• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

pup11

International Coach
Seen a lot of Lankan spinners with bandages on their fingers, surely that shouldn't be allowed.

Spark

Global Moderator
ooh now that's a nice shot

edit: looks like a net for these two now tbh

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
not that it would have made any difference but why hasn't aj mendis come back?

and 50 for punter. good start, looked settled after early shakiness

Jayzamann

International Regular
not that it would have made any difference but why hasn't aj mendis come back?

and 50 for punter. good start, looked settled after early shakiness
The comms were suggesting that Dilshan was saving him for the tests or later in this ODI series. If there's any semblance of truth there, they have very little faith in Mendis once batsmen have 'figured' him out.

Spark

Global Moderator
One of his more serene 50s (and gee there's been a few)

:laugh: his annoyance at not putting some of the bad stuff away has been amusing tstl

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
And over. Good professional win. Captaincy good, bowling good - mostly - and a nice professional chase, Haddin aside. Happy.

pup11

International Coach
One of his more serene 50s (and gee there's been a few)

:laugh: his annoyance at not putting some of the bad stuff away has been amusing tstl
Sometimes I wonder whether Clarke plays with bats that were used in yesteryears, its just annoying to see the number to **** balls he just blocks or nurdles for 1's & 2's, like I have said in the past a batsman of his ability needs to show more confidence in himself.

Good win nonetheless but we shouldn't get complacent AFAIC the Sri Lankan team just didn't turn up today but that won't always be the case, apart from Johnson the bowling really wasn't that impressive and there is massive scoop for improvement.

Positives to come out of this game are obviously Clarke's attacking captaincy and the way we handled spin tonight, though its gotta be said that pitch played quite well right through the course of the whole game.

BlazeDragon

Banned
ffs the ball comes in. at a minmum put away the big drive unless it's right up

or that

---

A Watto classic currently. Clueless or six.
Watson is pretty much the perfect LO opener even if he does get out after 50+

If only his team mates could take advantage of that like Punter and Clarke did today they would have big scores on the board all the time in ODIs.

Lostman

State Captain
Well that was beat down by Australia.
Gad I went back to sleep when the score was 89/4.
From the few overs I saw was very impressed by Clarke's captaincy.

SL needs some minor tweaks in the batting order for the next game though. One of Sanga and Mahela need to man up and come at 5-6, without leaving 3 rookies at the end. Hopefully no major changes to the side itself, other than maybe a swap for Lakmal/Kulasekera

Johnson has had his performance of the tour, so it should be smooth sailing against him for the next 2 weeks at least.:unsure:

Spark

Global Moderator
Sometimes I wonder whether Clarke plays with bats that were used in yesteryears, its just annoying to see the number to **** balls he just blocks or nurdles for 1's & 2's, like I have said in the past a batsman of his ability needs to show more confidence in himself.
He's shown of late that he has extra gears, but when the RRR is two point something, no need to use them.

Yeah the pitch was placid though.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah he has been pretty good as an opener. I don't know why I still haven't been convinced that he should belong in an Aussie AT ODI XI. Still think Mark Waugh was better.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Considering his bowling as well, I reckon he really should be there now. Definitely, at least, in contention.

smash84

The Tiger King
but who is he competing against as an opener?

Gilchrist, Hayden, Mark Waugh,. I think I would rate all 3 of them better than Watto.

Would you rate him above these guys?