• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
i'll be pulling my hair out in
frustration thinking about Dougeh when Siddle run in and bowl his short and wide filth all day.

pup11

International Coach
Never fun to see Aus lose but last night' result was both predictable and frustrating, once both Watto and Punter got out cheaply there wasn't much chance left for us to claw our way back into the game.

Its funny that people are having a go at likes of Dussey and Smith when it was really Mussey and Clarke (in particular) who blew away the game in the middle overs, its just highly unfair to expect blokes like Dussey or Smith to come in and start scoring at 10 rpo against likes of Malinga and Mendis.

The Australian team has a lot of holes which tend to get hidden when the team's winning but during a challenging encounter all those issues get exposed, someone like David Hussey is an excellent LO player but it has been a pretty bleeding obvious fact that he is a poor starter yet we are making him bat at #6 where he just doesn't have a chance to play himself in, same with Smith he is talented lad but we see him as a big hitter which he clearly isn't, then we have got two openers who just haven't shown the ability to bat through and score big runs which is something very important in LO cricket.

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Mussey
Haddin
Ferguson/Christian
O'Keffe/Smith
Johnson
Lee
Dougeh
Pattinson
Lyon
Finch

On this tour such a squad would have provided us with a lot of balance and would have allowed us to cover most bases of our game, btw I'm big fan of Dussey and I don't really mind seeing him in the Australian side but if he isn't batting in the top 4 or 5 then he really isn't going to do himself or his team any favours, as for Smith he too won't be contributing much with the bat unless he is batting in the top 5, but still for now if more faith is shown in his bowling then he would be good enough to nail a place for himself in the side as the main spinner but unfortunately even under Clarke the spinners are getting much love.

pup11

International Coach
is it me or Haddin is really dire.
Haddin just isn't an opener tbh, he for the sake of team balance is being made to bat at that position and still to his credit he has done quite decently while batting at that position, I don't think many people remember the fact that he was our highest run-scorer during the worldcup.

Still for me Haddin should be batting in the middle order for Australia, he has an excellent record for NSW while batting in there and frankly speaking I would have him in my middle order just for his batting alone that's how good I think he is.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, I'd like to reserve judgement until the Tests start.

Despite our early departure from the World Cup, I don't think our ODI performances have been especially bad in the last two years.

It's the Test performances that have brought us into disrepute.

Spark

Global Moderator
Never fun to see Aus lose but last night' result was both predictable and frustrating, once both Watto and Punter got out cheaply there wasn't much chance left for us to claw our way back into the game.

Its funny that people are having a go at likes of Dussey and Smith when it was really Mussey and Clarke (in particular) who blew away the game in the middle overs, its just highly unfair to expect blokes like Dussey or Smith to come in and start scoring at 10 rpo against likes of Malinga and Mendis.
They weren't? The problem was wickets. 3/50 is not a situation you can be too risky in, unfortunately. When Clarke got out the RRR was about 7, which was OK. The problem was that he got out in a pretty daft manner.

Stapel

International Regular
&

They weren't? The problem was wickets. 3/50 is not a situation you can be too risky in, unfortunately. When Clarke got out the RRR was about 7, which was OK. The problem was that he got out in a pretty daft manner.
When clarke got out the RRR was 7,45. Needing 164 runs from 22 overs with 6 wickets in hand, your situation is most defenitely not OK.....

When Smith got in, the RRR was 8,27; 149 needed from 18 overs with 5 wikchets in hand. To be fair there wasn't too much to gain from there. I'm not saying Smith running himself out was anything near good (it was pretty daft), but his state of mind was about keeping the scoreboard ticking every single delivery, which was not the stupidest of ideas.

In other words, I'm with pup11 on this.

Spark

Global Moderator
&

When clarke got out the RRR was 7,45. Needing 164 runs from 22 overs with 6 wickets in hand, your situation is most defenitely not OK.....

When Smith got in, the RRR was 8,27; 149 needed from 18 overs with 5 wikchets in hand. To be fair there wasn't too much to gain from there. I'm not saying Smith running himself out was anything near good (it was pretty daft), but his state of mind was about keeping the scoreboard ticking every single delivery, which was not the stupidest of ideas.

In other words, I'm with pup11 on this.
Yeah but I was more concerned with the "6 wickets in hand" bit. I've seen 7-and-a-bit chases achieved fairly regularly on decent wickets... if wickets are in hand. From 3/50 I was pretty much ready to write us off.

Having said that though, I agree that it's ridiculous to blame Smith/Dussey for this loss, they came in with the game basically lost, but agendas are agendas. Once we were 3/50 and 4/120-ish, we were ****ed.

Last edited:

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure how anyone could blame Mussey for this loss. He top scored and also had the highest strike rate of the lot excluding perhaps Brett Lee. As long as he was in there they had some sort of hope. He's done his job by my reckoning.

Sri Lanka played very well on the night and deserved the win in the end I felt. Hope they keep it up and do well in the last two games.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I'd sooner put the blame on the bowling from the 10th to 20th than any of the batsmen