• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WHY do they say this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
How much money was Sachin worth at the lates IPL auction??
How much money was Bradman worth at the latest IPL auction??

.....I rest my case

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair irrespecitive of the population the Indian fan is a lot more fanatical both ways than compared to other countries.
Sometimes can be downright silly and the media is so overcriticising and overpraising from one end to the other. Though it is getting better.

Don't think Ponting has ever been booed in his home ground in Tasmania ,has he?
Or been mobbed at the local barber shop to just catch a glimpse of him and have to call the police to ****** him out?

The whole billion thing exaggerates the pressure point a bit ,but the pressure in India in this day and age is i think more than in other countries. And the avenues to release the pressure are restricted too.

Bradman's career was dissected by the Great Depression and the worst war the world has ever seen. But you're right, Sachin was mobbed while getting a haircut.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
It could be argued that the biggest test of greatness is how players new to Test cricket cope with their first Test - before they get used to it all.

Averages after first Test:

Bradman 9.5
Tendulkar 15
Frank Hayes 122

Settled?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll settle at that - although Tip Foster might turn in his grave

Frank Hayes had a rare talent - shame he never fulfilled it - though he is a miserable git

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Bradman's career was dissected by the Great Depression and the worst war the world has ever seen. But you're right, Sachin was mobbed while getting a haircut.
And where did i talk about Bradman there?:)
We were talking about pressure of playing there in India, in day to day life. Obviously the world war affected his career and so of many others.
But it has not much to do with day to day cricketing pressure and avenues to release it.

And btw There was a pretty big depression recently too and there have been war left right and centre everywhere recently though maybe not a world war ,not to mention terrorism and the security threats if we are going down that road.

Last edited:

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
I'll settle at that - although Tip Foster might turn in his grave

Frank Hayes had a rare talent - shame he never fulfilled it - though he is a miserable git
Really? My only memory is as a schoolboy who saw a shining young knight who could stand up to the Windies - before being utterly destroyed. Quite Shakespearean or maybe like a Greek tragedy.

Sorry it worked out badly for him but very unlucky to only bat 17 times for England when all 17 were against the Windies of the mid-seventies.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Completely inappropriate and inflammatory post.

But I did LOL.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If only there were people like rock stars, actors and footballers who understood what Sachin goes through :(

Cruxdude

International Debutant
If only there were people like rock stars, actors and footballers who understood what Sachin goes through :(
Notice that cricketers are missing in what you posted. That is the point, he faces considerably larger pressures than other modern cricketers. Again notice the original post did not mention Bradman.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've read many times that the only job in Australia more important than the cricket captaincy is Prime Minister.

Shahid Afridi leads a nation that is just as cricket-mad as India but that has suffered a lot of pain outside and inside of cricket.

Andrew Strauss captains the side that is home to arguably the world's most intrusive media.

Shakib and Tamim deal with being the only players keeping head above water at international level

Etc etc

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
You're overlooking the fact that none of the aforementioned parties comes from a country where they have to be constantly on the look out for people attempting to blow smoke up their arse. Which I concede, must be very stressful.

Status
Not open for further replies.