• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Offseason 2011

Jayzamann

International Regular
I just came here to post this, but there's been interesting convo going in the past two pages, need to give it a further read.

But, who do CA think they are?

Australian news: Big Bash could feature 'super over' | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

If anything, dicking around with the last List A season should mean they keep their grubby hands away from shaking the cage. It's nearly as bad as the AFL almost getting blue balls if they don't tinker with the rules once every season.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Can't really recall Ponting dropping any/many catches? Refresh my memory?
Against Pakistan and West Indies he dropped a couple of clangers in the slips, that I remember. And he's dropped a fairly simple one either against Pakistan or India in the Aus winter season? I remember being really shocked by it. He used to be solid as. And he never does run-outs anymore. Which he used to turn on like a tap.

Hussey has been pretty poor. Hussey was shelling them every test match leading up to the Ashes. Then suddenly he switched back into the old Huss.

Last edited:

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
I just came here to post this, but there's been interesting convo going in the past two pages, need to give it a further read.

But, who do CA think they are?

Australian news: Big Bash could feature 'super over' | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

If anything, dicking around with the last List A season should mean they keep their grubby hands away from shaking the cage. It's nearly as bad as the AFL almost getting blue balls if they don't tinker with the rules once every season.
Bowlers are bad people and deserve to be FLOGGED. People only come to cricket to watch the batsmen after all. Don't you know anything?

Jayzamann

International Regular
And here's me thinking I wasn't being a quintessential stuffy SACA member, hah :P

Totes just took the survey. Basically said "this isn't baseball" re: keeping 6-hit cricket balls.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
That was in many ways a perfect storm though. The things that we absolutely couldn't afford to go wrong that hadn't gone that badly wrong in the years before (Ponting/Clarke, the attack, the fielding, etc. etc.) went wrong. In many ways it was the "series Australian cricket was due for" because for several years before then, various things - the attack, the FTP, parts of the batting - had managed to keep a lid on things, rather holding everything together with sticky tape. Well, eventually the tape broke.

Not to mention England are actually quite a decent team nowadays.
Yeah it was a good wake up call for cricket australia who have since made tremendous strides to address these issues

Oh wait

BTW, has CA thought of BM20/20? Instead of bowlers who might accidentally get batsmen out, we can just set up some bowling machines at either end. Would be better for sixas

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The more I read about the Big Bash the more pathetic it seems. The quicker it fails the better for the long term health of the game in Australia. I hope I go overseas over summer while it's on because I know I can still watch the test matches.

Cricket Australia can go **** itself

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How hard is it just to not watch it? I really don't get this mentality of people whinging and whinging about it. Did you love the Big Bash format before that much that you can't bare to think about it in any other form??

It's like me cursing Channel 9 for playing McLeods Daughters repeats on GO! during the day. I don't like it so I don't watch it.

Spark

Global Moderator
Can't really recall Ponting dropping any/many catches? Refresh my memory?
Dropped one or two but the most galling was by far at the MCG vs. SA.

Yes, on that day.

They have learnt I think that Michael Clarke can't be in slips to the quicks. He's only in there for the spin bowlers. On the rare occasions when they have slips for them.

Watson is a pretty good and experienced slipsman I think, but he and Haddin appear to have bad communication. Haddin's habit of jumping in front of the slips at some points then just standing still to an almost exact same ball doesn't help. Punter's catching has gone downhill, though such is the culture of denial that I can't see anyone admitting that.
Strange, I think Watto is a rubbish slipper. Much worse than Clarke. I swear it seems that he was dropping a catch every game or two and often the ones he did catch, it was with no conviction whatsoever.

Good point on Ponting's accuracy, that definitely has gone down. Strange too because that is only in the last year or two, in 09 he was freakishly accurate, never seen anyone get so many direct hits in a short space of time.

vcs

Ponting's judgement of sharp runs these days is more suspect than the accuracy of his throwing arm. I think the finger injury was affecting his fielding in the WC FTR.

benchmark00

Nah I reckon Watto is a really good slipper.

With Ponting, I've never really noticed. He did have that finger issue when he caught one so I don't know if he's going to find his way back there. Will probs find slips fielding a little bit easier now that he's not captain also. Takes his mind off things and allows him to focus on the job.

Much prefer seeing Clarke in the covers/point region itbt. He's our best slipper to spinners, but his talent in the field to pacemen is his ground fielding imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah I reckon Watto is a really good slipper.

With Ponting, I've never really noticed. He did have that finger issue when he caught one so I don't know if he's going to find his way back there. Will probs find slips fielding a little bit easier now that he's not captain also. Takes his mind off things and allows him to focus on the job.

Much prefer seeing Clarke in the covers/point region itbt. He's our best slipper to spinners, but his talent in the field to pacemen is his ground fielding imo.
Watto has been significantly better in recent times, I'll give him that. It was just so weird seeing an otherwise good fielder fluff - or come close to fluffing - so many chances last year at first slip.

Definitely agree that Clarke should stay at cover/point. He's always been much more of a special ground than aerial fielder.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Dropped one or two but the most galling was by far at the MCG vs. SA.

Yes, on that day.

Strange, I think Watto is a rubbish slipper. Much worse than Clarke. I swear it seems that he was dropping a catch every game or two and often the ones he did catch, it was with no conviction whatsoever.

Good point on Ponting's accuracy, that definitely has gone down. Strange too because that is only in the last year or two, in 09 he was freakishly accurate, never seen anyone get so many direct hits in a short space of time.
In the last six to a year months, everyone's fielding seems to have taken a nosedive. Mitchell Johnson has become unreliable, especially if it's a sitter, Watson and Hussey in the last six months of 2010 seem to drop more than they held.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah remember that well. That was absurd, they were all simple too. That particular match was pretty appalling in terms of overall performance in the field, think we dropped a catch (tough one though), fluffed an easy run out and took a wicket off a no-ball within the first 15 overs or so.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Two things from cricket.com.au's homepage -

1) There's an interesting injury update report, which suggests that Hastings and Smith will tour Sri Lanka, while Hauritz will not.

2) There's a survey about the BBL. Only takes two minutes to fill out. If you're as angry about as I am, fill it out and let them know exactly what you think.

EDIT: TELEVISE THE SHIELD INSTEAD OF WASTING TIME WITH A SUPER OVER FRBSSSSSSSS

brockley

International Captain
"I've now moved to the UK on a fulltime basis and hope this is the first of many years for me in the FLt20."
SMH dirk nannes on his future,signing with surrey.