• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WHY do they say this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
why are u getting your knickers in a twist if i try and ensure that someone doesn't screw up a thread that i started, chum? btw, i did actually complain to the mods, too...twice. what u term pseudo moderate, i call using common sense and preventing a thread from descending into out and out abuse.
You've done it before though, it's irksome. Just report it and be done with it. It's self-righteous carping.

Chum.

Burgey

Sangakarra averages 76.52 in 46 tests as a non wicketkeeper.
Wonder what he would have averaged had those matches been in 2 countries.
What if two-thirds to three quarters of those matches were played against the best opponent of his era? Say the Australian side of 1999-2007.

Because the best opposition of Bradman's era was England, and he played an awful lot against them.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
oh, shove it with your silly bullyboy bs, burgey. talk about bullies getting all sensitive after being caught out in the act. pathetic.

mate.

and read what my explanation to geraint is to understand why i brought up the issue before.

mate.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
What if two-thirds to three quarters of those matches were played against the best opponent of his era? Say the Australian side of 1999-2007.

Because the best opposition of Bradman's era was England, and he played an awful lot against them.
The only real opposition of Bradman's era was England.

Besides Sangakarra averages 96 odd in Australia as a non wicketkeeper if that is what you are referring too.:)

And just to clarify i am not arguing here that Sangakkara is better than Bradman before anyone gets their knickers in a twist.
Just the fact that you cannot just rely on stats and the gap is not as big as is made out by the propaganda of 50 + years.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Now we're onto Sangakarra as a non-wk. As if the stats weren't being molested enough.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
The "pressure of a billion people" is the greatest crock of **** as a reason to put someone on a pedestal as a player. He's a great player, but talk of some unique type of pressure is bollocks. What makes that any more pressure than, say, Hadlee who may well have thought "I'm carrying the hopes and dreams of my (comparatively) small nation against bigger foes?"

You don't know. No one can. All great players perform well under pressure, that's what makes them great FFS.

And it's true to say that it isn't just batting average, but you've (generic "you", not specifically "you" btw ) cherry picked the attributes of Tendulkar you think make him the best. I could say let's take into account average, innings/ hundred, performing as captain (always conveniently ignored in the love-in. Tendulkar was a laughable captain), holding down a job/ career while playing test cricket, having a six-seven year break and coming back to lead and play well, uncovered wickets, no helmets then Bradman is without peer.

You can pretty much use whatever variables you like. But Tendulkar's record, remarkable though it is, doesn't really come close to Bradman's. It's hardly Bradman's fault they didn't play as much cricket back then as they do now.
but this was my reasoning as to why he was the second greatest (indubitably to me). nowhere am i claiming that he was close to bradman. if u bothered to actually read it properly instead of telling me to pull my head in so much, perhaps u would understand it a little better.

good grief.

Last edited:

Burgey

The only real opposition of Bradman's era was England.

Besides Sangakarra averages 96 odd in Australia as a non wicketkeeper if that is what you are referring too.:)

And just to clarify i am not arguing here that Sangakkara is better than Bradman before anyone gets their knickers in a twist.
Just the fact that you cannot just rely on stats and the gap is not as big as is made out by the propaganda of 50 + years.
No I understand you aren't. I also know Kumar played against the post-McGrath and Warne attack as a non-keeper.

Hey I'm the last one to disparage Sanga as a player. He's a class act.

And certainly England was the better opposition when Bradman played, no doubt. Which is really what makes his record over 20 years against them pretty remarkable.

Burgey

but this was my reasoning as to why he was the second greatest (indubitably to me). nowhere am i claiming that he was close to bradman. if u bothered to actually read it properly instead of telling me to pull my head in so much, perhaps u would understand it a little better.

good grief.
Why I said generic you, not you specifically. I ought to have said "those who say" Tendulkar is the best, as opposed to "you" which made it seem I meant yourself in particular.

Heavens to Betsy.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
This is absolutely true. It confuses me so much when people bring up population as a a reason why Tendulkar > ____________. Do you think Ponting was under less pressure because Aus is only 20 million people?
To be fair irrespecitive of the population the Indian fan is a lot more fanatical both ways than compared to other countries.
Sometimes can be downright silly and the media is so overcriticising and overpraising from one end to the other. Though it is getting better.

