• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why can't India produce great fast bowlers like Pakistan?

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
woah......kid.....I didn't know you were taking offence at every comment :p
You could have changed this boastful sentence in to an apologizing one but I can not expect better.
I would leave the rest to the CW members to decide.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
You could have changed this boastful sentence in to an apologizing one but I can not expect better.
I would leave the rest to the CW members to decide.
zman,
smalishah is an excellent poster. and fair. really. stick around and u will certainly see that for yourself.

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
zman,
smalishah is an excellent poster. and fair. really. stick around and u will certainly see that for yourself.
Perhaps his cricketing knowledge may excel mine but one should be more lenient towards new users.

salman85

International Debutant
Smalishah has been going through a tough time.I've told her to take it easy but she just doesn't listen.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Smalishah has been going through a tough time.I've told her to take it easy but she just doesn't listen.
You're to blame too, you know? She was looking forward to the draft, and your absence forced her to pick from an average scorecard.

smash84

The Tiger King
Didn't Imran win a court battle against Botham and Lamb over ball tampering allegations?Or was it something else?
yes

Smalishah you evil bully you.

Look what you've done with your "disagreeing".

Shocking.
:laugh:

zman,
I apologise on behalf of him z man. smileybhai is a fantastic poster.
haha......thanks for the support guys

You're to blame too, you know? She was looking forward to the draft, and your absence forced her to pick from an average scorecard.
yeah Salman because of you I had to pick from an average scorecard. I hate you for this :@

You're a very bad man smalishah!!! :D
Indeed :cool:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
This is a subject very close to my heart. As a guy who was involved heavily in the club, U-17 and U-19 levels in India, I believe that I have a reasonable understanding of the subject. This is going to be a bit of a rant (under some influence), so read further at your own peril. :ph34r:

Fast bowling, as an art, is poorly understood in India, IMHO. Dennis Lillee sums it up aptly when he says that "medium-pacers who bowl a good line and length and get their five wickets" are preferred over quick bowlers with potential.

Goughy (a CW poster that I highly respect) and other experts would tell you that for bowling genuinely quick the basic ingredients have to be there. A reasonable atheletic coordination, a fair ratio of fast twitch: slow twitch fibre muscles and an ability to go through the pain barrier better than the average athelete on the street. I was fortunate in that I inherited good genes and coming from a background of atheletics and martial arts, I was failry athleletic as a teenager (then).

I am posting under the influence of half a litre Jack Daniel's here, so I'd let myself go a bit! :laugh: As a guy who moved from a background of mountaneering and long-distance running to cricket at 15 years of age, I believed I had the basic raw material to make a reasonable fast bowler. I was from the Himalayan region of Garhwal (in northern India) and honed my modest cricketing skills in the western Indian town of Vadodara.

It was a bit tough managing my education in the science stream (and later engineering) with cricket, but I made some progress. Anyone who has studied in India would know that it's not the easiest job in the world to strike this balance. I was an out-and-out quick since the time I was 15, but the uneasy perception I always had was that a more "conventional" medium-pacer would be preferred over me. The fact that I was a pahari playing club cricket in the province of Gujarat didn't exactly help my case either.

Bowling quick in India is more of a psychological challenge than a physical one, IMHO. There were coaches and Ranji-players who told me that I had no future even before I bowled my first ball in the match. My cardinal sin was that I focussed in being a genuinely fast, strike bowler rather than one who could jam it in good areas to contain the batsmen. As a strong-headed, rebellious teenager, I wasn't one that would fit into the the mould easily, so to speak. I was quick and I could swing them (chiefly away) to give the batsmen a workover, but I never learnt the art of bowling to contain. Every ball was delivered with the sole purpose of getting them out. Regardless of the match condition.

I had a rather good couple of years in the club scene in Baroda, but I wasn't comfortable with the way they (the establishment) viewed me. Even though I got wickets and managed to move into the U-17 (and later U-19) squad, I had the uneasy feeling that they were trying to mould me into something that I wasn't meant to be. A line-and-length medium pacer who could give a decent return in the 30-over matches. My 7-0-35-3 sort of figures weren't exactly favoured by the men in charge.

Besides, there was always a discouragement at bowling quick at "established" batsmen. They'd kill your aggressive streak even before you're old enough to realise that you possess one. There was an occasion where my mate and I bowled a series of sharp, short-pitched stuff at a Baroda Ranji player (the man averaged 45 in f/c cricket) and we were taken off because the batsman wasn't getting to "practise his shots" in the way that he should.

It dawned on me gradually that being a medium-pacer in the Baroda club scene basically meant being a "bitch" for the batsmen (excuse the language) and that's something I never took kindly to. I managed to make a career out of my other love - engineering - but sometimes, I can't help get a feeling that with a little perseverence I could have done ok in cricket. Ah, well! Life's an expereince and you live on to learn and grow with each day. :)

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Interesting stuff, outswinger. Especially about discouraging pace. And when populist national selections end up favouring quick bowlers over accurate bowlers, that suggests real pace is neither being properly fostered nor being worked around.

So let me get this straight, Smalishah is female?
Amusing choice of words.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are Sri Lankans a heavy drinking nation, out of interest?
Depends who you're comparing them to. GENACIS data suggests SL have lifetime abstainers at about 83%. Compare that with Australia, fairly stable at 16%. Heavy episodic drinking is vastly different too; about 2% of Sri Lankans knock down 5 or more in one hit at least once a month compared to 28% of Aussies.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Depends who you're comparing them to. GENACIS data suggests SL have lifetime abstainers at about 83%. Compare that with Australia, fairly stable at 16%. Heavy episodic drinking is vastly different too; about 2% of Sri Lankans knock down 5 or more in one hit at least once a month compared to 28% of Aussies.
Soft

:ph34r: