• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Haddin just isn't an opener tbh, he for the sake of team balance is being made to bat at that position and still to his credit he has done quite decently while batting at that position, I don't think many people remember the fact that he was our highest run-scorer during the worldcup.

Still for me Haddin should be batting in the middle order for Australia, he has an excellent record for NSW while batting in there and frankly speaking I would have him in my middle order just for his batting alone that's how good I think he is.
He certainly spanked some of the more ordinary attacks the Aussies faced around before throwing his wicket away continually.

He's like Tharanga, plays and misses forever.

Plus, even by his poor footwork standards, the examples he's shown in this series are standouts. You need an eye like Trescothik or Sehwag to get away with such lead feet.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah but I was more concerned with the "6 wickets in hand" bit. I've seen 7-and-a-bit chases achieved fairly regularly on decent wickets... if wickets are in hand. From 3/50 I was pretty much ready to write us off.

Having said that though, I agree that it's ridiculous to blame Smith/Dussey for this loss, they came in with the game basically lost, but agendas are agendas. Once we were 3/50 and 4/120-ish, we were ****ed.
You are pretty conveniently ignoring the fact that Clarke and Mussey allowed the RRR to ballon to ridiculous proportions against some very ordinary bowling which they were facing at that time.

They just allowed likes of Dilshan, Jeevan Mendis, Kulasekara to bowl their overs at very good economy rates which just played into Sri Lanka's hands because there's very little chance of any batting line-up hitting out and achieving 8-10 rpo against likes of Malinga and Mendis that too in their own conditions.

Also being 3-50 is no excuse for throwing in the towel, Watto or Punter aren't always going set-up easy wins for the middle order and when they fail the middle order would have to step-up and raise their game and that's where Clarke in particular is frustrating because no matter what the situation of the match he doesn't change the tempo of his own game.

He could/should promote someone like Smith or Johnson to up the ante whenever we have a big chase on our hands or otherwise he should himself just come in and bat positively but there is not point in him consuming almost a quarter of total number of balls and then getting out without leaving any chance of us chasing the total down.

Anyways we made things hard for us now, expecting the wicket in Colombo to spin a lot more and under lights the ball also moves around like crazy so we would have perform really well there if we are to win the series.

Lostman

State Captain
Seems losing the toss is the way to go in this series.
And Chamara Silva is SL's designated lucky charm :sick:, he plays and SL still win (WC: QF, SF and yesterday)

Hope SL pick Randiv for the 4th ODI. I have no idea how Herath gets preference over him. Randiv is a better bowler, batsmen and fielder.

mono

U19 Debutant

howardj

International Coach
Being constructive, as an Aussie supporter, what do want to see different from the boys in the upcoming Test series? Sure, a series win would be great, but at a minimum I would like to see:

- A willingness to be patient with the bat. An Alistair Cook "I'm willing to bat six hours" mindset. It was appalling the way the boys failed to apply themselves and adapt to the conditions on Boxing Day last year for example- all they wanted to do was to play their shots. There was no patience or resolve, there was no "over my dead body" mindset.

- A willingness to be boring with the ball, and just bowl a tight line and length. One of the many great attributes of Warne and McGrath was that they never got bored or got tired of bowling their stock ball. They showed discipline, and didn't see the need to try something different every few balls.

- Patience from the captain, and a willingness to stick to a plan. I'd also like to see regulation fields, where the bowlers are encouraged to pitch the ball up, and bowl on the stumps. I love how England pitch the ball up, and ask them questions of the batsman (Anderson in particular).

- Showing that, for five days, the Test match is the most important thing in their lives. No nicking off straight after stumps, where everyone heads off in their own direction, no pesky WAGs, and definitely no attending functions on match morning.

Give me all that, and I'll be a happy Aussie.

howardj

International Coach
Also aim to get through our 90 overs on time. One of the real bug bears I have with our team is that they show no vitality in the field, no urgency to get through the overs.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Just win. I'll take that. I don't care if Clarke walks out of the ground at 6:15 with 10 supermodels (well maybe that would be bad!) if we win i'll be happy. Winning is good.

robelinda

I kinda wonder what would've happened if Clarke was a bit older and had taken over from Steve Waugh back in 2004, i wonder how he would've lead with a team of great players and then all of a sudden a team of less than great players.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Just win. I'll take that. I don't care if Clarke walks out of the ground at 6:15 with 10 supermodels (well maybe that would be bad!) if we win i'll be happy. Winning is good.
Yeah me too.

