• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic season 2010-11

SeamUp

International Coach
Well it worked. They beat Boland by 80 runs.

Boland v KwaZulu-Natal at Paarl, Feb 24-26, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Interesting young chinaman bowler playing for the Cobras in the 20/20 by the name of Michael Rippon. Straight out of U19 cricket, never played provincial for WP and has lay down some impressive performances thus far for the Cobras.

2nd Semi-Final - 1st Leg: Cape Cobras v Titans at Cape Town, Feb 27, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Michael Rippon | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo
Been very impressed with him. He went to my old alma mater and did very well in his school cricket career. Definitely one to watch out for.

I see the Dolphins have stolen 2 fast bowling talents from WP in Brendan Young and Chad Fortune and both have impressive junior records.

SeamUp

International Coach
The under19s tour of England sounds really interesting. Do you know who they'll be playing and when?
There are 7 ODI's between the 2 sides. I'm not sure if their is other warm-up games.

dates are July 16, 18, 21, 23, 26 28, 30

Venues: Edgbaston, Northampton, Arundel x2, Taunton, Cantebury x2

Howe_zat

Audio File
There are 7 ODI's between the 2 sides. I'm not sure if their is other warm-up games.

dates are July 16, 18, 21, 23, 26 28, 30

Venues: Edgbaston, Northampton, Arundel x2, Taunton, Cantebury x2
Thanks, mate. Would rather have them play a few counties and 3 or 4 ODIs than a 7-match series, but stil, should be interesting. Shame there's no matches near me.

SeamUp

International Coach
Thanks, mate. Would rather have them play a few counties and 3 or 4 ODIs than a 7-match series, but stil, should be interesting. Shame there's no matches near me.
Sure, mate. I'm sure when it gets closer to the time an official fixture list will be released by both boards. I would think that it would be a bit unrealistic for our SA u19 side to go straight into the real deal without a warm-up fixture.

The tour seems to be sticking down south for the majority of fixtures. Where you hoping for them to play?

On our last u19 tour to England we played Development of E
xcellence sides as warm-ups.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Sure, mate. I'm sure when it gets closer to the time an official fixture list will be released by both boards. I would think that it would be a bit unrealistic for our SA u19 side to go straight into the real deal without a warm-up fixture.

The tour seems to be sticking down south for the majority of fixtures. Where you hoping for them to play?

On our last u19 tour to England we played Development of Excellence sides as warm-ups.
Was hoping there'd be something around Leeds, if not at Headingley itself. If there was a match there I would have liked to have gone, I live a short walk away. I'll still follow the matches if I can, always interested in youth cricket.

SeamUp

International Coach
Was hoping there'd be something around Leeds, if not at Headingley itself. If there was a match there I would have liked to have gone, I live a short walk away. I'll still follow the matches if I can, always interested in youth cricket.
I think its quite poor that theres no games up north myself.

Also only one major test ground is being used. I know there is fixture congestion and over-use of the pitches but I'm sure they could have had a game at Trent Bridge or at Headingley or something.

I'm also a big follower of youth cricket. I guess the future internationals have to start from somewhere and its good to see quality young cricketers progressing.

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm going to fly up to England to watch a few games..hehe..no just joking. But it should be a good series.

Hopefully the England u19 side will be of a high standard.

Its the only series that our u19 side plays anymore (home and away vs England) besides tri-series before an u19 world cup or something.

SeamUp

International Coach
So the Warriors are going to the Champs League again thanks to that bulldog, Mark Boucher. What an absolute legend.

The Dolphins are going in the right direction under Fordy and they will continue to improve and so will the youngsters he is bringing into the franchise system.

SeamUp

International Coach
Should be a brilliant atmosphere for the Pro20 final at Newlands on Friday night. Packed crowd and some cricket between two quality sides.

I think the Cobras will take it home in front of the home crowd.

SeamUp

International Coach
Cricket South Africa on Wednesday named Jacques Rudolph of the Nashua Titans as captain of the South Africa A side for next month’s home series against their Bangladeshi counterparts.

“Jacques will lead the team in both the four-day and one-day series,” commented selection convener Andrew Hudson, “although he may not be available for the final one-day match. He has done an excellent job for the Titans this summer both as leader and player and he brings a level of experience that will be invaluable, particularly to the younger players.”

