• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah when T20 first started the Aussies were really good at it. When we had those brilliant ODI players like Symonds, Gilly, old school Punter and Martyn and Bracken. We don't have players of that quality anymore.

Or with that sort of bottle.
You mean the team that didn't even make it past the group stages of the WC?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
'some interesting insight there by Justin Langer'

this did not happen at all Tom

pup11

International Coach
Fair enough.

Man Warner gets a bit lucky at times, still by far our best batsman today obv.
I love people who back their natural talent and take the attack to the opposition, that was pretty much the hallmark of Australian cricket which wasn't a trait that was highly encouraged in Ponting's reign as captain. That's why its refreshing to see people like Warner playing the way he plays, he has been in terrific form off late and if he keeps this up in days to come then as I said before it won't surprise me if he become a vital part of Australian side in other formats as well.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
1. why is smith batting ahead of haddin?
2. why is smith playing?
3. why didn't keefe bowl out?
4. WHY THE **** WHITE IS CAPTAINING AHEAD OF WATSON???
1. Because Brad Haddin is a woeful T20 batsman
2. Because Smith is Australia's best T20 spinner
3. Ask Cam White
4. Because White actually has some captaincy pedigree.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1. why is smith batting ahead of haddin?
2. why is smith playing?
3. why didn't keefe bowl out?
4. WHY THE **** WHITE IS CAPTAINING AHEAD OF WATSON???
1. Haddin is quite ordinary in T20, but why is he playing when we have 2 young promising keepers in Wade and Paine is the question I'm more interested in.

2. He's a brilliant batsman who can chip in with handy wickets and is sensational in the field (I'm not sold on the first 2 points) but I'm not totally against Smith playing in this format.

3. Poor decision, no excuses really. Not sure he could have contained Dilshan towards the end anyway, brilliant knock.

4. Probably due to the fact that White has captained Victoria to many titles throughout his career and he has a good T20 record, even though he's looked out of form recently.

OR what Furball said..

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1. Because Brad Haddin is a woeful T20 batsman
2. Because Smith is Australia's best T20 spinner
3. Ask Cam White
4. Because White actually has some captaincy pedigree.
1. True, but still better than Smith
2. True, but he doesn't play that role currently. And he's terrible at his current role and should be dropped
3. -
4. On the other hand, Watson is the test and OD vice-captain. Given the captain in those two formats does not play here it makes sense for Watson to be captain here.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
For such a good athlete, Mathews really does drop too many easy catches. Seen him do that at least three times in the past.

Spark

Global Moderator
No the incarnation before that who I think played in the first World Champs.

Warner was already in the team you are referring to and Johnson.
Nah that's the team I'm talking about. Didn't make it past the groups, Clarke's side was the first from Aus to do that.

EDIT: Actually they might have made the semis. Lost to zimbabwe though.

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
1. Haddin is quite ordinary in T20, but why is he playing when we have 2 young promising keepers in Wade and Paine is the question I'm more interested in.

2. He's a brilliant batsman who can chip in with handy wickets and is sensational in the field (I'm not sold on the first 2 points) but I'm not totally against Smith playing in this format.

3. Poor decision, no excuses really. Not sure he could have contained Dilshan towards the end anyway, brilliant knock.

4. Probably due to the fact that White has captained Victoria to many titles throughout his career and he has a good T20 record, even though he's looked out of form recently.

OR what Furball said..
Hmm... @ Gingerfurball and NUFAN,

not sure about pedigree being a consideration when you practically grooming Watto to take up captaincy sometime... I know T20 is a **** format to be played internationally but if you're grooming someone to be future captain, give him a go in the format that carries least risk... like T20...

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Nah that's the team I'm talking about. Didn't make it past the groups, Clarke's side was the first from Aus to do that.

EDIT: Actually they might have made the semis. Lost to zimbabwe though.
No, 2007 it was in SA (the reason I remember it is that Zim had a memorable win over the Aussies in the group stages) the Aussies got into the semi-finals. In 2009, they lost out in the group stages.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hmm... @ Gingerfurball and NUFAN,

not sure about pedigree being a consideration when you practically grooming Watto to take up captaincy sometime... I know T20 is a **** format to be played internationally but if you're grooming someone to be future captain, give him a go in the format that carries least risk... like T20...
It's a no win situation when the team loses a match.

Some people want a specialized T20 team. Others want the Test vice captain to be captain of the T20 team like what Michael Clarke did.

It's just one game. Keep White as captain because he's the best option at this point in time*, provided he's good enough to keep his place in the team as a batsman.