I'd like to see Punter and Clarke in the runs and just some decent consistent bowling

howardj

International Coach
not very expansive...

maybe I should have said, assuming we don't win, what improvements would you like to see....

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting still. The line up looks immeasurably better when Punter is scoring bucket loads and everything seems to click when he does well

pup11

International Coach
Being constructive, as an Aussie supporter, what do want to see different from the boys in the upcoming Test series? Sure, a series win would be great, but at a minimum I would like to see:

- A willingness to be patient with the bat. An Alistair Cook "I'm willing to bat six hours" mindset. It was appalling the way the boys failed to apply themselves and adapt to the conditions on Boxing Day last year for example- all they wanted to do was to play their shots. There was no patience or resolve, there was no "over my dead body" mindset.

- A willingness to be boring with the ball, and just bowl a tight line and length. One of the many great attributes of Warne and McGrath was that they never got bored or got tired of bowling their stock ball. They showed discipline, and didn't see the need to try something different every few balls.

- Patience from the captain, and a willingness to stick to a plan. I'd also like to see regulation fields, where the bowlers are encouraged to pitch the ball up, and bowl on the stumps. I love how England pitch the ball up, and ask them questions of the batsman (Anderson in particular).

- Showing that, for five days, the Test match is the most important thing in their lives. No nicking off straight after stumps, where everyone heads off in their own direction, no pesky WAGs, and definitely no attending functions on match morning.

Give me all that, and I'll be a happy Aussie.
Well I'm not sure about emulating Cook's approach because its never been Australian team's way to play like that also we don't even have a batsmen who could actually bat with that sort of patience. Whenever Australia has played good test cricket then we have normally scored our runs at a fair clip and hence provided our bowlers with ample runs and time to play with, likes of Hughes, Watto, Punter, Haddin, Mussey and Clarke are naturally fast scoring batsmen and they shouldn't crub their natural instincts, we batted poorly last summer because our shot selection was horrible and we paid the price for that.

howardj

International Coach
That's a very good point. We do have more shots than Cook and, because of that, if we show the same degree of application, the guys that you mentioned will no doubt score more quickly than he does. However, that's the thing - we need to firstly show the same resolve and the same application, particularly when the batting conditions are less than benign.

robelinda

Agree man, first thing i thought of too is Taylor and Katich, Bat all day, get 80*. Though Watson is capable, like he showed in India.

adub

International Captain
The thing about the graft is that it isn't required all the time. Even free scoring players should be able to trim their sails when conditions don't suit. Like they say - you can't score any if you're back in the shed. That's what we've been failing to do. See off good periods of bowling in order to make runs when conditions turn more in our favour. That was what guys like Steve Waugh and Border were masters at. Just hanging in and scrapping away to give themselves a chance. It seems on the face of it that this is the real influence of 20-20 and possibly the way guys like Gilchrist could counter attack. The idea that the best way out of tight spot is to try and blast your way out. Seeing off a good spell, or waiting for the pitch to come back to you just don't seem to have as much relevance to players these days. Blasting might work for a very small number of greats, but mostly playing straight and leaving as much as possible has proven the best method.

Also agree on the patience in the field. That's why I want to see Copeland playing test cricket. He has that 'this is what I bowl and you better get used to it cause it ain't gonna change' thing going that McGrath was the master of. All day long just hitting that line and length that gives you little to hit, allows a regulation field with slips, gully, point, cover and mid off, and bores the **** off the batsman until he plays at one he should leave.

That's why they play the game for 5 days. It's testing your mind most of all. Do you have the discipline to control your game or will you crack and do something silly to get yourself out or give the batsman a free hit. We've been cracking far too easily from 1 to 11. Great players who have shown the right stuff in the past, and younger players who haven't proven themselves were all cracking under the pressure the English applied last summer. Apart from Perth they saw off adversity much better than we did.

So yes like Howard I'd be happy if over summer we just saw signs of the team hardening the **** up. Batting tough for a session and then getting out soft and losing three quick wickets isn't good enough, bowling a good spell and coming back and bowling garbage isn't good enough. We have to show that we can eliminate most of our real crap, and if we have to sacrifice a bit of adventure to do it then so be it.