• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 15 - England v Ireland

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What I would really LOVE to see is the response when we mention that as an excuse if India plays poorly in England and England win... That our guys are playing nonstop cricket and are jaded.. I can pretty much bet on what the reaction would be and it most certainly won't be Jono's to my post here.. :)
The Indian players could have a 6 week break after the World Cup if they wanted. If they're jaded by the time they get to England then it's their fault.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You'd think a World Cup would produce enough adrenalin to make it a bit of a non-issue though. I can understand the players being tired during the one day series in Australia for example but I just can't imagine any players thinking "oh god, I've got a World Cup game tomorrow but I'm really over it; can't wait for this to end".
The group games are almost meaningless just now though. Failing to beat India and Ireland really hasn't done anything to dent England's chances of qualifying from the group.

And at the end of the day, they've been on tour solidly for 4 months - that means living out of a hotel room and doing a **** load of travelling. That's not easy, regardless of whether it's a World Cup or not.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I suppose all the dropped catches against India was down to taking them lightly as well?8-)
They have dropped off in fielding and Bowling that's 2 out of 3, I don't know what it's down to, only looking for reasons why a team that has had such high standards, especially in fielding, should suddenly slip, in all the matches they've played in the WC, whether you buy whatever theory is neither here nor there, where just discussing them, I thought that's what cricket forums are for.
Fielding was good mostly when it mattered, or at least they were not dropping catches like flies when it mattered.. As I said, it just simply does not wash. And the worst culprit in the game against India was Shehzad.. Doesn't fill me with confidence he will be an Anderson in the field at any time at all... So really do not think it is a drop off in performance at least for him..

That's about as fair as one of them saying you'd be the first one to use a heavy schedule as an excuse for a poor performance from India. Not very fair in other words.
Why again, exactly? My point is that the guys who are eager to push this excuse through here for England will react the exact opposite way when someone brings it up for India...

Says who? I've been jaded in work and still done some things well but given others less focus. I've seen tired football teams continue to defend well but forget how to pass. It'd ridiculous to suggest a tired team muist automatically drop in all aspects of performance.

It's not an excuse, anyway, because I think they should be beating Ireland and India regardless. But it is a reasonable explanation for the dropped catches given the way we fielded for two years before. And why do you think Anderson is bowling such turd? Because je feels like it?

I agree, Martyn but I am suggesting based on what I have seen.. The really tired teams due to touring tend to drop off in all aspects.. And with England, they have actually IMPROVED their batting, which is again difficult to do when you are jaded.. The men who have improved are the men who have been on the road the longest.. the top 4.. Juz why I think it is a piss poor excuse.. England are a good team who slacked off against Ireland thinking the game was won. And Ireland put in a once in a year performance to beat them.. Surely not that hard to accept without whining and giving excuses like Marcuss is doing here...

In that post I did not say "England are jaded because they've been touring for ages".
Come back when you have a basic level of comprehension.

Yeah "having been on the road for so long, it is quite conceivable that the players have simply had enough" means something else... 8-)

The Indian players could have a 6 week break after the World Cup if they wanted. If they're jaded by the time they get to England then it's their fault.

Yeah.. Shock Horror that they have to play cricket for a team they are contracted to.. Sounds suspiciously similar to what England were doing before the WC.. 8-)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah.. Shock Horror that they have to play cricket for a team they are contracted to.. Sounds suspiciously similar to what England were doing before the WC.. 8-)
Playing international cricket and playing IPL cricket is not the same thing. If they were jaded and wanted a break before a big summer, then they could have one. Of course, their wallets would be a couple of million dollars lighter, so I doubt any of them will opt out of the IPL.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Playing international cricket and playing IPL cricket is not the same thing. If they were jaded and wanted a break before a big summer, then they could have one. Of course, their wallets would be a couple of million dollars lighter, so I doubt any of them will opt out of the IPL.
International or IPL, it is still "professional cricket".. These guys signed contracts and they are supposed to live up to them.. Simple, really.. IF the English players were really so jaded, they could have dropped off some of the ODIs against Australia too... I understand the whole "playing for the country" deal but honestly, so many players take voluntary breaks and it is not really so uncommon, unless these guys were worried about their places in the side..

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Look if you genuinely believe all that you've said in the above two posts you're either an elaborate troll (heh) or just not all there. Any serious reply would be wasted so I'm not even going to bother.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
International or IPL, it is still "professional cricket".. These guys signed contracts and they are supposed to live up to them.. Simple, really.. IF the English players were really so jaded, they could have dropped off some of the ODIs against Australia too... I understand the whole "playing for the country" deal but honestly, so many players take voluntary breaks and it is not really so uncommon, unless these guys were worried about their places in the side..
Congratulations on completely contradicting yourself in the space of two sentences.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Look if you genuinely believe all that you've said in the above two posts you're either an elaborate troll (heh) or just not all there. Any serious reply would be wasted so I'm not even going to bother.
Funny coz you only come up with (attempted) jibes and never actual replies and yet such comments are directed at me..

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Congratulations on completely contradicting yourself in the space of two sentences.
Funny coz you only come up with (attempted) jibes and never actual replies and yet such comments are directed at me..
Cut it out guys. This was an amazing match, there's no need to turn the thread into this.

Jacknife

International Captain
Fielding was good mostly when it mattered, or at least they were not dropping catches like flies when it mattered.. As I said, it just simply does not wash. And the worst culprit in the game against India was Shehzad.. Doesn't fill me with confidence he will be an Anderson in the field at any time at all... So really do not think it is a drop off in performance at least for him..
Well if you think that the fielding was good when it mattered, we will stop this right here,especially considering Shahzad only played one of the games and in the other 2 against Ireland and Ned, there were 12 catches put down.
Lets put it like this, if India had just been on a 3 month tour of Oz and done really well, then come back to pay in the WC and all of a sudden the thing that they usually excel in, starts falling to pieces, what would you be thinking?

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well if you think that the fielding was good when it mattered, we will stop this right here,especially considering Shahzad only played one of the games and in the other 2 against Ireland and Ned, there were 12 catches put down.
Lets put it like this, if India had just been on a 3 month tour of Oz and done really well, then come back to pay in the WC and all of a sudden the thing that they usually excel in, starts falling to pieces, what would you be thinking?
I am not saying they were all fresh.. but see how they were against RSA.. I just do not believe in this tiredness thing fully.. I think it is more because of the situation of the game against Ireland, that they took it a bit easy and were shocked by an awesome innings.. I just think the players were so shocked that they fielded poorly.. Plus that catch to Strauss was a real steepler.. There is every chance they will be put down, no matter how fresh you are..