• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not sold on Smith as of yet, but it does seem rather strange after so much time has been invested in him that he's missing out on a tour where he's likely to find conditions conducive to his bowling.

Lyon does seem a massive Hail Mary. 12 wickets in 4 FC games @ over 40 each? All I can say is he musta looked bloody good whilst achieving those less than stellar numbers.

Be giving out Baggy Greens in Xmas crackers next.
Nathan Lyon gunned it in Zimbabwe and the Big Bash. I would've probably given him a Shield season to settle in, and I think Beer/Lyon is too raw, but there was some logic there, tbh.

howardj

International Coach
Moreover, if they wanted a steady left armer, they should have taken O'Keefe who at least has a credible FC record. Anyway, Shane Warne ought be careful the next time he recommends a spinner to play for Australia.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Picking players for tests based on limited overs form? Worked out grand with Doherty, so solid thinking from Hilditch et al.

howardj

International Coach
Exactly, you need to know that your Test spinner can bowl solid long spells.

O'Keefe is the only greenhorn, leather twirler with credible FC numbers.

Top_Cat

Lyon does seem a massive Hail Mary. 12 wickets in 4 FC games @ over 40 each? All I can say is he musta looked bloody good whilst achieving those less than stellar numbers.
Not a big turner in the Swann mould but I think he's rated as a 'smart bowler' one of those guys who, the higher you play him, the better he'll bowl, reminiscent of Gav Robertson. Will be interesting to see how he goes playing more cricket where batters don't have to go after him from ball 1, reckon his plans revolve around that at the moment. No bad thing if you give it as much air as he does, though.

Some footage. Love how they got both his bowling type wrong and didn't know how old he was in his first game for SA.

EDIT: That said, would have gone for O'Keefe in the Test squad, myself.

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
I love adub. He's pretty much all my opinions six months ago before I eventually gave up and mellowed. Keep up the good fight.
I'll mellow when Hilditch, Chappell and Sutherland's heads are displayed on pikes outside of each test ground.

Top_Cat

Just checked the CW database and there's no user called adub. Who are you talking to?

Did find the following pic under PEWS, though.

howardj

International Coach
Adub does go in hard, and mirrors my views on Marsh 18 months ago.

Knowledgeable poster though.

adub

International Captain
I accept Marsh has his fans, I just don't think he has performed anywhere near long enough to be considered 'deserving'. He's fortunate (as I contend was Watson), but if he makes a good fist of it then great, I'll acknowledge that and support him. I just believe Cosgrove is far more deserving of the chance, but we all know why that won't happen, and it's got nothing to do with his weight of runs.

That said I don't consider having Cosgrove, Marsh or Ferguson (or whoever) being our next best to be anything more than depressing. None of them are inspiring 'hey we can build a team around this guy' selections. There just aren't any really top notch middle order bats around. NSW at full strength are currently trying to fit 7 quality top 3 batsmen (Watson, Katich, Hughes, Warner, Jaques, Maddinson, Khawaja) and Clarke and Smith into a side, but no one else has much going for them at all (under 32 anyway).

I'm hoping Lynn really blossoms this summer so we can have a young middle order batsman putting pressure on the test side. Otherwise we may need to look for Maddinson and he's probably three years away from test ready at least. The cupboard is pretty bare at the moment.

I'll never not go in hard on Hilditch though. Everything he touches in Australian Cricket turns to crap. He's a buffoon and every time he opens his mouth to hail the faith the selectors have in the next spinner they have decided to burn just proves it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I agree with adub that Marsh doesn't really 'deserve' a place; there are players with much better credentials who have been ignored. However, I wouldn't go as far as to say he was completely "undeserving" either because he's at least performed well lately (over a short period) and they've made far worse picks in their time. I think it's a good example of my mellowing actually; I stopped expecting good selections ages ago so when someone like Shaun Marsh, who I wouldn't pick but can see the argument for, gets picked, I just accept it and thank the lord that they didn't pick Mitchell Marsh instead or do something equally as ridiculous.