Don't think Ponting has ever been booed in his home ground in Tasmania ,has he?
Or been mobbed at the local barber shop to just catch a glimpse of him and have to call the police to ****** him out?

The whole billion thing exaggerates the pressure point a bit ,but the pressure in India in this day and age is i think more than in other countries. And the avenues to release the pressure are restricted too.

Besides the money and all the extra curricular activites and the dummy god status makes it real tough to keep motivated for long these days and in all sports the peak of a sportsperson is coming down .Thanks to one thing - Motivation.

When you have almost done it all ,earned enough money to make sure that even your great grandchildren won't have to work ,what really is the motivation to carry on when your body is injured and your home crowd (where you have grown up) are booing you and people like Chappell and Manjrekar are out with knifes in the media to get you.
Just look at Yuvraj who lost his way after a great start and gained weight and was more interested in girls and cars later on.
Also look at Ian Thorpe if you want a australian example in other sports who was only at the top for a short while and then lost motivation.
To stay at the top for 21 years is that more tougher.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
burgey,

I ought to have said "those who say" Tendulkar is the best, as opposed to "you" which made it seem I meant yourself in particular.
i got that in your original post.

my point is that my post wasn't even about a comparison with bradman.

Last edited:

Burgey

To be fair irrespecitive of the population the Indian fan is a lot more fanatical both ways than compared to other countries.
Sometimes can be downright silly and the media is so overcriticising and overpraising from one end to the other. Though it is getting better.

Or been mobbed at the local barber shop to just catch a glimpse of him and have to call the police to ****** him out?

Besides the money and all the extra curricular activites and the dummy god status makes it real tough to keep motivated for long these days and in all sports the peak of a sportsperson is coming down .Thanks to one thing - Motivation.

When you have almost done it all ,earned enough money to make sure that even your great grandchildren won't have to work ,what really is the motivation to carry on when your body is injured and your home crowd (where you have grown up) are booing you and people like chappell and Manjrekar are out with knifes in the media to get you.
Tbf Ponting nearly ran me over at the SCG in his Porsche 4wd in 2005 after I went to a practice session and gave him a spray over the Ashes debacle that year.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
No need for sniping at people in the middle of a perfectly good discussion. Any more will just be deleted.

Spark

Global Moderator

When you have almost done it all ,earned enough money to make sure that even your great grandchildren won't have to work ,what really is the motivation to carry on when your body is injured and your home crowd (where you have grown up) are booing you and people like chappell and Manjrekar are out with knifes in the media to get you.
Not denying that at all and that is a legitimate point, but I see the "pressure of a billion people!" argument brought up a fair bit, implying that the billion makes it infinitely, uniquely harder for an Indian player, when it's just nonsense that the population should make it so.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Not denying that at all and that is a legitimate point, but I see the "pressure of a billion people!" argument brought up, implying that the billion makes it infinitely, uniquely harder for an Indian player, when it's just nonsense that the population should make it so.
it is subjective, no doubt. perhaps i should have written it better -- ie the expectations of a billion absolutely fanatical (to the level that poses danger to life and limb) cricket followers who follow and criticize your every move....u get the drift.

and the reason i even brought it up is because i have seem many commentators and analysts of the game (non indian ones, too, mind) bring it up to contextualize tendulkar's performances.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Yeah I get that. I should have made that clearer in my own post. I apologise :)
no worries.

what say the olive branch and all that jazz, eh?!

and that goes for u, too, geraint.

then life would be a little smoother and less 'irksome' for all concerned, wot?

Last edited:

Burgey

Is that a true story? :unsure:
Yeah it is. It was before the ICC world xi test.

I went to have a look and had expressed the view that if the Australian team was going to dish out the dross it did that series, they should have told the public in advance so we could have gone to bed.

After the session finished I had a beer in the BBQ area near the SCG nets, and was talking to a bloke as we crossed the road.

There was a sharp toot of a horn and I looked up to see Poning driving Matt Hayden back totheir hotel (I presume). For a moment he had that maniacal look like he was going to accelerate rather than brake. A good thing for me, but a bad thing for CW, that he didn't.

Howe_zat

Audio File
A small point, but just to say, this isn't at all unique to the Indian media. Every country has sports media that do this.

When it comes to cricket, England and New Zealand would be the only real exceptions, but that's only because so much tabloid coverage is given to football and rugby respectively.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.