• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are England The Real Deal?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This thread has basically become people that have watched a lot of England lately saying they're good and people who have looked at their statistical record over the past few years saying they're not so good.
or more like you and me discussing Brian Lara... :p

Kiddin mate.. :) England are pretty awesome, I agree.. And gotta say the last Ashes was just amazing even from a stats PoV.. Big runs from England and very pathetic efforts from Australia in 3 of the tests.. It was amazing how one team could score 500 plus so very easily and the other kept strugglin to put together 200...

Borges

International Regular
Yeah, England are pretty awesome at the moment. But South Africa - despite continuing to be the perennial underachievers that they have been - are the real Mc Coy.

Howe_zat

Audio File
lol..Sehwag and Cook would make quite an opening pair, won't they? :)
120/1 at lunch, Sehwag 88, Cook 32*.

Yeah, England are pretty awesome at the moment. But South Africa - despite continuing to be the perennial underachievers that they have been - are the real Mc Coy.
South Africa haven't really lived up to what they're capable of since 2008 though, and you have to say the top side is the one that is achieving.

Albion

Cricket Spectator
Interesting read.

Couple of things. Firstly, England are a good side with a decent attack which includes a quality spinner and also we bat deep which allows us to fight back should we have an off day. Can we be number 1 in the world? Yes, of course. Will that make us ATG? Of course not. No side is as far ahead of the rest as Australia have been the last 15 years.

Secondly, what's this rubbish about England must win in the subcontinet to be number 1? Do people question Indias right to be number 1 when you wont even have to use one finger to count how many series they have won in Aus or SA in their history.

So, yes England are the real deal (as in a very good test side) and yes we could reach number one in the rankings. And yes, we could do it without any ATG's in the side.

On the matter of the India home series, it's ironic that it was England who failed to cope with the swing at Trent Bridge on their last tour here. We had dominated the first test and should have won given Monty had a plumb lbw given not out with India 9 down (no DRS then heh!). We then rocked up at Trent Bridge and lost the series in one session in tricky conditions. India will still have Zaheer - I don't think we should underestimate the fact indias seamers could thrive in seaming/swinging conditions.

It's actually Bizarre that the last 2 tests India have won in England (Leeds 02 & Trent Bridge 06) have been in conditions you would think Ideal for the home side and totally alien to India.

Bun

Banned
Tour game (singular). Sri Lanka's series prep is much more comprehensive.
hopefully we get rid of our customary first game defeat with that prep game. seriously I want bcci to send their elite guys over to england a week or two earlier and atleast play themselves into sync with the conditions. They all have thier good jolly vacation (paid and unpaid) and now they should be up and running for what's the toughest overseas tour they have had to deal in.. err... 5 months??

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People are saying England need to win on the subcontinent to take the next step from "No. 1 side" to great side. They will be recognized No. 1 in most people's eyes if they beat India this summer.

And yes, there have been plenty of complaints and questions about India's No. 1 status on here... :p

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
It's actually Bizarre that the last 2 tests India have won in England (Leeds 02 & Trent Bridge 06) have been in conditions you would think Ideal for the home side and totally alien to India.
Yeah, but this is a much better English bowling attack. Jimmy is possibly at his peak (unfortunately for you, so is Zaheer :)) and Tremmers and Broad can use good conditions better than their Indian counterparts. Swann is one distinctive advantage, but I have a feeling that Mishra (should he play) would be the surprise package.

IMHO, the Anderson v/s Zaheer battle would determine the series. Whichever champion swing bowler outperforms the other, would lead his side to glory.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
People are saying England need to win on the subcontinent to take the next step from "No. 1 side" to great side. They will be recognized No. 1 in most people's eyes if they beat India this summer.

And yes, there have been plenty of complaints and questions about India's No. 1 status on here... :p
I don't think you've quite said what you meant to say in your first paragraph :p

akilana

International 12th Man
South Africa haven't really lived up to what they're capable of since 2008 though, and you have to say the top side is the one that is achieving.
I don't know what they're capable with some of the passengers they carry in the team. I think it's pretty amazing that they have been unbeaten away from home for 4 or 5 years( correct me if I'm wrong) with only one good bowler. The only time they lost a series in the same period was to MJ-inspired Australia. They even beat WI last time.

For me, there's only a two way battle for the no 1 spot at the moment with SA and India battling out. I won't bracket England with them till they improve their away record but England are a good team and they have no reason not to.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
When was the last time England were no.1 in tests?
Officially, I think it was in 1979. They'd beaten Aus home and away (albeit against their 2nd/3rd XI) and had drawn their last series in the WI. Of course we all knew that WI were the best in the world at that time, and I don't think the league table was in existence anyway. Their position was just one of those anomalies that showed up when the league table was back-dated.

As has already been suggested they were probably number 1 after winning in Aus in 1971. But I think India took over for a while after winning in England in 1971 and the WI around the same time. Again, everyone would have known that SA were actually the best side in the world.

The last time they were unquestionably the best test side in the world was around 1955-1958.