• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I mean, on a technical basis, watching their bowling, there shouldn't be anything to differentiate them in quality for those reasons. But then you actually look at what they've done, and Johnson's been taking wickets with seemingly harmless or even **** balls so often for so long that you can't simply dismiss it as fluke.
I'd take a guess at Johnson's inconsistent action working in his favour. Batsmen can never quite settle a strategy or rhythm for facing him, as his bowling has an inherently random quality. Siddle, on the other hand, has a very consistent and well-grooved action, and a fairly predictable approach.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm really happy with the squad apart from the spinners.

The issue with not picking O'Keefe who would be an excellent Test number 8 is that Johnson pretty much has to play.

Ideally I would love an attack of Siddle, Harris, Copeland and O'Keefe. Now I expect to see Johnson, Siddle, Harris and Beer.

What I would like to know is why Nathan Lyon didn't play in any of the first class matches in Zimbabwe? You would think that would have been a perfect time to give him a chance.

Really happy to see Marsh, Khawaja and Copeland gain selection and just as happy to not see Hilfenhaus and Smith.

pup11

International Coach
What in his recent FC record is showing you that? That he's gone from averaging 20-30 to 50-60?
He scored a brilliant century in a crisis situation against England in the ODI series prior to the worldcup, but after that he just kept getting owned by the English bowlers match after match.

My biggest issue with Marsh is his technique its one of the main reasons I remain skeptical about his chances, his front-foot barely moves towards the pitch of the ball and he has this habit of playing across the line as well, can't help but think at the test level its only going to be a matter of time before these weaknesses get exposed.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He scored a brilliant century in a crisis situation against England in the ODI series prior to the worldcup, but after that he just kept getting owned by the English bowlers match after match.

My biggest issue with Marsh is his technique its one of the main reasons I remain skeptical about his chances, his front-foot barely moves towards the pitch of the ball and he has this habit of playing across the line as well, can't help but think at the test level its only going to be a matter of time before these weaknesses get exposed.
But hold on - Aren't you rudiger the guy who thinks Steve Smith should be in our top 6?

pup11

International Coach
I thought Test cricket was about taking wickets myself.

Here we have a choice of two bowlers, neither of which are very good at creating pressure, neither of which are very consistent. One takes wickets much more often than the other. Which one do you go for? Hmmm...
What good are wickets when you allow oppositions to score big runs, I mean 2009 Ashes is considered to be Johnson's worst test series till date but he still picked 20 wkts in that series at an average of 30 something which is kind of similar to his overall career record.

The wickets he takes might hide a lot of his shortcomings but AFAIC there are far too many periods in a game where he just looks clueless with his bowling which has really hurt Australia time and again.

pup11

International Coach
But hold on - Aren't you rudiger the guy who thinks Steve Smith should be in our top 6?
I have never said that, infact I have always said that he had been pushed into test cricket a bit too early, if Smith were to play in the test side at the present time then it should only be as the second spinner batting at #8.

EDIT: If you are talking about his technique then not much is wrong with that tbh except the fact that his technique might not be the most aesthetically pleasing, but still he plays with a straight bat in front of the wicket at most times and the only thing he now needs to do is to learn to build an innings.

Last edited:

Sylvester

State Captain
Someone needs to tell Siddle to watch Broad, he pitched it up and took a bunch of wickets against India. Heck he just needs to watch his 6 wicket spell against the English, no idea why he keeps dropping it short. Him and Johnson shouldn't be in the same team together but it seems they will be so all we can do is hope both of them perform like they did in SA.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain

I don't agree with this. His footwork is fine, but what I have seen of him in one dayers, is that his feet are moving well, he's looking solid, then all of a sudden he has this brain storm where he just stops moving his feet for an over or so and plays daft wafts. I've watched it time and time again and that is why I think his biggest problem is concentration issues which makes me doubt his potential as a test player.

With the one dayers after the Ashes, the English bowlers came around the wicket at him and that left him a bit lost as well.. Like most players he's got weaknesses to be exploited but if he is switched on, he can get away with it.

Both he and Callum Ferguson play a lot of aerial shots, lofted drives and the like. That's probably why both of them are more suited to short formats.

Julian87

State Captain
So I was on the golf course with a mate and I get a call from mun - ignore, brother - ignore...get home...Nathan's in the test squad.

Oh **** yeah.

pup11

International Coach
I don't agree with this. His footwork is fine, but what I have seen of him in one dayers, is that his feet are moving well, he's looking solid, then all of a sudden he has this brain storm where he just stops moving his feet for an over or so and plays daft wafts. I've watched it time and time again and that is why I think his biggest problem is concentration issues which makes me doubt his potential as a test player.

With the one dayers after the Ashes, the English bowlers came around the wicket at him and that left him a bit lost as well.. Like most players he's got weaknesses to be exploited but if he is switched on, he can get away with it.