The South Africa A side will be defending a proud record which saw them unbeaten in two away series on the sub-continent last year.

“There were five players we could not consider because of their commitments to the Indian Premier League,” added Hudson. “They are Rilee Rossouw, Jonathan Vandiar, Rusty Theron, Wayne Parnell and Colin Ingram.”

There are interesting new bowling selections in Craig Alexander of the bizhub Highveld Lions and Keshav Maharaj of the Nashua Dolphins as the selectors look to build depth in this area. Alexander is one of the quickest bowlers in the country and has represented South Africa in two under-19 World Cups. Maharaj, a left arm spinner, has come to the fore in the Dolphins’ limited overs campaigns this season. He is also a former SA Schools player.

There is also a return for impressive Nashua Titans seamer Ethy Mbhalati who missed both of last year’s South Africa A tours through injury and a recall for Justin Ontong of the Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras who has shown impressive form this season.

Farhaan Behardien, the hard-hitting Nashua Titans all-rounder, also gets a chance at this level.

South Africa A four-day squad: Jacques Rudolph (Nashua Titans, capt), Craig Alexander (bizhub Highveld Lions), Farhaan Behardien (Nashua Titans), Dean Elgar (Chevrolet Knights), Quinton Friend (Nashua Dolphins), Heino Kuhn (Nashua Titans), Keshav Maharaj (Nashua Dolphins), Ethy Mbhalati (Nashua Titans), Ryan McLaren (Chevrolet Knights), Justin Ontong (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras), Vernon Philander (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras), Andrew Puttick (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras), Stiaan van Zyl (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras).

South Africa A one-day squad: Jacques Rudolph (Nashua Titans, capt), Craig Alexander (bizhub Highveld Lions), Farhaan Behardien (Nashua Titans), Loots Bosman (Nashua Dolphins), Dean Elgar (Chevrolet Knights), Imraan Khan (Nashua Dolphins), Heino Kuhn (Nashua Titans), Keshav Maharaj (Nashua Dolphins), Ethy Mbhalati (NashuaTitans), Ryan McLaren (Chevrolet Knights), David Miller (Nashua Dolphins), Vernon Philander (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras).

SeamUp

International Coach
Some surprising slections due to IPL involvement. I guess Van der Merwe would have been in the one-day side as well.

Maharaj has a good action but quite surprising he got the nod ahead of Dale Deeb.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Alexander has hardly featured for the Lions this season and hasn’t even been taking wickets in provincial cricket. Seems like the injury has really set him back, so it’s a surprising call to include him. Though it’s pretty difficult to put together a decent side with the WC and IPL, ideally Robbie P or Botha would be the spinner while guys like Theron, Lopsy and Parnell would be the pace attack.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Would have liked to seen Richard Levi in the one day side. Come good for the Cobras as their 20/20 opener this year. Also maybe get some of the guys from the U19 set-up a go, the likes of Dominic Hendricks, Lionel Vaaltyn and David White. There is no point in selecting the likes of Ontong and Puttick, they are never going to play for South Africa again. Even the younger guys like Imraan Khan have missed the boat.

SeamUp

International Coach
Alexander has hardly featured for the Lions this season and hasn’t even been taking wickets in provincial cricket. Seems like the injury has really set him back, so it’s a surprising call to include him. Though it’s pretty difficult to put together a decent side with the WC and IPL, ideally Robbie P or Botha would be the spinner while guys like Theron, Lopsy and Parnell would be the pace attack.

Injuries can be very disruptive to a fast bowlers career. He has plenty of raw talent and the natural ability to bowl 150kmph outswingers and you can't teach that to anyone I guess.

I guess the fast bowlers to have missed out have been Plaatjies (injured), Kleinveldt, Walters, Birch, Abbott, O'Reilly, De Wet and De Villiers. I think some of those have been disappointing this season or still need to climb the ladder. I think someone like an O'Reilly will go on the Emerging tour this year.

There is plenty of young fast bowling talent. The Titans have two genuine strike bowlers in Hardus Viljoen and Marchant 'Merchant' De Lange coming through. Both have been selected in SA academy squad.

Then the Dolphins continue to poach players and have signed two fast bowlers in Chad Fortune and Brendan Young from WP. The Cobras can be very disappointed with the loss of those 2.

