• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Official' Semi Final 2 - Pakistan v India

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

Shri

Mr. Glass
Remember it has always been the spinners who turn the ball miles that have gone on to do really well. Such as Warne, Murali, McGill, etc. Ashwin doesn't spin that much.
Lol. Kumble? Vettori? Hauritz(ODs)? You can be world class if you have exceptional control over other factors in spin bowling. Chawla/Kaneria/Krezja can turn the ball a mile on a pitch that suits spin bowling but they don't have good control over line and length when compared to other class spinners. Having both control and spin is ideal but doing the basics right can get you a long way as a spinner.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sanjay Manjrekar is moron, oppurtunist, so far none of his prediction has come true. Also we Indians hate him too, he was actually very anti-India/Pro Pak in commentary, holds grudge against Sachin, can't hide his jealousy reallizing he was rated so high in early 90s, but destiny had differant plans. Even Ramiz Raja corrected him so many times regarding criticism of Sachin on Ten Sports. Now he seems to have switched sides, has no other options really, Sachin is scoring millions of runs since 2007WC, made him to eat his words.
Also, if I am not mistaken, Sachin has a pretty fat long term contract with ESPN - Star Sports, with whom Sanjay is now associated.. So there must be all the more reasn for his volte-face on the Indian team and Sachin.. :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Actually I thought I was the only one who noticed that but apparently so do other people. I thought Sanjay used to be quite pro Pak in his initial days, more so than other commentators, but in recent times he has gone in the completely opposite direction.

It does seem at least somebody else also has noticed it
TEN is based on Pak rights and STAR is based in India.. That might have something to do with it.. :laugh:

jeevan

International 12th Man
This would be my combined Ind-Pak XI

Sehwag
Sachin
Gambhir
Misbah
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Afridi
Harbhajan
Ajmal
Zaheer
Gul

7-4 India.
That's a surprise on current form. Yes Harbhajan is a containing bowler and there are enough wicket takers in this line up, but still...

With six bowlers capable of finishing their 10 - can put Akhtar in the mix instead

Also note that India play a stronger batsman at #7, so dropping Harbhajan, moving Afridi to #8 and playing an extra batsman (Umar Akmal? YKP for more bowling? Raina as finisher?) is an option.

smash84

The Tiger King
TEN is based on Pak rights and STAR is based in India.. That might have something to do with it.. :laugh:
Ohhhhhh........now this makes a lot of sense...........no wonder....didn't know about this.....:)

Lol. Kumble? Vettori? Hauritz(ODs)? You can be world class if you have exceptional control over other factors in spin bowling. Chawla/Kaneria/Krezja can turn the ball a mile on a pitch that suits spin bowling but they don't have good control over line and length when compared to other class spinners. Having both control and spin is ideal but doing the basics right can get you a long way as a spinner.
Kaneria didn't have any control over Khatmal either :ph34r:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't really care where Pakistan are to be perfectly honest, I won't make any bones about it. This match is all about us, if we go out there and execute out skills like we did against Australia then no matter who they put on the park, we will win.

I don't think it is a case of us being anaylsts here or looking over our shoulder and comparing apples as it were! if we play to our best then it really does come down to us and how we play.
Most of the times, how ANY team plays is dependent on how the opposition plays.. :dry:

Woodster

International Captain
Have been more impressed with Pakistan throughout this tournament so far, whether that is because they've displayed the kind of consistency that is generally so unlike them, I'm not sure. They have an abundance of potential match winners (as do India) that you don't know which of them is going to turn it on on the day.

Hafeez was outstanding with bat and ball against the WI in the quarters, Afridi and Gul have been excellent too, I still think Shoaib should get the nod for this game providing he can get through the bulk of his ten overs, just offers more of a threat than Riaz, who has bowled nicely in spells. Akhtar against Tendulkar and Sehwag could be so enthralling, Pleased Ajmal is back in the XI, he seems more difficult to dominate than Rehman, so will see how the Indian line-up plays him.

I think Pakistan must be flexible with their batting line-up, personally would like to see Younis Khan come in at three, Shafiq starting at four, with the potential of flirting in Umar Akmal should the need arise to improve the run rate. Keeping Misbah at 5 or 6 will allow for him to help re-build the innings or play innovatively in the power plays. The boundary hitting capability of Afridi and Razzaq may not have come off to the extent they'd have hoped, but it just might on Wednesday.

smash84

The Tiger King
What ever happened to 'bowlers win games?'
I think that might be the reason that a lot of the people give Pakistan a chance because their bowling is much better than India otherwise Pakistan's batting really is quite terrible. I still think it is the bowlers who will win you matches most of the time (I will have to admit though that India has been an exception).

Have been more impressed with Pakistan throughout this tournament so far, whether that is because they've displayed the kind of consistency that is generally so unlike them, I'm not sure. They have an abundance of potential match winners (as do India) that you don't know which of them is going to turn it on on the day.

Hafeez was outstanding with bat and ball against the WI in the quarters, Afridi and Gul have been excellent too, I still think Shoaib should get the nod for this game providing he can get through the bulk of his ten overs, just offers more of a threat than Riaz, who has bowled nicely in spells. Akhtar against Tendulkar and Sehwag could be so enthralling, Pleased Ajmal is back in the XI, he seems more difficult to dominate than Rehman, so will see how the Indian line-up plays him.

I think Pakistan must be flexible with their batting line-up, personally would like to see Younis Khan come in at three, Shafiq starting at four, with the potential of flirting in Umar Akmal should the need arise to improve the run rate. Keeping Misbah at 5 or 6 will allow for him to help re-build the innings or play innovatively in the power plays. The boundary hitting capability of Afridi and Razzaq may not have come off to the extent they'd have hoped, but it just might on Wednesday.
I think you are right about the consistency part. The Pakistan side in the world cup has looked quite consistent compared to Pak teams of the past.

agree with Akhtar and Akmal parts too. Besides Riaz isn't bowling too well either so Akhtar should be brought back for the SF and his quota of 10 overs should be finished before the 35th over. Give him a long first spell IMO. The guy clearly has fitness issues.

The batting order seems fine now with Asad Shafiq coming in and playing an anchoring role IMO. I hope Hafeez and Khatmal have regained some form after they hit a century opening stand against the WI in the QF. The prospect of seeing one last battle between Tendy, Sehwag, and Akhtar seems mouth watering.

Xuhaib

International Coach
with so much focus on Sachin,Sehwag and Yuvi I have a sneaky feeling Gambhir or Kohli will be the ones who will hurt us.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Gambhir is an underrated gun in ODIs. Just scores and scores(much like in life).

His batting against spinners is ****ing incredible. He might not be as naturally talented against spin bowling as some others in the team but I'd take him over anyone else to score runs against it.

He averages 40+ in ODIs at an SR of 87 over 100+ games. That is exceptional. Has been in decent form this WC too. I'd take a Gambhir century in the final over a Sachin century tbh. The guy deserves so much more acclaim.

Xuhaib

International Coach
you can't be the best player in your side of any kind of bowling if Sachin Tendulkar happens to be playing along side you.