Both he and Callum Ferguson play a lot of aerial shots, lofted drives and the like. That's probably why both of them are more suited to short formats.
He is predominately a back-foot player and that why he plays the pull and cut shot so well, for me he just doesn't move his front-foot enough to cover the line of the ball and that's why he plays those wafts and dafts away from his body resulting in a soft dismissal.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
He is predominately a back-foot player and that why he plays the pull and cut shot so well, for me he just doesn't move his front-foot enough to cover the line of the ball and that's why he plays those wafts and dafts away from his body resulting in a soft dismissal.
Look I'm not sure that we are talking about the same player. He actually plays straighter than just about anyone in the Aus team though and drives beautifully. He has a lot of shots front and back foot and is lovely to watch, I think his problem is concentration (and a lack of mongrel in his makeup) that's why he has so few tons while having had a very good average in the past few years in first class cricket. We already have too many players who can't go on with it in the Aus team and I'm worried that he'll just add to the problem. At best I think he's a short term solution till one of the other youngsters holds up their hand substantially at first class level.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
:laugh: This just screams "I've only seen him play 20/20!".

If you've watched him in the Shield at all, you'd know his front foot play and driving is exquisite, he just has a concentration issue, which is getting better as his career goes on imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
Someone needs to tell Siddle to watch Broad, he pitched it up and took a bunch of wickets against India. Heck he just needs to watch his 6 wicket spell against the English, no idea why he keeps dropping it short. Him and Johnson shouldn't be in the same team together but it seems they will be so all we can do is hope both of them perform like they did in SA.
TBF I'd tell anyone to watch Broad's bowling in the Test. Damn near flawless display of fast bowling. Harped on about it quite a bit now though.

Julian87

State Captain
Going on the weird squads in Zimbabwe and quotes in the past Lyon must have almost been a shoe-in if he'd bowled ok in his Zimbo one day stuff.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm pretty sure that the least experienced batsman who plays in Galle will bat at 6, but I hope he bats at 4.

Having a left hander sandwiched between the experienced Ponting and Clarke to me seems like the smart move to make, especially as we all know Hussey is the sort of batsman who can bat with Haddin and the tail. To add to this, Clarke has done massively better at 5 compared with 4 and Marsh and Khawaja have routinely batted in the top 4 for their respective states.

1 Watson 2 Hughes 3 Ponting 4 Khawaja/Marsh 5 Clarke 6 Hussey 7 Haddin 8 Johnson.
R,L,R,L,R,L,R,L

iamdavid

International Debutant
Look I'm not sure that we are talking about the same player. He actually plays straighter than just about anyone in the Aus team though and drives beautifully. He has a lot of shots front and back foot and is lovely to watch, I think his problem is concentration (and a lack of mongrel in his makeup) that's why he has so few tons while having had a very good average in the past few years in first class cricket. We already have too many players who can't go on with it in the Aus team and I'm worried that he'll just add to the problem. At best I think he's a short term solution till one of the other youngsters holds up their hand substantially at first class level.
Exactly.

His technique isn't perfect, but it's miles better than Hughes', Smith's, Ferguson's, etc. If he doesn't succeed at test level it'll be because of his mental failings.

It's been an issue his whole career, I recall hearing Greg Blewett in commentary say how Marsh is the sort of player who'll look a million bucks, and then out of nowhere he'll have a brain-fade and you'll pick him up.

He does appear to have remedied it to an extent over the past few years. Although...I hate to be a sceptic, but his improvement has coincided with a sharp decline in the quality of bowling he's coming up against in the shield.

Andre

International Regular
I'm pretty sure that the least experienced batsman who plays in Galle will bat at 6, but I hope he bats at 4.

Having a left hander sandwiched between the experienced Ponting and Clarke to me seems like the smart move to make, especially as we all know Hussey is the sort of batsman who can bat with Haddin and the tail. To add to this, Clarke has done massively better at 5 compared with 4 and Marsh and Khawaja have routinely batted in the top 4 for their respective states.

1 Watson 2 Hughes 3 Ponting 4 Khawaja/Marsh 5 Clarke 6 Hussey 7 Haddin 8 Johnson.
R,L,R,L,R,L,R,L
Clarke is the big boy now - absolutely has to step up at No. 4.

Andre

International Regular
Exactly.

His technique isn't perfect, but it's miles better than Hughes', Smith's, Ferguson's, etc. If he doesn't succeed at test level it'll be because of his mental failings.

It's been an issue his whole career, I recall hearing Greg Blewett in commentary say how Marsh is the sort of player who'll look a million bucks, and then out of nowhere he'll have a brain-fade and you'll pick him up.
This.

Word on the street is that poor old Shaun, well, just isn't that bright, so takes him a while to learn from his mistakes. But he's making progress.

Wouldn't suprise me if he averaged 45+ in Test cricket.