I don't agree with his selection but it's not a shocker.

Top_Cat

Anyone who's watched Marsh can see he has talent to burn, have thought so for a while (disregard any spelling errors/errant capitalisations and careful with that post, it's an antique, etc.). Seems to rest on his laurels a bit after a big score, though. Even last year, great ton in Hobart, nothing else afterwards.

Inhuman calm about him, though. Ridiculously good timing aside, that's the biggest plus for mine.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I accept Marsh has his fans, I just don't think he has performed anywhere near long enough to be considered 'deserving'. He's fortunate (as I contend was Watson), but if he makes a good fist of it then great, I'll acknowledge that and support him. I just believe Cosgrove is far more deserving of the chance, but we all know why that won't happen, and it's got nothing to do with his weight of runs.

That said I don't consider having Cosgrove, Marsh or Ferguson (or whoever) being our next best to be anything more than depressing. None of them are inspiring 'hey we can build a team around this guy' selections. There just aren't any really top notch middle order bats around. NSW at full strength are currently trying to fit 7 quality top 3 batsmen (Watson, Katich, Hughes, Warner, Jaques, Maddinson, Khawaja) and Clarke and Smith into a side, but no one else has much going for them at all (under 32 anyway).

I'm hoping Lynn really blossoms this summer so we can have a young middle order batsman putting pressure on the test side. Otherwise we may need to look for Maddinson and he's probably three years away from test ready at least. The cupboard is pretty bare at the moment.

I'll never not go in hard on Hilditch though. Everything he touches in Australian Cricket turns to crap. He's a buffoon and every time he opens his mouth to hail the faith the selectors have in the next spinner they have decided to burn just proves it.
Already picking up the lingo too!

I like this guy.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Cosgrove has been told time and time again what he has to do to earn a spot in the test team. It is his own fault that he's not been selected.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not a big turner in the Swann mould but I think he's rated as a 'smart bowler' one of those guys who, the higher you play him, the better he'll bowl, reminiscent of Gav Robertson. Will be interesting to see how he goes playing more cricket where batters don't have to go after him from ball 1, reckon his plans revolve around that at the moment. No bad thing if you give it as much air as he does, though.

Some footage. Love how they got both his bowling type wrong and didn't know how old he was in his first game for SA.

EDIT: That said, would have gone for O'Keefe in the Test squad, myself.
Does seem to give the cherry a nice lot of air, which is ballsy for a tyro offie in T20. Hate to say it, but his action is a dead ringer for Richard Dawson's too; just hope his career doesn't follow a similar trajectory.

Did Lumb up like a kipper there anyway.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Was the first person on CW to praise Lyon, but I can't claim him when his cousin posts on here!

Thanks howardj for the Test times. Looking forward to the series, up until Beer plays instead of Lyon, Copeland doesn't debut, etc etc etc

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Was the first person on CW to praise Lyon, but I can't claim him when his cousin posts on here!
Pretty sure Julian actually had praised him a couple of times on here before you'd ever seen him bowl tbh. :p

He's always someone I've kept an eye out for because I know Julian, but I never actually expected him to be good until I saw him bowl. Genuinely talented bowler. I'd certainly pick him ahead of Beer - if we're going to pick spinners based on absolutely no performance so far then we might as well pick the one that at least looks decent.

Spark

Global Moderator
Sometimes I think #5 would be a better spot for him.
Quite reasonable, as his Test record at #5 is stellar - in fact, one of the best ever for anyone with a decent amount of Tests there. He is, however, been consistently groomed and developed with an eye to the #4 spot. He bats #4 for NSW (when he can) and in the few FC matches he's played in recent years, has basically scored runs for fun there. There is no real reason I can think of that he should have such a disparity between his Test record at #4 and #5. I'd put it down to sheer bad luck and an anomaly, happening to play there in periods of bad form. But it's happened twice now at very different stages of his career, and there should be no reason for it.