• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Ruckus

International Captain
ps fine with MJ in the team as long as Siddle's not there. He takes wickets. S/R of 53 is up there. But he's not an automatic choice and he's not the leader. He needs a good attack around him. Not Siddle/Hilf/Beer.
Yep, agree with all of this.

Generally agree with most of what your saying adub, but I think your extremely scathing attitude towards Johnson is largely unjustified.

They are outstanding, and I reckon guys with outstanding fc records should get a shot in front of guys with poor records at both fc and test level.
I don't know if you are including Johnson under that bracket, but if you are it is just simply wrong. He isn't the greatest bowler in the world, but by world standards atm, he is hardly bad either. 181 wickets @ 29.71 with an economy of 3.3 is a solid record.

I would love for some new players to be tried out, because I agree with you that many look quite promising, but at the same time it would be foolish to overthrow our entire bowling attack in order to make way for them. We need to be strive for somewhere between being too conservative and too reckless, and most of all we need to accept (and be patient in knowing) that we are not likely going to be amongst the top 1 or 2 test teams for some time yet.

Spark

Global Moderator
Is anyone else starting to become really annoyed with the practice of dragging people around short LO tours and not playing them?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Greigy randomly reading off the list for fastest 50's in T20 three balls into the match made me lost it.

pup11

International Coach
Consistent success at Test level will come from your quicks bowling consistently as a pack though.
So true, in our bowling attack Johnson is the king and the rest are slaves who are suppossed to clean up the mess he creates.

The problem is we as a team seem to have just embraced mediocrity when it comes to picking or backing players, we are more than happy to keep presisting with likes of North and Johnson despite knowing that they won't perform most of the time but that is something that gets overlooked because on their day they can perform quite well.

What we need are players who might not necceasirly be world-beaters but atleast be consistent performers so as a captain you would know what exactly you are going to get from each member of your squad, that obviously makes it a lot easier to plan and execute things out on the field and hence bring a level of consistentcy to your performances as a team.

adub

International Captain
Ankle injury
and everyone knows ankle injuries come from being unfit.

He's winning you more Tests than any of your other quicks though.
When he constantly gets picked no matter how bad he goes he's bound to get some credit when we do jag a win. So tell me what tests has he won for us. WACA sure. Happy to give him a big hug for that. I won't even mention the fact that the massive inswing he was getting seemed to have nothing to do with his actual bowling judging by the scrambled seam he had, or Harris also getting 9-fer, or Hussey's runs. He was certainly the star.

So any others? Maybe the game against NZ when he got 10-fer in Hamilton last year, his 9-fer against NZ at Brisbane in 08, his 6-fer at Leeds (but he has to share that one around as Siddle also got 6, and Hilf 5), his 8 against the Saffas in Jo'berg was decisive but a fair while ago now, his 6 against Pakistan in Melbourne (but again shared around with Haurie getting 6 and Doug 5)

A big hand in a solo win in a series lost 3-1 (and no small part in England making huge scores in Melbourne and Sydney thanks to his leaking runs at >4.6rpo), A great effort against SA a long time ago now, an honorable mention in our only Ashes win in 09 (and some very dishonourable mentions in that series, especially at Lords where he went for 6rpo) and some wins against the minnows. It's hardly going to lift us back up the rankings. Like I said - he's better than Hilfenhaus and Siddle so we have to keep him until he decides to retire?

Spark

Global Moderator
Until someone proves themselves to be better at taking wickets.

This debate is a lot more interesting than watching us getting carted again, btw. Although Mahela is batting like a dream.

pup11

International Coach
I know its a cool thing to make a spinner share the new-ball in a T20 game but for the love of god the game is being played in Sri Lanka where the new white ball swings and in the middle overs it spins once, so attacking with you quick bowlers while the ball is new and then bowling your spinners through the middle overs should be the pretty obvious thing to do...