Then the 3 u19 fast bowlers in Calvin Savage, Jan Frylinck and Daryn Dupavillon which has the potential to be the best ever SA u19 pace-attack if selected.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some awesome names there. Hopefully they make it to international cricket for that reason alone.

SeamUp

International Coach
Would have liked to seen Richard Levi in the one day side. Come good for the Cobras as their 20/20 opener this year. Also maybe get some of the guys from the U19 set-up a go, the likes of Dominic Hendricks, Lionel Vaaltyn and David White. There is no point in selecting the likes of Ontong and Puttick, they are never going to play for South Africa again. Even the younger guys like Imraan Khan have missed the boat.
Yeah, Levi has definitely taken a step forward in his career. Glamorgan tried to sign him but the Cobras rejected all attempts.

I agree its a tough call when to say that Puttick and Ontong are too old to get slected for SA 'A' and so on but I guess Hudson is just trying to reward goo performance and keep credibility in the system. Putters especially has put a lot of hard yards in over the years. Ontong has actually had a decent 4-day season.

I personally don't think Hendricks or White are that special. They're both very limited. So I think they're going to have to work the hard yards for many years before they get franchise debuts.

Vaaltyn can give the ball a wrip as a young leg-spinner. Awfully raw at the moment, but he and Rippon at the Cobras have a lot of promise. Deeb has had a good 4-day season for the Lions.

SeamUp

International Coach
An article on CALVIN SAVAGE about a year or so ago

Sports clubs the world over are littered with the tales of former schoolboy sporting prodigies who never quite made the grade. 'Sure things' who were going all the way, until the responsibilities of life and the emergence of their own limitations came to the fore. These men often sit at the corner of the bar as their colleagues reminisce of a time when they reigned supreme. This is not such a story; it can't be.

There will be no possible alternative to fulfillment; no compromise of the promise that is clear for all to see. This is a story of a young man who's journey has just begun, but is sure to include a path of enviable success.

Calvin Peter Savage was born seventeen years ago and immediately took to the game of cricket as if it was as natural to him as breathing. At an age where his peers spent countless monotonous hours staring at a TV screen, three year-old Calvin was obsessed with the plastic yellow cricket bat and ball set that his father had brought home. "I remember getting that cricket set and not being able to put it down.

I played the whole day, every day and couldn't stop".

A backyard chuck around is one thing; the daunting prospect of cricket whites, a pitch and a hard ball is quite another. The idea of the red cherry being hurled at you from 22 yards causes many a young boy a great deal of apprehension before he goes in to bat, whilst sporting pads that are invariably the size of the boy himself. They walk past the departing batsman and ask him one simply question: 'Is he quick?'

The under 10 opponents of Sarnia Primary wouldn't have concern themselves with such trepidation when looking at eight year old Calvin, but they would soon learn their lesson. Moving to Westville Senior Primary, the trend of Calvin punching above his weight continued when he was selected to play for the school first XI whilst still in grade five. Grade sixes (much like grade elevens in high school) playing in a first team is impressive; grade fives almost always indicate something extraordinary.

Whilst Calvin's star was on the rise, so too was that of Westville Boys High School. He lived in Westville, he attended their primary feeder school, it seemed a logical inference that he would be headed down Wandsbeck Road. Fate stepped in and had other ideas.

"I have a lot of respect for Westville, but something inside me always wanted to have that old-fashioned boarding school experience. Maritzburg College had shown an interest in me, but it's always a tough decision at the end of primary school". Not only did College present the opportunity to essentially live with his school mates, it also offered him the Jacques Kallis scholarship and suddenly his decision became clear. "There is such tradition with an old school like College. There's a sign in the change room that says 'This is Goldstones' and it's custom that you touch it before you go on to the oval. You realize that guys like Jonty Rhodes and Kevin Pietersen have touched that same sign and played on the same field and you're immediately inspired by that thought. You realize that you are a part of something far bigger than you".

Having arrived at College, Savage immediately made his mark as a player to look out for in the future.

In an early under 14 fixture against Hilton, he notched up 120 undefeated runs; his highest score to date. Even more impressive is the fact that, much like Shaun Pollock and Andrew Flintoff, he is considered a bowling all rounder, rather than the alternative that Kallis has come to personify.

