way to play at the highest level is to play for us.

Are they really that much worse a side than Bangladesh?
as a romantic I'd love to see them get test status, but no, two wrongs doesn't make a right. Bangers have really no right to parade themselves as a test nation atm.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Funny how you don't see the other side of the argument, that these players have improved because of greater access to a far better coaching system.
So what though? Australians come to England and play county cricket, and Poms come here and play in the grade system.

Doesn't mean those blokes get Shanghaied into the other country's national team.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't be because there are plenty of guys in front of them also.
For now but the way ODI and 20/20 caps are handed out, I wouldn't be too sure. Dockrell has a pretty decent chance in limited overs cricket in the next couple of years, especially with Yardy gone while Stirling is now better than the likes of Michael Lumb. If both players don’t play for England then something would have gone wrong as they are top young cricketers. All they need is a decent showing in a Sky game.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
So what though? Australians come to England and play county cricket, and Poms come here and play in the grade system.

Doesn't mean those blokes get Shanghaied into the other country's national team.
I think the English system has put more into the development of Eoin Morgan, say, than any overseas player coming for a season or two. He's been involved with Middlesex since he was a teenager, and he was also part of the England Performance squad. The case of Morgan is a tricky one, for sure, but I think Irish cricket and English cricket have both played significant roles in his development.

Plus, the guy has said his aim since age 13 has been to play for England. One question is that if this ability to move was stopped, would he have played for Ireland at all?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF more than one Aussie who's played here as a "domestic" has found their way into the national side. We tried to call up Symonds after he had a great first season with Gloucs too.

Harris, Jaques and Steve Smith have all turned out for counties (or their second teams in Smith's case) as non-overseas players at various points too.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the English system has put more into the development of Eoin Morgan, say, than any overseas player coming for a season or two. He's been involved with Middlesex since he was a teenager, and he was also part of the England Performance squad. The case of Morgan is a tricky one, for sure, but I think Irish cricket and English cricket have both played significant roles in his development.

Plus, the guy has said his aim since age 13 has been to play for England. One question is that if this ability to move was stopped, would he have played for Ireland at all?
Well that just means he's a traitorous todger, imo.

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
Stirlings hundred v Pakistan shows that he can score big against good sides which had bowlers like Umar Gul ans Sajeed Ajmal playing. The reason Morgan was picked for England was because of his impressive form for Ireland so give Stirling time and England will be knocking on the door. Dockrell as well who has started to feature for Somerset recently.
Definitely got the talent, there's no denying that. Just gotta be more consistent. Was watching him in the Sky game the other day and was all :@:@ when he threw away another 40+ start.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
We need to teach Fiji, Samoa, Tonga etc. how to play cricket so we can start poaching, I mean, offer scholarships to, talented high school players.

Jacknife

International Captain
For now but the way ODI and 20/20 caps are handed out, I wouldn't be too sure. Dockrell has a pretty decent chance in limited overs cricket in the next couple of years, especially with Yardy gone while Stirling is now better than the likes of Michael Lumb. If both players don’t play for England then something would have gone wrong as they are top young cricketers. All they need is a decent showing in a Sky game.
I still think their are better guys around even in the future, if we take Dockrell for example, there's Briggs, Rashid and Borthwick who I'd have ahead of him.
Stirling averages 17 for Middlesex and 12 for Ireland in 20/20, so I don't know how he's better than Lumb in 20/20, even though Lumb's lost form since he got injured. Hales and a few other guys like Bairstow, Buttler, Stokes and Roy in 20/20 I'd have in front of him.
I don't understand why you say this, ' If both players don’t play for England then something would have gone wrong as they are top young cricketers', why would something of gone wrong, as long as there are better or at least similar quality English players to choose from they shouldn't get a look in.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I worry about this, in much the same way that I'd have worried about England selecting foreign players such as Ian Meckiff in the 60s, Muttiah Muralitharan in the 90s or Ruchira Perara in the Noughties

:ph34r: