• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2011

Woodster

International Captain
Was a terrible start in response to the target set, at one stage 21-4, before the experienced Ali Brown and Chris Read string together a 101-run partnership. Both gone now and Notts looking at quite a pasting here.

Woodster

International Captain
Oh well, good start to the season, maybe we could bring in Hassan as replacement:unsure:

Mcc win, btw.
Injury not as bad as first thought it seems for Kirby. A minor tear to his calf muscle, should be fit for the game against Cardiff MCCU on April 9.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid's hit 106 in the second innings with Steve Davies getting 60. The MCC are all out for 357 - Notts need 468 to win.
Yaaay Dravid! Will need him at his best once this WC hoopla is over.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yaaay Dravid! Will need him at his best once this WC hoopla is over.
Definately. Technique-wise, him and Tendy are your best bet in England. If he's not coming together the Indian batting could have some pretty bad days.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The England players are being rested from the county season for varying lengths of time, Strauss gets six weeks off. I'd have thought they'd want to rest Jimmy the most but maybe he'll do better to try and get some form back with a red ball in England.

Shahzad, Bopara, KP, Broad and Collingwood are all still injured.

flibbertyjibber

Guess the time off depends on them getting 2 games in before the first test, i agree with that. Anderson has a game then a week off then a game so can have a few days rest between games before stepping up on training.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Check out some of the pace bowling by Meaker here and here, real pace on show there. I remain convinced that anyone who is consistently around 90mph is an international contender (not now, but in the future) and he is definitely around that mark, as far as I can see.

Neil Pickup

Couple of interesting games at the Parks coming up: Lancs and Notts both up for three-day games against Oxford UCCE - will be down to watch as much as I can. Hopefully we'll have some decent players on show.

Woodster

International Captain
Check out some of the pace bowling by Meaker here and here, real pace on show there. I remain convinced that anyone who is consistently around 90mph is an international contender (not now, but in the future) and he is definitely around that mark, as far as I can see.
Big fan of Stuart Meaker, he does have real pace, and I hope we don't transform him into an England style bowler in terms of him becoming more of a medium quick and getting the ball to do a bit more, etc. This guy has real pace, as you can see from the delivery that removes Ben Scott's off stump in the link, wow, that stump goes for a trip. People that have seen more of him than me suggest he is straight up and down, albeit quick. In one of his interviews he says he has been working on his outswing while in Australia over the winter, and basically thinking more about his game. 2011 could be a very big year for him.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Big fan of Stuart Meaker, he does have real pace, and I hope we don't transform him into an England style bowler in terms of him becoming more of a medium quick and getting the ball to do a bit more, etc. This guy has real pace, as you can see from the delivery that removes Ben Scott's off stump in the link, wow, that stump goes for a trip.
I disagree. English bowlers tend to have a fair bit of pace. Pretty much all of England's bowlers recently are capable of bowling 140kph.

Woodster

International Captain
I disagree. English bowlers tend to have a fair bit of pace. Pretty much all of England's bowlers recently are capable of bowling 140kph.
Tbh, times have changed more of late. Duncan Fletcher was always a fan of a bowler that could bowl around 90mph, but generally we have bowlers capable of sharp spells but not bowlers you'd say are out and out quick. Bowlers that are able to take a very flat pitch out of the equation and bowl full and fast, nothing subtle just red hot pace.

The English system has done it to so many bowlers over the years, they come on the scene with the potential of being lightning, and with one or two tweaks here and there, they become the stereotypical English seamer.

I know pace is far from everything, but we do lack a genuine quick bowler imo.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh, times have changed more of late. Duncan Fletcher was always a fan of a bowler that could bowl around 90mph, but generally we have bowlers capable of sharp spells but not bowlers you'd say are out and out quick. Bowlers that are able to take a very flat pitch out of the equation and bowl full and fast, nothing subtle just red hot pace.
True. However, you really are talking about the type of bowler that everyone wants but no one actually has. Shane Bond, Shoaib Akhtar, Brett Lee and Shaun Tait are the only real bowlers with the speed that you have spoken of, applied to the international arena, in recent times.

The English system has done it to so many bowlers over the years, they come on the scene with the potential of being lightning, and with one or two tweaks here and there, they become the stereotypical English seamer.
Would be very interesting to hear who you mean, in particular.

I know pace is far from everything, but we do lack a genuine quick bowler imo.
Heard it a lot from Indian fans, but never from an English fan. Broad bowls the occasional ball at 150kph, I thought that'd be enough, but it would seem everyone is chasing that Akhtar/Bond/Lee/Tait level difference maker who can bowl several consecutive spells at 145kph.

Woodster

International Captain
True. However, you really are talking about the type of bowler that everyone wants but no one actually has. Shane Bond, Shoaib Akhtar, Brett Lee and Shaun Tait are the only real bowlers with the speed that you have spoken of, applied to the international arena, in recent times.

Would be very interesting to hear who you mean, in particular.

Heard it a lot from Indian fans, but never from an English fan. Broad bowls the occasional ball at 150kph, I thought that'd be enough, but it would seem everyone is chasing that Akhtar/Bond/Lee/Tait level difference maker who can bowl several consecutive spells at 145kph.
Oh yes I'm not suggesting every side possesses these quick bowlers, just that we lack one. These bowlers I appreciate don't come round too often, but we have had a few potential spedsters that have ultimately been turned into medium-quicks, admittedly I may now be going back a few years.

Broad can bowl sharply, I don't doubt that. Will probably average around mid 80's (maybe mid-late in a good Test) in a Test series, which is still sharp-ish. I know players at times bowl within thereselves then produce a quick spell when their side need it most, but I wouldn't put Broad down as an out and out quick.

With some bowlers of the past that have ended up dropping their pace, there are of course other factors such as injuries, Alex Tudor was real sharp, yet endured a few injuries that didn't help, but we did have a reputation, I would think during the 90's, of not letting quick bowlers flourish into just that.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Alex Tudor was ever any quicker than the likes of Broad and Anderson to be honest.

I doubt Meaker would be any more effective than Saj Mahmood at test level unless he has improved his accuracy markedly.

Woodster

International Captain
I don't think Alex Tudor was ever any quicker than the likes of Broad and Anderson to be honest.

I doubt Meaker would be any more effective than Saj Mahmood at test level unless he has improved his accuracy markedly.
He was consistently quick during the Perth Test (ask the Waugh brothers), you may be right, but he always had the potential to be as a kid. Certainly would say he was regularly quicker than Anderson on the whole.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Interesting (and quite pleasing) to see Bopara has reportedly turned down an IPL contract to try and win the spot in the Test line-up.