If one is to measure talent identification by a school's sporting output, then Maritzburg College is near the top of the pile. Experience meant the school knew a burgeoning talent when they saw one and immediately promoted Savage to the first XI cricket team in grade nine. With College consistently fielding in excess of twenty five cricket teams on any given Saturday, this selection was sure to cause a buzz. It was not as if Calvin was young maestro batsman or nuggety wicketkeeper; he was the school opening bowler.

Today, the grade eleven pupil has amassed sixty-two first team caps and is a relative veteran of the squad. Once intent on mimicking the action of Makhaya Ntini, he is now content to bowl with his own unique action and play the game with the self-confidence that comes with experience. "I've learnt to play my own game" he says with a tint of hindsight. "I really admire Wayne Parnell as his story is one that I'd like to emulate, but it's important to play the way that comes natural to me". That is of course subject to the tweaking of Maritzburg College's first XI coach, Mike Bechet, who Savage lists as a major influence and reason for his wanting to attend College in the first place.

At an imposing 194 centimeters tall, Calvin Savage is the complete physical package; a fact partly due to genetic advantage as well as his professional attitude towards off field preparation and conditioning.

"I normally have an eight week break at the end of a season to recover and also to allow myself to miss the game. It means that when I do get back in the swing of things, I can barely contain myself. You get that drive and it's hard to stop". Calvin supplements net practices with gym sessions and hopes to get back into hockey next year (he did not play this year). "The gym side of it is a bit of strength work, but mostly staying flexible and athletic. Brute strength helps certain fast bowlers such as (Australian) Shaun Tait, but you'll notice that the bigger guys are only able to bowl for short spells. To be a test bowler like Dale Steyn, you have to be incredibly supple and that's what I'm aiming for".

A glaring undertone of that statement is Calvin's appreciation of the longer form of the game in an age where 'pajama cricket' is king. "Test cricket is the greatest honour, without a doubt. Twenty20 suits my attacking style of batting and I'm a decent death bowler, but if I had to make a choice, it'd be test cricket, without a doubt. That said, he still enjoys the shorter form of the game in its different guises. Ever the patriot, he supports the Dolphins locally, follows the Warriors in the Champions League and keeps an eye out for the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the IPL (due to the representation of Jacques Kallis, Dale Steyn and coach, Ray Jennings, who is also Savage's SA under 19 coach).

One of the great advantages of the life of a professional cricketer is the opportunity to see some of the most beautifully diverse places on the planet. His cricketing talents (and subsequent selection) have given him the opportunity to sample such a lifestyle and fill his passport. "I've had the chance to tour Zimbabwe with the SA under 19 side, England with my school team and Namibia with the Inland Men's squad. Not only do you see different cultures, but you get to test yourself against styles that you aren't used to. For example, the best batsman I have ever bowled to was in England against a guy who is originally from the West Indies". As for South Africa, who does he rate in cricketing circles? "KES are definitely the toughest school I've played against and at provincial level, you always find Western Province, Northerns and Gauteng are the real powers".

It is often said that statistics are misleading in the world of sport, but if there is one code where they prove to be near conclusive, it's the game of cricket. So how good is Calvin Savage, really? Well firstly he was selected for the SA under 19 team at the age of 16; with a year and a half left at school he averages a bowling speed of 128 km/h (135 if he is feeling really good) and he lives in a province that has embraced a policy of developing home-grown talent and giving them opportunities at the highest level.

"When I finish high school, I'd like to go the Dolphins Academy and eventually be contracted there.

Being a Durban boy, I've supported them my whole life and it's really encouraging when you see the senior side filled with guys who went to school in KZN and were given the opportunity to prove themselves for the Dolphins". When one considers that fast bowlers come into their physical prime at around twenty-eight years old, Savage is surely a worthwhile investment.

Despite his schoolboy admiration for Kevin Pietersen, he has no plans of following in his footsteps.

"I'm not really looking at County cricket at the moment. I'd rather do my best to make it here in South Africa and try push for a Proteas spot one day than to go over to the UK where a lot of South African youngsters are almost pushed to play for England. I'd like to study at Varsity College after school, possibly economics or marketing; we'll see when the time comes". When you're selected for an international under 19 side at the age of 16, ambition is not optional, it's a requirement. "In five years time, I'd like to have a degree behind me and hopefully would have played in the Champions League as a Dolphins regular. By the time I'm 24, my goal is to have played in the IPL and be in the Proteas mix".

For many a youngster, such bold aspirations would seem lofty. For Calvin Savage, they are simply a matter of time.