• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 2 - India v Australia

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I know you're kidding HB, but Ponting didn't claim the catch. And if there was a take your word policy in place he would have said not out.

BeeGee

International Captain
Though to add to that did not really get why Australia were only aiming at 250 to 270 odd from the start.
It's their new strategy, start slow and keep wickets in hand for the slog overs at the end. Basically designed to protect their weak middle order, but India still managed to rip through them (Clarke, M Hussey, White all failing).

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Agreed this match was worthy of the final the Aussie coach said it pretty much was the final! we are taking it all the way for that!
I have to agree with kiwininja and BeeGee that the arrogance shown by some posters is just incredible. It's as if India has already won the WC. Where is IndiaLose when you need him. :))

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Aus have had their share of WCups. Time to make way for others.

Best Wishes to Ponting, he fought to the end

India vs Pakistan, the ultimate match-up. Yuvraj vs Afridi, battle of the heavyweights. India's batsmen vs Pakistan's bowlers. Let's hope no untoward incidents in this high-pressured game.

Dissector

International Debutant
I still think 260 was a very good total on this pitch. There was definitely enough to keep the bowlers interested and the pressure of a chase in a knock-out game was always going to be intense as India showed for a while. Where the game was lost by Australia IMO was the Gambhir/Kohli partnership. Just too many easy singles off the backfoot. If Australia had a truly world class spinner I think they could have won the game. While it's his bizzare implosion towards the end that will be remembered, Gambhir deserves credit for putting India in a winning position. I don't think playing the spinners was quite as easy as he made it look.

Of course India almost managed to lose it from there but the key was that the RRR was always completely reasonable and Yuvraj/Raina knew that one big over would always swing the game back India's way.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah my mate has been telling me for yonks that Gambhir is the best Indian batsman against spin in ODIs right now. Always told him I'd still take Sachin and Sehwag, but tonight I started to believe he may be right.

The way he used his feet and played back was superb. Took full advantage of the generous field Australia set. He plays the ball so late and sometimes he charges and plays it away from his body... it looks so risky but he seems to know exactly what he is doing. He also can just bunt it to the legside for an easy single at any time.

Was a very patient and smart innings... until he became a South African middle order batsman for an over and threw it all away.

Thank God for Waterboy and Raina.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought Kohli also looked very good working the spinners around. It is not something that comes naturally to him and I thought he might get tied down a bit by Krejza, Clarke and Hussey but he did well. I'll forgive him that full-toss dismissal, seeing as the result went our way.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah it wasn't a stupid shot by Kohli. Neither was Dhoni's. It was there to hit. They both just picked out the fielder.

Sehwag's shot was unnecessary. Don't pull or hook a ball when you can't do it. Know your limitations, and don't try and be Sachin.

Gambhir's was absolutely idiotic. Disgustingly bad. Hopefully he learns from it.

Regarding Kohli in the middle overs. His get out shot is his trademark wristy shot through cover or in between cover and mid-off. He tried it a lot on a slow wicket and struggled for timing. I hope he expands his middle order batting game more like he did later in his innings. The way he worked it to mid on, square leg etc. was very convincing. And of course when he gained more confidence he could then push it through cover.

Will be much more difficult vs. Ajmal, Afridi and Hafeez though.

shankar

International Debutant
Thought Kohli also looked very good working the spinners around. It is not something that comes naturally to him and I thought he might get tied down a bit by Krejza, Clarke and Hussey but he did well. I'll forgive him that full-toss dismissal, seeing as the result went our way.
Hope they don't drop him. I have a feeling he has one crucial knock in him.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gambhir did great today, but I wouldn't be opposed to sending Kohli at 3 if we lose the first wicket to the pace bowlers (like today). Gambhir did struggle a bit at the start today against Lee and Johnson.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I know you're kidding HB, but Ponting didn't claim the catch. And if there was a take your word policy in place he would have said not out.
well.. I was kidding.. so lets straighten that out.. And Punter, for all his faults, has always come across as a honest sorta guy to me .. Grumpy,biased and stupid at times yes but never came across as dishonest..

what I actually meant was that what do we do when a fielder is not sure? I am almost a 100% sure a fielder will say not out if he knows when he has not caught it but not when he says he is not sure. It basically means lets see the replays.. And in that case, why not let all disputed catches be settled this way.. My criticism is of Punter's thoughts on this issue, not that he cheated today or anything..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gambhir did great today, but I wouldn't be opposed to sending Kohli at 3 if we lose the first wicket to the pace bowlers (like today). Gambhir did struggle a bit at the start today against Lee and Johnson.
Yes, I have been arguing this staunchly. Kohli is better against pace than spin, Gambhir is awesome against spin. It makes sense to have Gambhir come in later in the innings. Yes it ruins a left hand right hand thing we have going from 3-7, but so what? Not that big an advantage IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd ask who cares about Dhoni Fan, but apparently like 20 posters do based on the last two weeks.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Everyone loves a good graph, right?

Got back to 60-40 India with Dhoni's wicket. Admit it, which Indian fans were crapping themselves at that point?

Himannv

International Coach
Well done to India for being the better team on the night.

Positives to take out of this WC for Australia: Hmmm, have to think about that one. Almost nothing except perhaps some good spirited bowling from Brett Lee. Definitely should be their spearhead from now on until he's injured or retired..

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well done to India for being the better team on the night.

Positives to take out of this WC for Australia: Hmmm, have to think about that one. Almost nothing except perhaps some good spirited bowling from Brett Lee. Definitely should be their spearhead from now on until he's injured or retired..
Unfortunately, Brett is done

He bowled beautifully tonight without luck (no doubt Viru was out IMO)

But he's 35 and Oz needs to rebuild

Let him play IPL, star in woeful Bollywood movies, sing crappy songs and make millions